Week 2 Game Summaries

Discussion in 'Zeros to Heroes' started by Sabo, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Week 2 Game Summaries

Were moving right along, keep up the enthusiasm.

2. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Red Wolves shut out Ragin Cajuns

Just one week after taking a loss to Auburn, Coach Sabo and the Arkansas State Red Wolves opened up Sun Belt play vs. UL-Lafayette. Coach Sabo held true to his words after last weeks loss by saying he would never bring his team into a game unprepared again. The Red Wolves dominated on offense behind the running of starting hb Derek Lawson who rushed for 82 yards on 15 carries.

However good the offense was this week was over shadowed by the defense. Last week the spread attack chewed up the Red Wolves, but this week facing another spread offense the Wolves were firing on all cylinders. The Ragin Cajuns were held scoreless after 4 quarters of play. Coach Sabo even went as far as taking the first team out at the half. Sabo stated "We felt we were comfortably ahead and we wanted to give our entire team a chance to get some playing time".

This will be very important heading into next week vs. rival Troy who is said by many to be the favorite of the conference. Sabo said that after the week 1 loss he and his team watched alot of film and corrected the mistakes made. Coach Sabo said that he and the Red Wolves are anxious for next weeks match up with the Trojans.

The final in Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Arkansas State 45 UL-Lafayette 0

3. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

4. trustandfall

trustandfall Walk On

Note: Really frustrated with this game.. I was up 55-7 kneeling the ball to kill clock with just 1:37 left in the game when my game froze.. I lose some really nice defensive stats.. a pick and forced fumble for my star free safety, 2 FR for TD's by one LB, etc. And worst of all, in the 2nd game my starting half back got injured and is out for 11 weeks.. So now I'm out my starting HB, my third WR and my 2nd CB for 9 weeks or more on all 3.

Anyhow... In the second running of this game I won 38-0. I know I normally post super detailed game recaps, but I've spent the last 3 hours playing this game. I promise my next recap will be much better...

SMU wins to go on to 2-0. Padron player of the game with 420 or so yards passing and 4 TD's, 1 pick.

5. Tiger171

Tiger171 ONE FULL SEASON WITH NO TF's!! VICTORYYYY!!

Week 2 Recap: Toledo Rockets at Ohio University Bobcats

Toledo Rockets (0-2) 10
    Ohio University Bobcats (2-0) 41

Offensive Standouts

QB Boo Jackson
    16/31 269yds 2TD 1INT
    3 carries 16yds

HB Joey Inks
    16 carries 131yds 3TD

WR Lavon Brazill
    5rec 70 yds 1TD

Defensive Standouts

MLB Noah Keller
    5Tkls 1INT

LE Dak Notestine
    4Tkls 2.0 Sacks

The Ohio Bobcat offense fell into a groove early in the game yesterday afternoon scoring 3Tds early on to give them an early cushion. The offense looked to be clicking on all cylinders with just a few minor hiccups. The defense had a better outing than week 1 but showed some signs of fatigue and complacency late in the game yesterday. Our reporters caught up with Head Coach Robbie Garrison as he and his team were leaving the field and this is we got from him:

"I couldn't be happier with our performance today! These guys really came out and did what we asked of them all week in practice. The offense looked great today with the exception of a few mistakes but we'll address that in practice this week. The defense really impressed me today, we worked them like dogs all week and really needed them to step up and that's just what they did, really, really impressed with their improvement! We have a big test next week with the big boys up the road and we're gonna have to be ready for a dogfight because we know that those guys are gonna be ready!"

See you guys next week in Columbus! Again, the final score here in Athens is the Bobcats 41 and the Toledo Rockets 10.

6. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Both SMU and Ohio are off to great starts. Ohio is my early season pick to win the MAC. Were getting close to user game time which will be the true tests for all of our teams.

7. dubb40

dubb40 Sideline Football, We Rock!

Louisiana Tech vs. Texas A&M

College Station

Texas A & M viewed this game as a formality, a game on there way to greatness. The Louisiana Tech Bulldogs viewed this game as a time to make a statement.

The Bulldogs did just that pulling off the upset over the homesteading Aggies 24-17. The Bulldogs were led by the duo of Colby Cameron and Admad Paige who hooked up in the clutch time and time again converting 3 3rd and long situations.

This game looked like it would be a blowout for the Aggies as Cyrus Gray took the opening kickoff 94 yards for six and then the Aggies tacked on a FG following a Tyrone Duplessis fumble.

"I just put the fumble behind me and came out and ran hard" said Duplessis. Run hard he did. Duplessis finished with 94 yards on 23 carries and had a breathtaking touchdown on a option in the 2nd quarter.

