Week 3 Summary (Cincinnati at Washington)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Jbbubba, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Jbbubba

Jbbubba Walk On

As I predicted last week at the end of my triumph over Pittsburgh, todays game between the Bearcats and the Huskies would determine who would get a spot in the top 25, #23 ranked Washington or presumably #26 Cincinnati from what the polls indicated. I also predicted Cincinnati would come out on top. Unfortunately, today would not be their day to shine...

The game started off fairly decent. Cincinnati received the ball first to begin the game and managed to move up to the 50 before the Huskies forced a punt. The Huskie's first possession brought a long, steady march down the field (the story throughout the game), eventually settling for a 25-yard field goal after a stop in the red zone. After that, it was all downhill. Jordan Luallen continued to make the mistakes he had made the previous three games, throwing an interception on the next Bearcat possession, paving the way for a huge 44-yard TD pass for the Huskies. The second quarter was much more frustrating. After a Bearcat possession that ended in an interception in the redzone, and a Husky possession that resulted in a punt, the Bearcats got lucky. On a line-drive punt from the Bearcat punter, Jesse Callier made the mistake of not calling for a fair catch as a Bearcat cover man charged in for the strip and recovery. Cincinnati could not capitalize on this mistake, as once again Jordan Luallen threw an interception that was taken to the house by Washington cornerback Adam Long. The half ended with the Huskies up 17-0.

Third quarter was largely uneventful, with the only points coming from a chip-shot field goal for Washington after Cincinnati's goal-line defense was successful. Cincinnati got on the board quickly in the fourth quarter on the next possession after the field goal, after a 4-yard TD pass to George Winn from Jordan Luallen. Cincinnati managed to halt the forward progress of the Washington offense, providing a glimmer of hope for the Bearcats. But, alas, it wasn't meant to be, as the ensuing Cincinnati drive ended on a fourth down incompletion and Washington ran the clock out to preserve their victory, 23-7, over the Bearcats.

Much improvement is needed by the Bearcats. The O-line must provide better protection for Luallen while Luallen must learn to make better decisions with the ball. The Bearcats should strive to run the ball whenever possible, as this approach was the only way the Bearcats were able to move the ball on the Huskies' defense. Cincinnati has a bye week next week, where they hopefully will show significant improvement as they face a tough Virginia Tech opponent the week after.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Key Performers:

Cincinnati

Passing: Jordan Luallen, 10/29 for 143 yards, 3 INT's
    Rushing: George Winn, 16 carries for 84 yards (if only the Bearcats stuck with the run when the going was tough)
    Defense: Nate Temple with 10 total tackles, 6 solo.

Washington

Passing: Keith Price, 19/23 for 227 yards, 1 INT, 1 TD (nothing could stop this man today!)
    Rushing: Jesse Callier, 15 attempts for 74 yards, 1 fumble on punt return
    Defense: Parker with 4 tackles and 1 INT

-----------------------------------------------------------

In recruiting news, Cincinnati has scheduled a visit with a prospect for week 7.

---------------------------------------------------------

Coach Lauronitis stated that he was beginning to doubt his decision to redshirt Matt Legaux, who would have been the starter this season at QB, in an effort to improve his skills while giving the reins to Luallen.

• Like Like x 1
  2. bigtubb_

bigtubb_ Walk On

Defense wins ships​

• Like Like x 3
  3. Jbbubba

Jbbubba Walk On

Watching the video I didn't realize how important that second interception in the redzone would turn out to be :D. Regardless, excellent game friend, here's hoping we get a rematch in the near future!

BTW how did you capture the video if you don't mind me asking?

4. bigtubb_

bigtubb_ Walk On

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr-gaming.html

5. Jbbubba

Jbbubba Walk On

Ooh nice, thanks man

6. onaradio34

onaradio34 Tryin not to show how little I know bout anything

Getting Defensive
    Temple Wins FG Battle With Purdue 12-6
    [​IMG]
    Temple improved to 2-1 on the year with a defensive gem against Purdue. The Owls overcame its own pedestrian offensive effort (219 total yards) by winning the field position battle in the 4th qtr. Down 6-3, Temple placekicker Samuel McManus would boot 3 FG's in the 4th while the defensive held Purdue in check. Temple hets a week to rest before it must face another National Title contender in the Oklahoma Sooners.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jbbubba

Jbbubba Walk On

Was the kicker player of the game?

8. dmanno2

dmanno2 Walk On

USF Falls again, this time at the hands of Rutgers!

Jawan Jamison had over a hundred yards after the second quarter, but was only able to rack up around 50 in the second half. Bulls D played tough, but spend WAY too much time on the field, as BJ Daniels led his team to 3 and outs for the majority of the game. Webster was once again a huge playmaker as he returned a punt in the 4th quarter for 85 yards. The offense needs to figure it out soon otherwise this season is going nowhere FAST.

Final 27-9

9. onaradio34

onaradio34 Tryin not to show how little I know bout anything

Should have been!! I think my qb got it for completing 12 of 14 passes. Sacks and negative plays killed drive after drive. We would move the ball down the field nicely before one play would do us in.

10. Jbbubba

Jbbubba Walk On

Sounds like my game against Bigtubb. At least I wasnt the only one, looks like Dmanno might have the offensive blues like us too

11. dmanno2

dmanno2 Walk On

yeah man! I just can't seem to finish drives... like radio said, one play for negative yards or something just kills it!

12. cmassey13

cmassey13 Walk On

[​IMG]Upset Special![​IMG]
    The Sun Devils go on the road and upset #18 Missouri in

The Sun Devils of Arizona State made this trip to Columbia, MO appear to be all about business as they took control of the game in the second quarter and never looked back. The first quarter saw both offenses threaten to score but sputter once they crossed midfield. Momentum seemed to shift once the Sun Devil defense started spying Mizzou QB James Franklin with MLB Brandon Jackson. This move allowed the defense to get more pressure on the QB throughout the game and resulted in some poor decisions from Franklin, leading to 2 interceptions.
    The ASU offense got going in the second quarter when scored on a 1-yard run and a 2-yard pass. They then added a 34-yard FG as time expired in the first half giving them all the momentum going into the half. In the second half, each team swapped TDs back and forth as both offenses found more of a rhythm, scoring 14 points apiece. It felt like the Sun Devils were in contol throughout and showed why the fans Tempe are thinking they have a top 25 team.
    Next week, the Sun Devils will host the Utah Utes in a matchup of undefeateds and will be the PAC 12 conference opener for both teams.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Donkalion

Donkalion Walk On

Mighty Oregon!
    Oregon hangs 52 points on the Rhinos.​
    It was over when? OREGON STEPPED ON THE FIELD!​
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]