Week 2: Arizona (14) @ Jacksonville (28)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Big D, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Big D

Big D Walk On

Oct 8, 2009
    Week 2: Arizona (14) @ Jacksonville (28)

Jacksonville has Arizona Jones-ing
    By: Harry Stone, Jacksonville Post Intelligencer

Hypenation not needed.

With star halfback Maurice Jones-Drew sidelined with a broken jaw, it was the more unhearlded Jones who stepped up in Jacksonville's Week 2 home game against the Arizona Cardinals.

Veteran fullback Greg Jones ran for three touchdowns as the Jaguars dismantled the Cardinals on the ground on their way to a 28-14 victory.

The mark was Jones' career high. "We knew with Maurice out they wouldn't expect us to be able to run the ball," he said. "But coach had faith in us let us do what we do best."

Indeed as the Jaguars used a remarkably efficient ball control offense to score on four of their first five possessions of the ballgame, and outgain the Cardinals 283 to 135 in total offense.

For the second consecutive week he Jaguars opened the game with a 10+ play drive. However, this time it in 6 points as Jones scored his first touchdown on an inside handoff.

The Cardinals would not go away however, and after a Jaguars missed field goal they would show their big play capability. Quarterback Kurt Warner found halfback Beanie Wells on a screen play to the right who broke a tackle and took it 49 yards to the house.

Arizona would keep it close until midway through the fourth quarter when Warner was sacked and fumbled the ball with big Jaguars defensive tackle John Henderson picking it up and running it in for the game breaking touchdown. A Rob Bironas extra point would make it 28-14, and the Cardinals wouldn't recover, allowing Jacksonville to pick up that much needed first win of the year.

Coach Dunlap was pleased with the win. "I think there's no doubt this game was won in the trenches. Those big poppas beat up on some guys today, and really set the tempo in our favor. I love our run offense and run defense, and if we can start to build around that I think it could be an exciting year for us."

Rookie tailback Rashad Jennings, starting in place of Jones-Drew, carried the ball 19 times for 106 yards. David Gararrd was equally effective going 12-14 for 115 yards.

Perhaps the tell-tale stat of the game was time of possession. Jacksonville won that batte 22:47 to 9:13.

Jacksonville (1-1)
    Total Offense: 283
    Rushing: 168
    Passing: 115
    3rd Down: 7-10 70%
    Turnovers: 1
    TOP: 22:47

Arizona (1-1)
    Total Offense: 135
    Rushing: 21
    Passing: 114
    3rd Down: 3-4 75%
    Turnovers: 3
    TOP: 9:13

D. Garrard 12-14, 155 yds, 1 INT
    R. Jennings 19 att, 106 yds
    G. Jones 9 att, 27 yds, 3 TD
    T. Holt 4 rec, 42 yds

K. Warner 10-15, 133 yds, 1 TD, 1INT
    B. Wells 7 att, 19 yds
    A. Becht 3 rec, 30 yds
    B. Wells 2 rec, 48 yds, 1TD

Jacksonville @ Houston
    Arizona vs. Indianapolis
  2. Big D

Big D Walk On

Oct 8, 2009
    Good game French. . .really did a nice job on short notice with his new team. He'll be a force in the NFC as it looks like he some big quick strike potential! He got unlucky on a couple of key defensive plays with some broken tackles.
  3. France719

France719 Guest

Very good game, but I just couldn't get your offense off the field and that killed me. I applaud your ball control.
  4. mustang20241

mustang20241 Walk On

Sep 24, 2009
    Yea, coach Dunlap loves to pound the rock and doesn't not allow the rock to be pounded. I made the trade Reggie Nelson, for Luis Castillo because the Jags run D needed help when I was the Jags owner. Looks like thats showing in dividens, held Donald brown to 11 carries for 30 yds.