Week 2: Jags 26, Chargers 9

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Big D, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Big D

Big D Walk On

Week 2: Jags 26, Chargers 9

Green Machine Returns to Form

By: Harry Stone, Jacksonville Post-Intelligencer
    September 1, 2010

SAN DIEGO- It wasn't like the defense played bad in week one.

Out of the 23 points the Jaguars allowed, one was directly off an interception from quarterback David Garrard, and two more were results of turnovers by the offense that set up their opponent in great field position.

Against San Diego, the only two offensive scores were also results of turnovers. Again another interception by Garrard that was returned for a touchdown in the game's opening minutes, and another Garrard INT that was returned deep into Jaguar territory. 9 points went to the Chargers, but that's all they could muster.

The mean spirited Jacksonville defense forced six Charger turnover, four of those interceptions by All-Pro quarterback Phillip Rivers. The 'Green Machine', as they've been affectionately named for years by fans, allowed just 151 yards of total offense. Through two weeks, they have allowed just 62 total rushing yards by their opponents.

"What a gosh darn mean group of guys we have playing defense out there this year," said Coach Dunlap. "They really just go out there and knock heads and bang guys around. I'm really proud of the way they've preformed during the first two games."

The defense was missing a key member, Pat Simms, who was late getting on a plane to Jacksonville after last week's trade. However the absence of the big DT wasn't felt with rookie Tyson Alualu plugging up the middle in Jacksonville's 3-4 schemes. When they went to a 4-3, pressure from the outside ends Aaron Kampman and Shawne Merriman kept Rivers offbalance.

The offense again was stagnant, with Garrard throwing two more interceptions. Through two games, he has no touchdowns and four interceptions.

However Maruice Jones-Drew was effective as usual. Even when facing constant eight man fronts shown by the Charger defense, Jones-Drew found some running room and carried the ball 24 times for 97 yards and a touchdown. He also caught four passes for 41 yards.

The Jaguars now get ready for their early season highlight game, an OMFL Bowl rematch against the Vishal coached Philadephia Eagles. That game will be broadcast on national television and the Post-Intelligencer will have a special preview in the days to come.

2. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

You're not pulling the wool over my eyes buddie. I am watching and taking note.

3. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

I didn't know you played the Broncos week 1 and week 2 (y)

4. sammymitchell25

sammymitchell25 Walk On

Yeah, everyone still thinks im the Broncos, I played horrible. Worst passing display ive ever seen, Hats off to Dunlaps D. especially that darn CB Cox, who at times looked like HE was running my routes and Floyd was the corner. Game stayed close for a while, as Dunlap kept driving with the ball, I managed to keep him to alot of FG's. Thank god.

I cant win when I turn the ball over that much, especially vs a good owner like Dunlap.

I still cant believe how bad my offense played. Icing on the cake was when my offense finally was able to put a little drive together, what seemed like an incomplete pass, turned out to be called a fumble, and even seemed to be called late.

Dunlap, let me know what u were thinking about that or was it just me. NOT the difference in the game, just a horrible ending to a lousy played game by me.

gg Dunlap and good luck going forward

5. Big D

Big D Walk On

Gg Sammy. And yah, I thought you were gonna challenge that hahaha.

Nate, not trying to pull the wool over anybody...:) I'm not quite sure what u mean actually.

6. Big D

Big D Walk On

Gg Sammy. And yah, I thought you were gonna challenge that hahaha.

Nate, not trying to pull the wool over anybody...:) I'm not quite sure what u mean actually.