Week 3: Giants Win Thriller in Carolina

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by BlyGilmore, Sep 26, 2012.

1. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

The Giants and Panthers squared off in the Charlotte rain on a Thursday night matchup that turned out to be an classic.

Getting the ball first, the Giants marched down field on a balanced drive before scoring on a 10 yard run from Ahmad Bradshaw to go up 7-0. The Panthers, however, answered right back with a long drive of their own - hitting Steve Smith on a couple of big third down conversions and spreading the ball around to a number of receivers.

The two teams would match long drives again in the 2nd quarter, with the Giants scoring another touchdown and the Panthers being held to a field goal. With about 2 minutes left the Giant got the ball again, up 14-10. The Panthers got the first break of the game. Being a bit too aggressive in their playcalling, the Giants tried to pass on 3rd down and a bad pass by Eli Manning was intercepted by the Panthers MLB. Carolina capitalized on the mistake and scored to make the score 17-14 going into the tunnel.

Both defenses buckled down in the second half, mostly due to both teams making adjustments and bottling up the running game. After exchanging TDs, a Giant drive stalled just on the Panthers side of the 50 around the 5 minute mark in the 4th. With a 4th and 3 coming up, the Giants decided to punt and put the Panthers at their own 15. Up by a score of 24-21, the Panthers tried to put together a drive, and converted two first downs. But with the Panthers on their 40, the Giants defense buckled down and force a punt.

This is when the Panthers made their first mistake of the game - as their punter shanked the ball off the side of his foot, giving the Giants excellent field position with a little over 2 minutes left in the game. Mixing runs and passes, the Giants moved into field goal range and had a 1st and 10 from the 15 with under a minute left in the game.

A couple of plays later, dropping back to pass QB Manning found the Panthers pulling back their coverage to concentrate on a strike into the end zone. This left the flat wide open, and a short toss to HB David Wilson was caught and ran into the end zone to put the Giants up 28-24. The catch was Wilson's second TD reception of the game.

With about 30 seconds left, the Panthers tried to move the ball and completed a couple of passes against a loose Giants zone. But CB Corey Webster was able to seal the victory picking off a Cam Newton pass. The final - Giants 28 - Panthers 24.

With the win, the Giants move to 2-1 and first place in the NFC East.

POTG was Eli Manning with 3 TD passes to 1 INT. I might give it to HB David Wilson, who had about five touches all game, but two of them were 10+ yard TD receptions.

gg Blaza

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  2. BirdDog1980

BirdDog1980 Walk On

Just wanted to stop by and offer a piece of advice for Blaza on his punter real quick, because the same thing happened in our Week 1 matchup just before halftime, and it ultimately turned out to be the difference in our game.

It really appears that the kicker is in to punt, and he's shanking everything. Like in Preseason games when the 2nd & 3rd stringers come in to play. And it's costing Blaza big time in field position and the opponents are getting valuable points out of it.

So the first thing I would do is check your depth chart. Make sure the punter is at the P position. If in fact the Punter is in there.. cut his ass! Cause he's not getting the job done for ya. Go to the Free Agent pool and pick up a cheap punter with a big leg. As far as kickers & punters go, the only stat I really look at is Kicking Power. FGs & Punts are easy on Madden.. as long as you're in range, they're almost automatic, so I don't worry too much about accuracy or anything else. That's why I dumped Connor Barth & picked up David Buehler. It saved me $3 million on the cap, and Buehler hit a 60 yarder in Week 2.. so I know as soon as I get across midfield, I can put points on the board, and I can change up my offense a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BlyGilmore

Fucker.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

BlyGilmore

Good game Bly. Our second last second loss of the year--not the way we wanted to get started. This game really featured some solid play on both sides. Our biggest concern in the pre-game was the vaunted New York defensive line. On offense, I utilized a ton of max protection, keeping a back in on nearly every pass. This really gave Cam time to sling it around and we were pleased with the performance on that side of the ball. Newton connected with 8 different receivers and rarely made the wrong decision.

Defensively, we just weren't opportunistic enough and Eli made us may with some solid decision making of his own. Rarely did we give up the big play, but Manning did a great job hitting his spots and allowing the talent around him to make a play.

Overall, I'm happy with the direction of the club. Sometimes you come up short on a close one, but I really like our young nucleus. Next up will be a tough divisional trip down to Atlanta to face Hokie Effect and the Falcons.

5. Blaza

I noticed this after it happened for a second time against Bly when I KNEW I hit it with full power. Mare's old ass punted it 4 yards.

6. BlyGilmore

i'll put together highlights tonight when I get home from work ... so everybody will be able to see the magnificent punt.

so why was your kicker in at punter? that wasn't your first punt of the game and the other couple were fine.

7. Blaza

Nah, I think it actually was the first punt. I had my K (Mare) in as P on the depth chart. Kind of a cool touch by Madden....in past NCAAs/Maddens, you could use K's and P's interchangeably with no penalty.

8. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

Ya, Mare shanked 'em all night against me too.

9. BlyGilmore

Blaza

Video embedded into the first post.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blaza

A baby seal died on that failed punt :(

11. BlyGilmore

As did one on that INT before the half. One game. Two dead baby seals.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blaza

I enjoyed watching the highlights. In the end your d-line made big plays when it counted and Eli was zipping the rock around.

I get my FS Sherrod Martin back this week who will be a welcome reunion. He's only a 79 OVR, but Nakamura has been plain old rotten.

The G-Men have a nice little multi-headed RB monster brewing. I usually do ok stopping the run, swing-pass game, but you hurt me with nice plays there as well.

13. BlyGilmore

I just wish Wilson and Bradshaw had more of a contrast in styles than they do. That would make it easier to find roles for one or the other - almost like what you do with Williams as the every down back and Tolbert as a change-of-pace power back. Really the only thing Wilson does differently is he's a much better pass receiver while Bradshaw has a smidge more break tackle. But with how Madden plays this year I'd really almost prefer to have a speed guy (Wilson) and a battering ram instead of Bradshaw. We'll have to see what's up this offseason in that regard.

Anyway - both QBs were damn good in that game. Playing against guys like Cam is always a pain. He was surprisingly effective with the pass which really made it tough to call plays on defense. I don't even think you ran much ... maybe once or twice ... but the threat of you taking off really made life difficult.