The Bulldogs used that touchdown to propel them to a 10-p 2nd quarter, after a scoreless 3rd quarter for both teams, Safety CJ Broades scooped up a Jerrod Johnson fumble and took it 53 yards to put the Dogs up 14 with less than 2 min to play. The Aggies scored to pull within 7 after a Ryan Tannehill TD catch, but the Bulldogs ran out the clock after that to preserve the victory.

"I'm proud of my guys, they took a punch early and withstood it and put together a great game." Coach Darren Douglas said after the game. "Now it's business as usual, we celebrate tonight, rest tomorrow, and get back to work on Monday."

8. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Great win for La Tech. Texas A&M is a very underrated team. That win will definately help ur case for a bowl come bowl selection time. Too bad all of us don't have the capabilities to record games cause this looked like a great one to watch.

9. bdub

bdub Walk On

Utah State vs. Idaho State

Utah State (1-1) 17
    Idaho State (0-2) 10

Offensive Standouts

QB Diodre Borel
    7/12 73 yards and 1 interception

HB Robert Turbin
    24 carries 108 yards and 2 touchdowns.
    6 catches for 48 yards

Defensive Standouts

Rajric Coleman
    4 tackles

Nathan Royster
    2 tackles and 1 sack

Utah State came out ready to play in this one and jumped out to an early 10 - 0 lead, however in the 2nd quarter disaster struck and star QB Diodre Borel was knocked out of the game with a minor injury. Backup QB Jeff Ficher starting his first College Game seemed to struggle and was only able to add one more touchdown before the end of the game.

This left the defense to shoulder much of the load and they performed well limiting Idaho State to only 10 point.

Coach B said while he would have like to see us take a bigger lead, holding on and winning this game after our star player gets knocked out goes to show how resilient we are as a team.

10. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

I guess playing a high caliber team week 1 prepares us better for playing our normal opponents. Good win bro

11. ChaoticUT

ChaoticUT Life is Orange and White!

Final Score:
    UTEP 21 - Houston 35

Houston put up 28 unanswered points before UTEP was even able to get on the board. Case Keenum put on an absolute clinic against the Miner defense and looked to be in Heisman form going 18 of 22 for 367 yards and 2 TDs through the air. Byrce Beall added another 2 scores on the ground as the Cougars were up 35-7 at half. The Miners tried to put a last minute comeback in the second half but fell short due to a lack of a passing game, among other things. Donald Buckram had another solid game on the ground rushing for more then 100 yards and a score. The Miner's offense sputtered in the early parts of the game partly due to bad QB once again as Vittatoe threw another pair of weeks for the second week in a row. "I'll take partial responsibility for the bad play of Vittatoe, we had a game plan and I didn't stick to it, this won't happen again" said Coach Summes. In fact, the bad QB play led to Vittatoe being benched and backup speedster James Thomas to enter the game. At that point the Miners offense got back on track and looked like a well oiled machine running the option at will. However, the game was already out of reach at that point in the game. UTEP will look to bounce back next game against New Mexico State.

Offensive Player of the Game:

C. Keenum (Houston): 18-22 for 367 yards- 2TDs

Defensive Player of the Game:

Marcus McGraw (Houston): 13 tackles- 2 forced fumbles​

12. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

Nevada Rolls On

Nevada Wolf Pack (1-0) 38
    Colorado State (0-2) 3

Offensive Standouts

QB Colin Kaepernick
    16/28 203yds 1TD
    9 carries 28yds

HB Via Taua
    23 carries 128 yds 3TD

WR Virgil Green
    4rec 54yds

Defensive Standouts

DE Dontay Moch
    6tckl 2sacks 1FF

MLB Joe Easter
    9tkls 1FF 1TD

Nevada's home opener was definitely a shaky one, as the Wolf Pack found themselves trailing 0-3 after 1 quarter and leading only 7-3 at the half. In the early going, Colin Kaepernick misfired on two long throws which saw his receivers standing wide-open in the endzone. The receivers could only shake their head in amazement as the defense was completely fooled both times. Meanwhile, CSU was stacking the line early and often, clearly frustrating HB Via Taua as he struggled to gain extra yards.

After halftime, Nevada looked like a different team. Joe Easter had perhaps the game-changing play of the game, as he forced a fumble and picked it up from 39 yards out for a touchdown. From that point on, it was all Nevada. Via Taua and the offensive line started to wear out CSU, resulting in runs of 5+ yards everytime Taua touched the ball. On the defensive side, CSU was outmatched and outhustled as Nevada recovered fumbles on CSU's first three possessions of the 2nd half.

