Week 3: Illinois stays undefeated with win over Cards

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Will Clinton, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Will Clinton

Will Clinton Walk On

Jul 12, 2012
    Illini 3-0 for 2nd year in a row!

In week 3, the Cardinals of Louisville traveled to Champaign to take on the Fighting Illini of Illinois and went home on the wrong end of the scoreboard for the 2nd week in a row.

The Illini racked up 411 yds of total offense with 339 through the air as Sophomore Nathan Scheelhaase racked up another impressive performance to win his 3rd straight Player of the Game award. The defense came through for Illinois again holding the Louisville offense to only 227 total yds.

Sophomore RB Donovan Young had a pedestrian day with only 75 yds, but Jr TE Evan Wilson was the other offensive performer who brought his A-game today with 5 catches for 123 yds.

The defense picked up 2 sacks and 2 INT while MLB J. Brown led the charge with 7 total tackles.

Next week the Illinois squad looks to up its record to 4-0 against a woeful Louisiana Tech team.

Afterwards, we caught up with Coach Will Clinton.

“First off, I wasn’t happy with the last TD of the game. I had a run called to try and gain the 1st down to keep the clock moving, but my QB decided to take matters into his own hands. We were completely content to kick a FG from there. I don’t think that will be a problem from here on out after he gets very familiar with our stadium steps. Normally you won’t hear a coach say he isn’t happy with scoring points, but there has to be an element of class to your wins.

Second, we are happy we came away with a victory over such a good football team. We look forward to trying to stay undefeated next week.”