Week 2 Panthers(13) @ Falcons(38)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by wajomatik, Oct 22, 2009.

1. wajomatik

wajomatik Magister De Puer De Vacca

Week 2 Panthers(13) @ Falcons(38)

Falcons D Puts On A Show
    Birds and Braves- Atlanta Sports Blog
    Xavier Washington

The Atlanta Falcons(2-0) put the "D" in dominance this week as they rolled division rivals the Carolina Panthers(1-1). "First off I want to say our defense played outstanding, my hat goes off to those guys. Our offense didn't really get going until the second half, we had some special teams mistakes, and our defense didn't budge. They literally had to learn a completely different system in less than a week," Coach Wajy said at the post game press conference, referring to the teams decision to fire defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder.

The offensive struggles that the Panthers would face were foreshadowed on the teams opening drive which went three and out. On the ensuing drive the Falcons would use a methodical drive to move the ball capped off by Jason Snelling’s 14 yard run. After a three and out by Carolina, Matt Ryan would turn the ball on an interception by Jon Beason. Again the Panthers failed to move the ball and were forced to punt. Jerious Norwood muffed the punt and the Panthers recovered. Capitalizing on excellent field position Jake Delhomme would run the ball in for a TD. That was the last the Panthers would see of the end zone until the fourth quarter as the Falcons reeled off 31 unanswered points. Even more impressive was that the offense seemed not quite in rhythm as the Panthers defense applied intense pressure. “Our offense made some mistakes and had a few missed opportunities. We have to protect Matt a lot better than we did today. Although I want to say our running game was great today, if we can run the ball like that we are going to be successful.” Wajomatik said of the offensive production. The Panthers defense punished Matt Ryan sacking him six times and knocking him down several times.

Defense was impressive forcing six punts, two interceptions, two forced fumbles, and John Abraham had two sacks on the day. Jake Delhomme was under constant duress all day. If the defense comes out with the intensity they had today for the rest of the year watch out for this team.

Atlanta Falcons
    M. Ryan 303Yds 2TD 1Int 18-24
    M. Turner 98Yds 16Att 2TD 4Rec 52Yds
    R. White 5Rec 151Yds 2TD

Carolina Panthers
    J. Delhomme 160Yds 2TD 2Int 13-34
    D. Williams 2Yds 5Att
    S. Smith 3Rec 83Yds 1TD

2. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

Great game Wajo. Delhomme will be sitting in Ice all week.

Falcons D came to play. Even though D.Williams got hurt and left the game, I was outmatched by the Falcons coach. He plays well controlling players offensively and defensively. I think Delhomme threw 10+ passes that went 2 yards for a incomplete pass due to him being hit as he was throwing. Falcons will be a hard team to beat, your going to have to break big plays and force turnovers to beat him. Good luck on the rest of the season, and we will meet again.