It is still early in the season, but this Nevada Wolf Pack team could be a dangerous team to go against in the WAC. "To score 38 straight points after being down early tells a lot about this team. I can't wait to face Cal," said an excited Taua.

Column 1
    Nevada / Colorado State
    1st Downs 31 / 16
    3rd down efficiency 50 / 36.36
    4th down efficiency 50 / 0
    Total Yards 420 / 209
    Passing 203 / 33
    Completion Attempts 16 - 28 / 6 - 8
    Yards Per Pass 7.25 / 4.13
    Rushing
    Rushing Attempts 32 / 31
    Yards Per Rush 4.88 / 2.13
    Turnovers 2 / 3
    Fumbles Lost 0 / 3
    Interceptions Thrown / 2 0
    Possession 18:33 / 16:59

13. csboiler05

csboiler05 Walk On

Rutgers Scarlet Knights (9) @ FIU Golden Panters (17)

In what can only be described as the Golden Panthers biggest win in school history, the Golden Panthers, used solid defense and a ball control offense to upset Rutgers 17 -9, in Miami. In looking at TOP the Panthers held a seven minute advantage over the Scarlet Knights, and that enabled them to hold on for the victory, although a late 4th quarter 50yard pass from Savage to K. Stroud had Golden Panther fans sitting on the edge of their seats.

Coach Stewart was quoted after the game as saying "To some this victory might come as a surprise, but I've seen this team practice and come together, and we are capable of truly special things. This is the first step in the right direction, but at the same time it's just one out game on the schedule. We'll enjoy the victory tonight, and then we move onto preparing for a tough Texas A&M squad, which I'm told was just upset today, so we know they'll come in ready fired up and ready to play".

Rutgers / FIU
    1st Downs 11 / 11
    Total Offense 273 / 265
    Rushing Yards 41 / 80
    Rushing Attempts 20 / 30
    Passing Yards 232 / 185
    Completion Attempts 16 - 32 / 9 - 20
    3rd down efficiency 8 / 46
    4th down efficiency 50 / 0
    Turnovers 1 / 1
    Fumbles Lost 0 / 0
    Interceptions Thrown 1 / 1
    Possession 13:26 / 20:39

14. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

congrats on the win against rutgers!

15. OnIowa

OnIowa Zeroes to Heroes

San Diego State Aztecs (2-0) 45 vs. New Mexico State Aggies (0-1) 0

From the get go, this game was over. The Aztecs held the Aggies to a three and out their first possesion of the game, and then San Diego State's first play from scrimmage was a 68 yard touchdown run by Brandon Sullivan. Sullivan has helped to balance the normally passing heavy offense of the Aztecs and rushed for 127 yards on 13 carries and 4, yes 4, touchdowns. Ryan Lindley found his accuracy completing 14 of 19 passes for 165 yards with 1 score and 1 interception. "I think it was just first week jitters" said Lindley, "I am really excited to see what this team can do the rest of the season."

The Aztec defense was impenetrable today in Las Cruces. BJ Williams was arguable the player of the game, even will Sullivan's big day on the ground. Williams tallied 3 tackles, 3 sacks, and interception, and a 90 yard fumble return that he almost took to the house. Williams now has 5 sacks on the season and will be a force to be dealt with the rest of the season. The Aztecs forced 4 turnovers during the game, including 2 fumbles and 2 interceptions.

San Diego State will face its first real test of the season when they take on the Tigers of Missouri in Columbia, Missouri next week and look to start their season 3-0.

New Mexico State San Diego State
    1st Downs 18 16
    3rd down efficiency 11.11 42.86
    4th down efficiency 0 0
    Total Yards 335 357
    Passing 152 165
    Completion Attempts 14 - 22 14 - 19
    Yards Per Pass 6.91 8.68
    Rushing
    Rushing Attempts 26 19
    Yards Per Rush 1.15 5.53
    Turnovers 4 1
    Fumbles Lost 2 0
    Interceptions Thrown 2 1
    Possession 18:34 16:06

16. JVrazorback

JVrazorback Walk On

Final score Memphis 63 ECU 10

For the second straight week the memphis offense has been unstoppable. Qb Tyler bass says he owes all his success to his reciver Markus Rucker who has caught everything he has thrown his way. Rb's Smith and Ray have dominated the ground game rushing for over 250 yrds combined. The duo scored 3 Td's a piece before the end of the 3rd Qtr. Both Rbs went down with minor injurys and Sophmore rb Stephon Daniels came in and closed the game out avg 8 yrds a carry. Not bad for a guy who is curantly 3rd on the depth chart. One thing the tigers didnt do so well last week vs Miss st was play defense, that changed this week and the tiger D only gave up 3 points to the ECU offense. the only ECU touchdown came on a pick 6.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]