Week 2: Colorado @ Washington

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by jca312, Jul 29, 2009.

1. jca312

jca312 Walk On

Week 2: Colorado @ Washington

Seattle- The University of Washington kicked off their 2009 campaign with a nail-biting 14-3 victory over a game Colorado University football team. The game was a defensive struggle throughout, with all of the scoring coming in the fourth quarter.**

With the score 0-0, the Huskies were finally able to punch the ball in with just under four minutes left in the game. Both teams had a few good drives that either stalled or were ended by turnovers.**Led by QB Locker and RB Polk, Washington drove down for the winning, but by no means deciding touchdown.**

"We tried hard to establish a solid running game all day, but it never really got going." a relieved Coach Alexander said at mid-field after the game "The commitment to the run really setup our touchdown."

With the ball inside Colorado's 5 yardline and chances running out, Coach Alexander sent in a play-action pass.**"It couldn't have worked any better, we really sold the run, Jake rolled back left and found big Izbicki who carried the defender into the endzone." Alexander recounted.**It wasn't a long play, but for a strugglng program with a new coach, the second-string TE's touchdown was as big as they get.

"I think after the touchdown, we got a little too comfortable." Alexander continued. "Part of that was on us as coaches, we weren't as aggressive with the play calls.**We started playing not to lose and it almost cost us."

Colorado received the ensuing kickoff and promptly drove down the field and kicked a field goal with 2:34 seconds left.**"I'm not sure what I woulda done there, but I definitely think he made the right decision." Alexander said f Coach Dogslax's decision to kick the field goal deep in Husky territory late in the game. "If not for a stellar defensive play, we wolda lost that game."

Down 7-3, Colorado kicked it deep and put their fate in the hands of their defense.**"We tried to mix it up, cause I knew they'd be geared up to stop the run. I felt like if we could get a first down, we'd be in great shape, two and the game was over." Alexander recounted, "But you gotta take your hat off to those kids, they stepped up and made plays all day."

The Huskies went three and out and had to give the ball right back to the Buffaloes who now had momentum and looked poised to claim their first victory of the year.**The Buffaloes were driving with ease into Husky territory once again, until with under a minute to play, Hawkins' pass to the left was intercepted and returned 3/4 of the field for a touchdown to put the game out of reach.

"That's a great team over there that didn't deserve to lose." Alexander said of the Buffaloes "If they keep playing like that, they'll be very successful this year."

Washington improved to 1-0 despite only gaining 239 yards of total offense, but it was enough on this day.**They can take heart in their defensive perfomance, which held Colorado to 200 yards of offense for the game.

2. Dogslax41

Dogslax41 Walk On

Great write up. This game was a blast to play. I honestly couldn't believe that I was playing an NCAA game that was a defensive slugfest tied 0-0 going into the fourth quarter. Tough way to lose, but also realistic to see a DB jump the curl route and take it all the way back

3. Bamaboiking

Bamaboiking Walk On

this game was epic a rare defensive battle i love it, hope i see more games like this

4. Sounds like an awesome game! Wish I could have seen it! Lowest scoring game I've had was like 17-20 haha