Week 3: Falcons @ Chargers

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Ace847, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Ace847

Ace847 Walk On

[​IMG][​IMG]
    The Falcons head to Southern California to see if they can crack an 0-2 start in the AFC West. The Chargers were looking at the standings and noticed that all their division rivals lost this week and were looking to keep the division competitive with a big win at home.

The Falcons force a punt on the Chargers first possession but on the next drive Rivers took advantage of good field possession and hit Floyd on a fade in the red-zone to give the Chargers an early lead.

The Chargers would score two more times before the end of the half and Atlanta would keep it close with 10 points of their own. The Chargers defense had a solid goal line stand to force Atlanta to a FG before the end of the half.

The Chargers add two more TD's in the third quarter one of which was a pick six by Stuckey.

There were three interceptions thrown by Matt Ryan today and I'm not sure exactly when each of them happened but one of them was returned for a TD and another one was in the red-zone on a miraculous diving interception to kill the Atlanta drive in the first half. Ryan was also sacked 4 times in the game by the Chargers opportunistic defense.

Turner ran the ball well rushing for over 100 yards and was a bowling ball breaking many tackles on inside runs but Atlanta had to abandon the run when they got down a few scores. Good game Hokie Effect.

Phillip Rivers bounces back from a 6 interception opening day game against the Raiders to be as proficient as a QB could be completing 100% of his passes and three TD's! Rivers becomes the 17th QB in the last decade to end the game with a perfect passer rating.

Player of the Game: Offense: Phillip Rivers 12/12 229 yards and 3 TD's.
    Defense: Shaun Phillips 2 sacks, 1 int.

Chargers: 35
    Atlanta: 17

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Yep when I forced the Chargers to punt after an opening 3 and out I felt very good about the game, considering my defense has given up a million points so far. But that quickly ended when I couldn't convert a 3rd and short (I wanted to go for it really bad) and had to settle for a 55yd FG that fell short. That set the tone as everything went wrong for me there out. I couldn't get San Diego off teh field as they had a great balanced , ball contgrolling attack. I didn't even realize how effective Rivers was till after the game. So same story, different day for the Falcons. I move the ball but than throw a pick and I can't play defense. GG Danny....

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ace847

Ace847 Walk On

Oh yeah, I was waiting to pick my play on that 4th and short because I thought you might go for it. Your kicker has the leg to pull off the deep FG but it would have had to be full power probably. It was a crucial point in the game because that field position made it much easier for me to get something going on offense and ultimately score.

On another note: I was amazed when I picked off that pass in the end-zone before the half. I thought it was going to be a TD and instead my db dives in the end-zone to pick Ryan off. That must have been frustrating.... I've been on the other end of that once and I couldn't believe it. I have never seen an athletic diving pick like that in any other madden until M13. It adds a very exciting element to the game and rewards you for having high awareness/play-recognition players.

4. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

Thank You San Diego

• Like Like x 1