Week 2: Lions @ 49ers

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by HarkTheSound, Sep 20, 2012.

1. HarkTheSound

HarkTheSound Walk On

[​IMG][​IMG]
    After holding on in a shootout last week against the Packers, the 49ers came into this contest the favorites. The Lions' offense was sharp in its own right last week after they put up 31 points and 498 yards. However, Detroit did not initially carry that momentum into this matchup.​
    A fumble on the opening kickoff, and back to back interceptions (one a pick six) later the Lions quickly found themselves down 21-0 at the end of the first quarter. It was a dismal start to say the least.​
    The Lions would later tack on a field goal, after entering the redzone. After their D stepped up and forced a punt, the Lion's ran a power-o run play in the shadow of their own endzone, and Jahvid Best scampered 95 yards to the endzone in what was perhaps the biggest play of the game. The Lions would intercept the Niners in the endzone on San Fran's next possession, and would capitalize once again as Stafford connected with Calvin Johnson to cut the lead to 21-17.​
    The 49ers would score quickly, only to have Calvin Johnson blow by questionable press coverage and score on a, 80-yard touchdown with a little over a minute left in the half. Unfortunately, they left too much time on the clock for Colin Kapernick, who methodically drove down the field and the 49ers converted a field goal to make it 31-24 at the half. Time for both teams to catch their breath.​
    The 49ers slowed the pace of the game considerably and chewed up more than 4 minutes of clock and scored another touchdown that was an absolute dagger of a score. They pounded the ball and converted multiple third downs en route to another Kapernick touchdown pass.​
    The Lions weren't out of it though and fought back, a trademark of their 10-6 campaign a year ago as well. They scored 14 unanswered as their offense simply could not be stopped. Stafford shredded the 49er secondary, similar to the way Aaron Rodgers did last week against this same team. The Lions tied the game in the 4th quarter at 38-all.​
    The 49ers were determined to not blow the victory. Kaepernick led another drive down the field, but the biggest play was made by the Lion defense. On 3rd and inches in the redzone, the Lions would send all three linebackers on a blitz to the left side. It was a calculated gamble; if they were right, they would stuff Frank Gore in the backfield. If they chose the wrong side, it was likely that Gore would waltz into the endzone.​
    All three linebackers drilled Gore for a three yard loss, and the 49ers settled for a field goal to make it 41-38 with a little over 2 minutes remaining. Once again, the Lions would not be stopped as they drove the length of the field and entered the redzone. The 49ers would stiffen up themselves, however, as a sack forced the Lions out of their regular offense and would force a field goal to make it 41-41 heading into Overtime.​
    The 49ers would win the toss, but the Lions' defense continued their momentum from the end of the 4th quarter and forced a three and out. A sack on the drive would pin the Niners deep in their own territory, so the Lions ended up with great field position after the punt.​
    This time, Jahvid Best would carry the offensive load and gained huge chunks of yardage on multiple plays during the drive, none bigger than the deciding 30 yard touchdown run as he dove into the endzone to complete the improbable Lions' comeback, 47-41. The Lions are now 2-0 on the season.​
    Crazy, crazy game. My offense was just on fire. Every play I ran seemed to work. Even a WR screen, which never work for me, resulted in an 70+ yard TD for Calvin Johnson. My passing attack definitely set up those huge runs I had as well.​
    Box Score:
    QB Matt Stafford: 23/30 415 yards, 3 TDs 2 Ints​
    RB Jahvid Best: 11 carries, 226 yards, 3 TDs​
    WR Calvin Johnson: 9 catches, 256 yards, 3 TDs​
    QB Collin Kaepernick: 291 yards, 4 TDs 1 Int​
    RB Frank Gore: 22 carries, 80 yards​
    WR Michael Crabtree: 6 catches, 77 yards, 2 TDs​

2. JSimms

JSimms TLY Season 1 Champs!

Looks like a very exciting game!

