Week 2: Panthers Hold Off Late Surge, Defeat Philadelphia 42-35

Discussion in 'Game Summaries & Team News' started by LtJustice, Nov 28, 2012.

1. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

The Carolina Panthers knew that if they wanted to start the season 2-0 they would have their work cut out for them, visiting the always hostile Lincoln Financial Field to play the host Philadelphia Eagles. The Panthers looked like a team on a mission as they scored 28 unanswered points in the first half and it looked like they were en-route to a blowout, before they seemed to go into cruise control in the 2nd half and the Eagles came roaring back. The Eagles managed to put up four unanswered touchdowns late in the 2nd half, but the Panthers held onto the lead and won by a score of 42-35.

1st Quarter:

It was all defense early on as both teams were held to punts throughout most of the 1st quarter. The stalemate was finally broken late in the quarter as Panthers quarterback Cam Newton connected with receiver A.J. Green for a 49 yard touchdown pass, their first of three scoring connections on the day, to put Carolina up 7-0.

2nd Quarter:

The 2nd quarter was all Carolina as they put three more scores on the board. Newton would find Green for their 2nd scoring touchdown, this one from 52 yards out, to push the Panthers' lead to 14-0.

The Eagles would threaten to score in the final minute of the 1st half, as they drove into Carolina territory. Panthers rookie cornerback Wesley Orange, the 5th overall pick in this year's draft, would put and end to the Eagles threat; as he picked off a Ryan Tannehill pass and outran all of the speedsters on the Philadelphia offense to return it 87 yards for a score. 21-0 Carolina

With just under 21 seconds left on the clock, the Eagles opted to attempt a hail mary pass, in an attempt to gain some momentum back going into the half. The gamble didn't work out as Carolina All-Pro defensive end Charles Johnson would strip sack Tannehill inside the Philadelphia 10 yard line. After the Panthers recovered, Newton would run the ball in from 8 yards out for a 28-0 Carolina lead going into the half.

3rd Quarter:

Things went from bad to worse for the Eagles as Carolina speedster Elijiah Mitchell would take the opening kickoff of the 2nd half back 107 yards for a touchdown and a 35-0 Panthers lead.

The Eagles would finally get on the board on their next possession as Tannehill drove the offense downfield and scored on a 9 yard pass to receiver Denarius Moore.

Carolina would answer right back as Newton connected with Green for thier third scoring hook-up, this one from 34 yards, to push the Panther lead to 42-7.

The Eagles would gamble on a 4th and inches play late in the 3rd, and Tannehill would find receiver Jeremy Maclin behind the defense for a 53 yard touchdown. Panthers lead 42-14

4th Quarter:

The 4th quarter would see the Panthers defense give up three straight touchdowns, as they failed to capitalize whenever they had a chance to get their hands on the ball, dropping multiple potential interceptions. The Eagles would get withing a touchdown in the final minute, on a 7 yard Tannehill to Desean Jackson touchdown, but a failed onside kick attempt and a scrambling 1st down throw from Newton to rookie receiver Patrick Wilkerson would slam the door on the Eagles and give Carolina a 2-0 start to their season.

Although very early, the Panthers currently sit alone atop the NFC South and will host the Dallas Cowboys in a Monday night matchup in week 3.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

GG Loren!
    ThaBayouChef

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
    • Like Like x 5
  2. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

Heck of a game, Jim! I tell you what those Madden gods did a complete 360 on me in that game. Never had so many things go wrong like that in 1 half of football. Just glad I could make it interesting in the end. You deserved that W though for sure. Couldn't even be upset about the loss. What I take away from that game is that Tannehill can definitely be my future QB. Guy can sling it for sure. (When I don't make errand throws, lol). Good luck the rest of the way man, hope to see you again!

• Like Like x 3
  3. thafuture3886

thafuture3886 Power Rankings Analyst

Hell of a comeback!

• Like Like x 3
  4. redlishus

redlishus PMFL Staff - El Guesser

This is a prime example why I play to my gameplan until about 4-5 minutes left in the game. Not saying Jim didn't, but with Madden, you never know when a comeback will show up! Way to keep at it Loren despite the halftime deficit.

• Like Like x 4