Week 3 Purdue 23 at UCLA 24 The F That BS game.

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by BRUCE80, Jan 27, 2011.

1. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Game opened with UCLA in control of the ball.

We would hand the ball time and again to RB Dan Thomas and he would produce moving us down the field in chunks.

We would end the drive with a TD pass to from Tavares Cool to Ricky Thomas. On the play our back up QB Cook was knocked out of the game with back spasms.

We are down to third string QB in a huge early season game....ouch.

Purdue would take the ball on the KO and go three and out...two of the passes hit our DBs right in the face or the hands...but in true UCLA fashion we drop picks in user games...thats what we do.

So we get the punt and in comes Trey Davis RS Soph at QB. In true idiot UCLA coach fashion we abandon the running game after first down and on second down Trey chucks a pick (of course he does).

Some tough redzone pass defense including a couple passes we bat down again rather then catching lead to a Purdue FG.

7-3 UCLA.

We recieve the KO and try to go to the air again...PICK SIX...of course.. One of these first two picks was just a great play by HR covering a short decoy route and then dropping back into the lane and picking off the floater from weak armed QB Davis.

10-7 Purdue...my blood is boiling because of the drops by us and the two picks by Purdue...My guys will literally drop passes right at them staring at the ball..it gets pretty frustrating as talented as they are. Cal has had the benifit of this as well...sickening.

The teams play some more good D and trade a couple punts and we mixed in a third pick as well but just before the half we took Davis out and yanked the redshirt off fourth string QB Josh Williams a true freshman who has a great arm and is the qb of the future...big game we didnt want to just give in to Davis and his lousy play...he is third string and was almost cut for a reason last offseason.

We managed to drive down before the half and tie the game at 10 with a FG.

The second half was just more comedy for both teams. We would finally catch a pick by Freshman FS Beverly and then hand it right back to Purdue on a Dan Thomas fumble.

Purdue would take that fumble drive down into our redzone and fumble the ball back to us on some good coverage and a sack by Fritz.

That turnover led to a long drive that resulted in a TD by Thomas and a 17-13 UCLA lead.

Purdue would put a great drive together and march down the field taking advantage of a couple more UCLA swat downs to hit a nice seam route to the TE for a TD and a 20-17 advantage.

UCLA would answer right back with a great drive, on a handoff RB Huffman would rumble off tackle cut back inside and look to score....but right as he is going in the endzone from about 22 yards out... we get the long drawn out backpack strip animation where the rb never goes down and the humper just keeps ripping at the ball for what seems an eternity...and wham what do you know....fumble and a Purdue recovery in the endzone....with just over three minutes left...what a crusher thought my head would explode at this point. Joey said before the play..."Now just dont turn it over"....

5-2 turnover deficit will never work and thats where we were at with our inability to make plays and the Boilers sticky fingers.

HR does what he needs to do, chews up clock gets some first downs and uses up our TO's. He kicks a FG to go up 23-17... My son says..."Its not over yet" and of course I looked at him with disgust...

So KO return to the 30 or so..41 ticks left down 6 with zero timeouts.

First down deep crossing route for a 23 yard gain and out of bounds.

Next play out route 15 yards and out of bounds.

Next play or two were both incomplete.. We are down to 15 seconds or so and at the Purdue 45 or so.

We hit another route and are able to get out of bounds again at the Purdue 28 with 3 seconds left.

We called a play where the TE and the outside reciever run go routes and the slot guy runs a deep flag route to the pilon.

The young Freshman QB had been very solid since coming into the game and has a cannon arm so we put it on him to make the throw.

Williams threw and absolute bullet to the corner and new found playmaker Gavin Mcrea went up grabbed the pass and fell into the endzone just inside the pilon for the game winning td as time expired.

We were very fortunate to win this game obviously...I know HR was crushed by the way it ended...and I felt like I got hosed badly up until that point.

Either way 24-23 TD to win the game on the last play is pretty exciting for us and lousy for Purdue.

UCLA and Purdue have met four times in this dynasty now and each game has come down to the wire...Purdue got us in similar fashion with a score late to win last time in the Rose Bowl but UCLA holds the lead after this game 3-1 with all four crazy back and fourth games.

Dan Thomas was able to muster over a hundred yards on the day but the game ball goes to Williams and McRea who made the huge play at the end.

GG HR...This was UCLA's tilt on the game ill look forward to yours.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Good report Rusty. That's more than I ever wanted to read about that ugly betty of a game, lolol

Great job keeping the composure moving down the field and making a good play to win it.

3. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

so many spaces.........my eyes![​IMG]

4. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

WTF???

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I keep seeing KO and I think Knockout. This why this game is maddening.... Giving up those long passes at the end of the game is just killer. Seems like bringing in those 3-4 CBs on Dime and Quarters is just useless. Keep playing 4-3 or 3-4 and keep the safeties over the top and manually cover the middle....or just fucking blitz.

6. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

BTW where is the fucking video?!?!?!

7. BRUCE80

Would you rather one clumped up paragraph JMS?

8. BRUCE80

Crashed on us both trying to upload highlights or lowlights..

9. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

How bout 4....1 for each quarter.[​IMG]

10. BRUCE80

I am old I cant remember that clearly.

11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Huge win for UCLA. Now to navigate through the tough PAC-10

• Like Like x 1
  12. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    Bruce's recap is pretty spot on. In hindsight I blew a lot of opportunities after the turnovers. UCLA's defense is tough, particularly the secondary. He blew up a lot of my run plays too, he made it tough to run the spread option. I was happy with my defensive performance, that last drive was a heartbreaker, just a helpless feeling. I hope to go 2-1 vs the Pac 10 this season, then get a Big 10 title.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

[​IMG]

14. jfosh

jfosh Super

see ya soon hotrod.

15. jfosh

jfosh Super

Huge win for UCLA.....PAC 10 will be tough for whoever navigates through it. We look forward to making it hard for UCLA when they travel to Berkeley.

16. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Lol purdue has like one big 10 user game. He wins that, he's likely winning the title.

17. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Penn State>>>Purdue

18. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Here's the problem with HR winning the Big Ten Title. Two less user games in conference means two more cpu games, which is where he tends to get beat.

• Like Like x 1