Quick question - does anyone know if there are gameplay sliders to help everyone out on defense? Defense seems to be nonexistent in most games. I've always been pretty good at D on Madden, but it seems like the only way I can get stops on the current gameplay sliders are dropped passes on 3rd down or via a turnover. Crazy to see the 49ers, with that defensive roster, allow 650+ yards of offense! And trust me, Caleb is no slouch on defense...

3. AgenT Smith

AgenT Smith Walk On

Zone defense in this game is nonexistent. And we play Tampa 2, which makes things harder...

4. CalebMackie

CalebMackie Easy like Sunday morning

I have the 49ers defense and Jahvid Best ran for 200+ yards on 11 carries... It wasn't the sliders that were a problem though...

5. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Lol...so it was?

6. CalebMackie

It's hard to stop speed backs on these sliders (y)

7. dakota7

Default?

8. CalebMackie

We're playing on a speed threshold that makes the faster players fast which I have no gripes with, just merely stating that running the ball to the outside becomes more powerful if overused.

9. dakota7

Ok...I saw that was the only change. I'm not really a slider guy... Even so, 11 carries for 226 is a lot. I know I couldn't run at all against you, seems like a really high ypc for that defense. Pretty sure you didn't get any worse from week 1 to week 2.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    Just as an outside of the league guy, Jahvid Best almost never runs straight up the middle. He goes between the guard and tackle at times, but almost never up the gut. Even on draw plays (which is the majority of the Lions real life offense), he still goes either outside the tackle or between the tackle and guard. He's not an inside runner at all, and he's an injury waiting to happen if used as a "typical" back.

11. CalebMackie

Not everything occurs the same way in real life as it does in Madden hence why there are staples on things like Hb draws happening as the majority of your runs since for the games sake it's a little OP.

12. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    I know that. But running up the middle with the Lions is all but impossible. Not all teams focus their running game on runs up the middle, so why try to make every player focus their running up the middle when the interior line isn't built for it whatsoever?

I mean, I'm not in the league, but it just doesn't make sense to try to make every team run the same style running offense.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  13. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

Ya, i think we play on 35 speed threshold, i would prefer default, speed will always kill, but wont be as important on default settings IMO. Combined with the bad pursuit angles, once they get outside, speedbacks will get huge yardage.

14. AgenT Smith

AgenT Smith Walk On

Basically Reggie Bush when he first came out.

CalebMackie if you want a tip, make sure you have your ends or OLBs contain the outside. I'm not sure if you run a 3-4 or 4-3, but either way your defense should have the athletes on the outside to keep guys like Best from continually breaking runs outside. I was able to contain James Starks, who doesn't have Best speed but isn't slow, just by having OLBs and CBs contain the outside. It does help having Peppers and Idonije though.

15. CalebMackie

I am not saying every offense must be the same, I am saying that when you play a game that lasts over an hour I expect to see variety. There's a difference between sticking with your strengths and keeping defenses honest. I have one of the best backs in the NFL with Frank Gore but that's not to say I won't get LaMichael James in the mix and go outside instead of pounding the ball into the middle all game. Just because Best isn't a RB that runs the ball inside doesn't mean who couldn't have used Kevin Smith for inside runs. It's about the variety not about the similarity; people tend to get bothered when they are seeing the same couple of things throughout a match.

16. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    That's the one issue I have with the "sim" idea. If a play is working because the other team can't stop it (but not some exploit, like running mass draws because the game can't defend it or 15 fades to Calvin Johnson), a team isn't going to change. I've watched games where a team has ran the same exact running play 4 plays in a row on the Lions because they couldn't stop it. Just a basic Power O that went for 10+ 4 straight plays.

17. HarkTheSound

HarkTheSound Walk On

Alright, enough of me sitting on the sidelines for this.

For starters, I probably ran two draw plays against you the whole game. I ran three or four running plays from the shotgun with pettigrew/the fullback in the back field for more "power running."

The other 5 or 6 running plays I had were stretch/Power-O/one or two ISOs plays. One of those Power-O plays went 95 yards. I scored the OT touchdown on a stretch play. I never called the same run play more than two times, so please don't insinuate that I did so.

The Rams user had no problem with the way that I played, and you shouldn't either.

