Week 3: Jaguars (49) Titans (30)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Big D, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Big D

Big D Walk On

Week 3: Jaguars (49) Titans (30)

First off before I give my article, hats off to BigOx. He was up by 1 score in the 4th quarter when the game froze apparently for both of us. . .we waited on the screeen for like 30 minutes hoping it would unfreeze but it never did. Round 2 goes to the Jags, but Ox offered to restart. . .a gesture that surely won't be forgotten by this owner for as long as we play together in this league or others. Good karma will come around.

The Steve Smiths, errr Jaguars overcome Titans, now 3-0
    By: Harry Stone, Jacksonville Post-Intelligencer
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's go back to the offseason. Shortly before the draft the schedules for the upcoming season were announced by the OMFL. Jacksonville head coach Dunlap gets his morning coffee and heads into his office where a memo lay on his desk. It was the newly released schedule.

"I took one look at it, and I literally spit out my coffee. I thought this was some kind of prank by (Jaguars Vice President) Jack Del Rio. I saw the first seven games, all against playoff teams from last year, or teams who are set to be legit contenders this year. I thought it had to be a joke."

A joke it was not. The Jaguars would open Season 2 with this brutal schedule: Colts, Bills, Titans, Texans, Giants, Chargers, Colts. That lineup is enough to make any owner squeemish, and prepare for a rough season, but that is not the approach this team would take.

"That day I told the guys that we would have a chance to make headlines this year. If we played like I knew we were capable of, we would be the talk of the OMFL. The guys would finally get their spotlight, and these challenges should be met with and excitement! We were excited to play these teams. We were excited to show everybody exactly what this team is made of."

While many pundits predicted a good season for the Jaguars, even the most optimstic of them likely saw them faultering at some point early. While that may still happen, the Jaguars have done the unlikely. They have defeated three of the best in the AFC in consecutive weeks, and now stand alone on top of the AFC South, something they didn't do at all last season.

Their latest victim; the Tennesse Titans. These beats from Nashville have added a swarming defense to an already smashmouth offense built around superstar Chris Johnson. These teams battled twice last year, with teams splitting their games. But this year, that new defense had allowed only 6 points per game, good for best in the league. A newly designed 4-4 style had wreaked havok on good offenses so far, and they looked to make a statement in Jacksonville.

Jacksonville's defense used to be the headline makers on this team. However, they had been gashed by great offenses in Buffalo and Indianapolis for 24 points per game in the first two weeks, certainly not Jaguar-eque. But their defense would seem to match up well with the Titans, as their stout front 4 looked like it would be able to contan Chris Johnson.

However after just two series, it was apparent both defenses were going to have trouble stopping anything. On the first play for the Jaguars, Drew Brees found Steve Smith one on one on a deep post and he would connect and Smith would race into the endzone for a 74 yard touchdown putting the home team up early.

Tennessee would immediately answer with a quick strike drive capped off by a Lendale White one yard touchdown run. After a quick interception they would score again, this time on a 10 yard Chris Johnson run, and with 3:11 remaining in the 1st quarter it was 14-7 Titans.

However the Jaguars would have an answer, and they used a long drive with Maruce Jones-Drew taking over with a couple of nice runs and a few receptions out of the backfield to get them into Titan territory. For the second time Brees would find Steve Smith on a long pass, this time to the corner and he would almost score but be taken down after a 49 yard gain at the 1 yard line. Two plays later Drew Brees would bootleg out to the right and score on a one yard scramble, knotting the score at 14-14.

The story of the first half was Jacksonville's inability to stop the Titans, who would score on all six of their drives. They would kick three field goals and score a touchdown on a Matt Cassel quarterback sneak in the second quarter to get a little breathing room. The Jaguars only second quarter score came on a freak play, as Brees' deep pass to Dillard was tipped in the air, but Steve Smith would sneak in and grab the ball, then race to the house for his second touchdown reception. The score going into the half was 30-21 Titans, certainly not the low scoring affair many had predicted.

"I said some things I cannot repeat here to our defense at halftime. They were getting their butts kicked in every way imaginable. That was not Jaguar football I was seeing out there. I expected more from them, and lucky for us they provided it in the second half."

Dunlap's speech indeed did some good as that defense would look to clamp down after halftime, forcing the Titans in to a three and out on their first possession. Then, another long methodical drive by Jacksonville would be capped off by a Brees to Tony Richardson toughdown pass to pull the Jaguars to within two.

Again, the defense would clap down, forcing another Titan punt. Then the quick strike Jaguars would return, and yet another Drew Brees to Steve Smith touchdown pass would give them the lead 35-30.

More defense for the Jaguars in the fourth quarter, as they would intercept Matt Cassel twice. Their offense would do their part as well, as Maurice Jones-Drew scored on a long touchdown run and Steve Smith would catch his fourth touchdown pass of the day to seal the vicotry for the Jaguars 49-30.

Steve Smith had a monster game grabbing eight passes for 289 yards and those four big touchdowns. Drew Brees would finally get untracked in a Jaguar uniform, completing 19 of 29 passes for 429 yards and five touchdowns with only one interception.

Even with those two big days from their offensive stars, it was the stout defense in the second half that allowed Jacksonvlle to escape with a victory.

"The defense reponsded a big way by shutting out our opponent in the second half. That was huge. Look, even if we score those 49 points, if they allow another 30 like they did in the first half we lose. We needed them to step up and they did."

Maurice Jones-Drew had a quiet day, mainly because he was little used against the 4-4 defense of Tennesse. Jones-Drew carried the ball 10 times for 76 yards and caught 6 passes for 51 yards and had one touchdown.

"Maurice knew his role today. This is a team now, we can pull some of the load off of his broad shoulders. If teams are going to play 8 guys in the box against us there's no need to bang our heads against the wall with the run. We'll take what they give us, and today that was Steve Smith."

One star who was held in check was Tennesse's Chris Johnson. CJ2K had an unusually quiet afternoon with only 42 yards rushing and only two pass receptions.

Jacksonville improves to 3-0 on the year, and now takes sole possession of first place in the AFC South. They have another divisional battle against Houston next week before getting a much deserved bye in Week 5.

-------------------------------------------------------------

TEAM STATS​

Jacksonville

Total Offense: 503
    Pass Yards: 422
    Rush Yards: 81
    3rd Down: 5/8
    Turnovers: 1
    Time of Poss: 15:23

Tennessee
    Total Offense: 417
    Pass Yards: 369