Week 2: Browns (14) vs. Bucs (30)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Week 2: Browns (14) vs. Bucs (30)

Bucs Rebound Against Browns

by Antoine Buckman
    Blogger, Tampa Tribune

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers welcomed the Cleveland Browns to Tampa after Cleveland's impressive showing against division rival New Orleans. They then promptly showed them that the NFC South was a sleeping giant that just woke up, winning 30-14 at Raymond James Stadium this Sunday.

The game began with the Buccaneers' offense taking the field, and, using a balanced attack with Darren McFadden carrying the load, marched down the field to take a 7-0 lead on a 1 yard touchdown push by McFadden.

After holding the Cleveland offense to a punt, Tampa Bay again marched down the field, this time on the arm of Josh Freeman, who bulleted a pass to wide receiver Eddie Royal late in the first quarter to give the Bucs a 14-0 lead.

Cleveland, however, would not lay down and go away as Browns' teams have been known to do in the past. They got a drive of their own going quickly on the legs of stud veteran halfback Jamal Lewis and scored to bring it to 14-7 early in the second quarter. A late drive in the second quarter by Tampa Bay led to a Mike Nugent field goal and a halftime score of 17-7.

Cleveland would make adjustments and use the big play to their advantage in the second half, exposing some blown coverages to get within striking distance and scoring early in the third quarter to close the gap to 17-14. The Tampa Bay offense would then control the final quarter, along with some nice defensive takeaways, to seal the deal at 30-14.

"We had a good gameplan and executed," Coach Winuvas said after the game. "Give those guys on the other side credit though - they never laid down."

The Bucs landed 5 takeaways and held the Browns to 310 yards of total offense. Tampa Bay had an offensive explosion (for them), getting 428 yards of total offense on the day with a very balanced attack. Third down conversions were key, as Cleveland was held to 3-8 on third down, while Tampa Bay was 8-13 on third downs.

"When you convert on third down, you demoralize a defense, cause they have to work hard three more times to stop you. Hard to do consistently, even for a quality defense," Coach Winuvas commented.

Browns rookie quarterback Dane Morrow was harrassed all day, getting sacked 3 times and hurried on many of his dropbacks, and completed only 9 of 28 passes for 219 yards and five interceptions. Halfback Jamal Lewis had 12 carries for only 50 yards but did find the end zone twice. Rookie halfback Larry Mata provided a spark with 3 carries for 55 yards. Rookie tight end Cameron Jackson was Morrow's favorite target, getting 3 catches for 79 yards. Cornerback Eric Wright was Cleveland's best tackler, getting 6 tackles as well as the lone Josh Freeman interception of the day.

For Tampa Bay, Josh Freeman protected the ball well, going 18 of 29 for 288 yards and two touchdowns to go with an interception. Darren McFadden and Derrick Ward shared the load, with McFadden getting 19 carries for 78 yards and a touchdown, and Ward getting 11 carries for 55 yards. Chris Cooley caught 5 balls for 65 yards, but Eddie Royal (4 receptions, 60 yards) and Darren McFadden (2 catches, 80 yards) were touchdown recipients on the day. McFadden's was a 71 yard romp that put the game away late.

"Awesome individual talent there," Coach Winuvas mused. "Great play by a great player."

On defense, apparently defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka has heard he is trade bait. He amassed 3 tackles, 2 sacks, and the interception that ended the game. Five different Buccaneers got picks of Morrow, proving that anyone on the team can get takeaways.

"Overall great team effort today on defense," Coach Winuvas said at his press conference. "Those guys took offense to last week's effort and worked hard in practice this week to make amends. I think they did."

Next week, the team goes out to Seattle to play Coach Moogle and the Seahawks. After the 49-13 drubbing they received last year, is a little revenge in order with a revamped offense and focused defense? I'm still skeptical, but optimistic.

Keep up with all Bucs coverage on the franchise website:
    www.traditionfootball.com

2. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

GG Obisan. You've got that team playing better than their value. GL the rest of the way.

3. mustang20241

mustang20241 Walk On

YES. I should hate you for putting me 17 in your rankings, saying i will finish in last place, and saying the broncos game would be close, but I cant help but root for you. Nice win, win.

4. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

mustang, seems you ARE in last place in the AFC south. We will see in a couple weeks when we play each other.

GJ winny, your starting to get you feet under you.

5. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Mustang,

Sometimes motivation can come from unlikely sources. So I have simply one thing to say:

Prove me wrong.

I don't mind being wrong. :) And I think you can make me look like an idiot.

6. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Glad to see I have fans. But to be fair, with this team I am still only .500 (4-4 counting last season). Need to get more consistent offensive play and keep getting better to compete with the likes of the Colts, Patriots, Jaguars, and others.

Still not good enough yet.