You message me saying I can't go for it on 4th and goal from the 1 yard line and I'm down 21-0. I kicked the field goal to not ruffle any feathers.

You message me accusing me of using run commit, when I clearly blitzed all three linebackers on that 3rd and inches. I don't even use run or pass commit, on Madden or NCAA.

You complain to me about using Calvin Johnson, when every throw to him was a different play. I burned you 70+ yards on a screen pass. I burned you 80 yards on a go-route because you decided to press him with no safety help.

I could easier have complained about you going for the hit stick tackle every play, but I didn't.

You gave up 38 points and almost 500 yards of offense to the Green Bay user last week. I racked up 600+ on you and scored 47. Maybe our two offenses have just been better than your defense the past two weeks? Don't be so quick to blame the game/settings/whatever when I beat you fair and square.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

Down 21-0 4th and goal at the one, i probably would of let you go for it, that is just me, it is a realistic situation.

What is wrong with run commit? is that cheap now? I've been trying to find out how to do it since i heard it was back. Before, it was pressing right stick down after snap, doesnt seem to work like that now...

Again, is run committing or pass committing for that matter cheap? Dont remember seeing anything that said it was.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    I can't figure out the down 21-0 and 4th and goal on the 1. I want someone to explain to me what is wrong with that. Teams go for it on 4th and 1 all the time...

20. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

Nothing, especially in this league. i believe the rule is if you are pass the 50 with 2 yards or less to go, you can go for it. There isn't a losing or winning provision in the rule, if you pass 50 2 yards or less, you are good.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Ghost

Ghost Before the rollieee!

LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE

• Like Like x 1
  22. dakota7

My yardage was all passing yards because I couldn't run to save my life, that's why your stat line stuck out to me. Having 1 run go for 95 makes the rest a little more palatable, 10 for 131?

23. HarkTheSound

HarkTheSound Walk On

I believe I had 3 runs over 20 yards, including the 95 yarder. I used the pass to set up the run, that's a big reason why I found myself down 21-0 because I threw 2 early interceptions. I got into a groove though, and called running plays when his team was in the Nickel a lot of the time.

24. CalebMackie

You called the ENTIRE game out of shotgun, literally the only time you weren't in shotgun was the last drive of the game when you were guaranteed a field goal in OT so the whole "I ran when his team was in Nickel" shit is hysterical to me. What the hell am I supposed to do? Play 3-4 when I can clearly see that you were mad at yourself for throwing a pick 6 in the first quarter and was down 21-0? You ran 9 of your 11 rushing plays out of the shotgun ON PURPOSE to abuse the fact that I would swap to Nickel to cover your plays. By the way going for it on 4th and 1 is not something most teams in the NFL do when there is like 4 minutes left IN THE FIRST QUARTER. I aslo find it hilarious how I called you out on the 4th and goal because it was a horrendous play call in the first place and then you lied and said "whoops damn gameflow." By the way all of your running plays were described as outside runs could this have been because they generally have more success? Especially when you are in the shotgun all game? More than likely that's a yes. I also never accused you if you ran commit, I asked you if you did since you were in my back field almost before the ball was even received by my QB which is generally a sign of run commit. Run committing IS cheap and I could almost guarantee that anybody else on this site who plays sim ball would agree.

I had a problem with your gameplay because it was not sim play in my eyes, what it looked like to me was you drastically trying to make a comeback in the first quarter and doing every borderline thing you could do without actually getting shit for it. Sorry but I won't sit by and take that shit, especially since the only thing you could come up with was that I hit sticked too often, if anything that's a favor to my opponent since I eff up like 80% of the time with it anyway so that's not even a huge deal but at least I am willing to admit that I do hit stick too often.

Stop lying to make your shit look better because you totally didn't even admit to me the first time that you wanted to go for that 4th down, OH and even if you were going to go for it you are supposed to notify the user ahead of time so they have a chance to pick a play properly so you obviously made an emotional decision to go for it cause you were upset.

25. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    You seem way too mad, dude. You also must've never watched the Lions ever in your life...