Week 3: Indianapolis (29) vs. Denver (31)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Oct 8, 2009
    Week 3: Indianapolis (29) vs. Denver (31)

Broncos Win Close, Turnover-Laden Game

by Myles Gelding
    Blogger, Denver Post

The Indianapolis Colts came into Invesco Field at Mile High this Sunday with confidence even with an 0-2 start. After five turnovers by quarterback Peyton Manning, the Colts still managed to make it a close game in Denver, but a last second field goal by Broncos kicker Matt Prater secured a 31-29 win for Denver.

The scoring started with a quality drive by Indianapolis. Peyton Manning made crisp passes across the middle to tight end Jacob Tamme and wide receiver Pierre Garcon to get a 27 yard touchdown.

Denver then moved the ball down the field, sneaking third-string quarterback Tim Tebow in a goal line formation. Tebow then used his playmaking skills to run a 7 yard touchdown. A missed extra point by kicker Matt Prater finished the scoring of the first quarter at 7-6.

Kicker Matt Prater was erratic on extra points, but money on long field goals, making a 45 yard field goal and a 20 yard field goal after interceptions of Peyton Manning. A 5 yard touchdown pass from Kyle Orton to Eddie Royal, along with a missed extra point, finished the first half at 18-7.

Midway through the third quarter, another slant hit from Orton to Royal made the score 25-7 after Prater finally made an extra point attempt. Two quick drives by the Colts (one of which was initiated by an Eddie Royal fumble) late in the third quarter made the score 25-20 going into the fourth quarter.

A third touchdown drive early in the fourth quarter by the Colts on a strike from Peyton Manning to receiver Austin Collie made the score 26-25 after Colts kicker Adam Vinatieri missed his second extra point of the game.

Exchanges of field goals by the Colts and Broncos made the score 29-28 late in the fourth quarter. With backup Brady Quinn being ineffective after Orton bruised his ribs earlier in the quarter, Coach Winuvas subbed Tebow in to run the two minute offense. Tebow converted a crucial third down play with a 23 yard run to get Prater within field goal range, and he delivered with :02 left to earn Denver the 31-29 final.

"The wind in Denver was whipping today, causing some serious issues at the ends of the stadium. That is what the architects explain to me anyway. Ridiculous if you ask me," Coach Winuvas said of the wind issues with extra points.

The Indianapolis Colts had a decent passing attack from Manning, who completed 24 of 42 passes for 329 yards and 4 touchdowns. However, five interceptions were costly in stopping drives by the Colts. Indy's running attack was non-existent, however, as halfback Joseph Addai ran 8 times for only 7 yards. On the receiving end, tight end Jacob Tamme was channeling his inner Dallas Clark, replacing the Pro Bowl tight end adequately with 8 catches for 122 yards and a touchdown. Defensively, the Colts' Antoine Bethea had 5 tackles and a forced fumble in the close loss.

For Denver, all three quarterbacks got action in this game. Starter Kyle Orton went 12 of 21 for 137 yards and 2 touchdowns. Backup Brady Quinn, who came in early in the fourth after Orton injured his ribs, went 7 of 14 for 62 yards. Tim Tebow, in limited plays, went 2 of 3 for 7 yards. Tebow's big play ability came on the ground, as he rushed 3 times for 30 key yards, including a touchdown and a 23 yard romp to set up the winning field goal. Halfback Knowshon Moreno was the workhorse, running 20 times for 95 yards. Receiving was shared by receivers Eddie Royal (6 receptions for 57 yards and 2 touchdowns) and Eric Decker (6 receptions for 49 yards), and on the defensive side, dime cornerback Perrish Cox, a rookie out of Oklahoma State, had 2 picks of Peyton Manning.

"Overall, I'm pleased with our performance, but not with our consistency on both sides of the ball," Coach Winuvas said after the game. "We have to do a better job of third down shutdowns on defense, and better first down execution on offense. We'll also be working on extra points in practice, which I can't believe I have to talk about."

Balance was key for Denver, as 188 of their 318 total offensive yards were through the air, and 130 yards were on the ground. Time of possession helped immensely, as Denver had the ball just over 4 minutes more than Indianapolis in the victory. Holding a team to 7 yards total rushing is definitely a good point on the defensive side of the ball as well, which is what Denver's defense did.

"Proud of those guys up front. (Defensive tackle) Jamal Williams was stout, as well as (defensive ends) Justin Bannan and Ryan McBean, in run defense. That allowed our guys in the linebacking corps time to get after Peyton and rush his progressions a bit," Coach Winuvas said of his defense.

With Jason Taylor showing up later this week in a trade from the New York Jets, Coach Winuvas was asked how he would integrate Taylor in with stud outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil.

"Jason Taylor is a skilled pass rushing veteran who knows how to play the game. We put him outside with Dumervil and let those two just pin their ears back and get after a quarterback on every play, and play stout defense behind those guys in coverage, and we'll be a force every week we show up on defense," Coach Winuvas said of Taylor. "Jason is a quality guy and player who can help coach up our reserves in Jarvis Moss, Cameron Sheffield, and Curtis Gatewood, and help our defense at the same time."

Denver (2-1) rides a two game winning streak into Tennessee to take on Coach Ox and the Titans, while the Colts (0-3) try to find some answers in Jacksonville against Coach Dunlap and his Jaguars.

Can Coach Winuvas keep the streak rolling against a tough Tennessee team? Can Tim Tebow surprise the Titans like he did the Colts? Only time will tell.

Keep up with all your Broncos coverage on the franchise website:
  2. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Oct 8, 2009
    The way I write my articles I don't take the time to congratulate my opponent.

Dave, that was one heck of a game man. Honestly could have, and should have, gone either way.

Only fitting that lag would be the possible culprit in a victory/loss. Can't believe we were nailing 40+ yard field goals, and we BOTH missed two extra points. lol

GG man, and good luck next week at Jacksonville!