Week 3: Jets (35) vs. Chiefs (38) OT

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, May 15, 2010.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Week 3: Jets (35) vs. Chiefs (38) OT

Tank Runs Wild in Coach's Swan Song

by Adam Chiefsman
    Blogger, Kansas City Star

Well, no one really knew before the game that this would be Coach Winuvas' last game in the OMFL. He did, however, and he let it all hang out with a powerful running attack behind rookie Tank Johnson and a wildly inconsistent defense that got 4 turnovers but also allowed big play after big play in a 38-35 shootout in Arrowhead this Sunday.

The scoring began with the Jets mustering a drive down the field early and getting a 7-0 lead behind a Mark Sanchez pass to Brad Smith for 10 yards. Then behind a solid offensive line and consistent pounding of the run, Tank Lockwood scored from 3 yards out late in the first quarter to tie the game at 7.

The second quarter saw a bit of scoring after turnovers by both teams. One costly Mark Sanchez interception by Darren Sharper (a superb one-handed grab) gave the Chiefs prime field position, and Lockwood cashed in again from 1 yard out to get a 14-7 lead. Another interception by cornerback Brandon Flowers led to another Lockwood score from 19 yards out.

The Jets then flipped their running attack into gear, running with Shonn Greene, and then second year back Leron James, who was inserted when Greene was knocked out of the game with a sprained ankle. James completed a solid drive with a 2 yard run to get the game within striking distance again at 21-14. Back-to-back interceptions by Sanchez and then Josh Freeman gave the Jets prime field position and time to get a score in just before the half with Mark Sanchez completed a pass to tight end Dondre Smith to tie the game at half at 21-21.

The only scoring of the third quarter was done by Kansas City as reserve halfback Derrick Ward came in to score on the goal line after Tank Lockwood got them to the 3 yard line but had to come out after tweaking his elbow on a carry.

The fourth quarter saw the Jets tie it back up behind the arm of Sanchez, this time completing a strike to fullback Jason McKie to tie the game at 28. A drive behind Lockwood for Kansas City ended with 55 seconds on the clock and a fourth touchdown on the ground for "The Tank". However, 55 seconds was about 12 seconds too many, as Sanchez quickly zipped the team down the field with only one time out left to get another score in with a screen pass to Leron James, who barreled over two potential Kansas City tacklers to score from 34 yards out.

Overtime, however, was less than dramatic. The opening kickoff was returned by Chiefs cornerback Ellis Hobbs to the Jets 30 yard line, and three runs later, kicker Ryan Succop laced a kick through the uprights for the win for Kansas City.

Kansas City quarterback Josh Freeman did not have a stellar game when compared to Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez. However, he was efficient, going 16 of 20 for 242 yards and no touchdowns to go with one interception. Coach Winuvas let "The Tank" out, however, as Tank Johnson ran 25 times for 149 yards and 4 touchdowns in the victory. Tight end Tony Gonzalez, in his first home game back in Kansas City, caught 5 passes for 78 yards to lead all Chiefs receivers. Defensively, starting strong safety Haruki Nakamura led all Chiefs defenders with 5 tackles as well as an interception.

For the Jets, Mark Sanchez did all good and bad he could for his team. The third year quarterback completed 22 of 32 passes for 374 yards and 4 touchdowns, but threw 4 costly interceptions. Running back Shonn Greene ran the ball effectively while he was in, running 7 times for 34 yards. Rookie wide receiver X'Zavious Hewitt was a beast and main target when in for Sanchez, getting 5 catches for 130 yards. Defensively, veteran linebacker Joey Porter got 4 tackles and a sack, while linebacker Bart Scott also had 4 tackles to go with the lone interception of Freeman.

"Jets played well today. Honestly should have won if not for a few mental notes. Teams better not sleep on them. They can get you if you are not careful," Coach Winuvas warned.

Soon after the talk of the game ended though, questions poured in about Coach Winuvas' sudden seeming decision to leave the Chiefs, and the league.

"Look, I have lots of extracurricular interests that are right now taking precedent over me being able to coach this team full time and give this team, and this league, 115%. This league deserves better than me giving a half-(expletive) effort. I know it. They know it. There are plenty of owners clamoring to get in here. Hopefully they will now find Kansas City a home rather than a stepping stone."

"This team in KC has the tools and the players to win," Coach Winuvas said. "I hope whomever takes them over will use them right and win lots of games. I wish for nothing more than to see the headline on the OMFL.com homepage saying, 'Kansas City wins OMFL Bowl'. That will bring a smile to my face. This team, these fans, they DESERVE it."

So the swan song for Coach Winuvas is a wild game that ends with a victory in overtime to take the Chiefs to 2-1 this season. Wherever you go next, coach, enjoy your time there.

Keep up with all Chiefs coverage on the franchise website:
    www.traditionfootball.com