Week 3

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by lilmaggie, Sep 21, 2009.

1. lilmaggie

lilmaggie Rocky Top Tennessee

Week 3

We have advanced to Week 3. All CPU games except Forida vs. Tennessee, and LSU @ Clemson.. I would like to get this week over quick. So get em' in.

2. lilmaggie

WEEK 3

CPU Games
    ECU 0 @ North Carolina 34
    Alabama 37 @ South Carolina 36
    Vanderbilt 23 @ Ole Miss 31
    Boston College 22 @ Florida State 41
    Georgia Tech 44 @ Virginia Tech 33
    Miami 21 @ Pitt 24
    NC State 14 @ Maryland 58

User Games
    Florida 27@ Tennessee 7
    Lsu 42 @ Clemson 38

3. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

The Troy Forecast Premiere Edition!

So every week I'll be forecasting the weeks games in point spread type style. These will be more accurate as the year goes on because I'll have more data to pull from. I've hit 10 college games straight for real money in real life so let's see if that success translates to the Xbox world!

ECU @ UNC UNC -14.5 Shouldn't be close. East Carolina is a young team and North Carolina should be much improved.

Alabama @ South Carolina. Bama -13. Alabama is really really good. South Carolina is not.

Vanderbilt @ Ole Miss. Ole Miss -7.5. Vanderbilt is no slouch. Ole Miss might be a little over rated..but maybe not. I think this one is closer than most think.

LSU @ Clemson. LSU -5.5. Going to either Death Valley is tough. LSU is supremely talented and Clemson will miss Spiller. Beazus will hang tough but LSU get's it done on the road.

BC @ FSU FSU-12 This one shouldn't be close. I'd definitely bet the favorite. Florida St. might be taking a step backward this year.

Georgia Tech @ Virginia Tech. VT-3. Blacksburg is the difference in this one. G. Tech is gonna be tough this year. I can just see this game turning into a running slug fest. In all reality VT will win I'm sure, but that would be the realistic spread. I'm trying to keep this to the teams not the men playing the teams.

Mia @ Pittsburg Mia -10. Miami had a tough time for the first 2 quarters at BYU but took off like a rocket in the 4th qtr. That will continue but Pittsburg may be better than most people think. Home teams win alot of games at Heinz Field. Miami also has a big conference opener and home opener against the Yellow Jackets next week.

Florida @ Tennessee FL -7. Florida had some turnover but is still loaded. Tennessee might be the most improved team this season and Rocky Top at night will be Electric. Closer than the experts think and Florida should be on Upset alert.

NC St @ Maryland MD -20. NC St isn't very good and Maryland just drubbed a very good Alabama team. I just don't see this being a game by halftime.

So there you have it! I'll update this post at the end of the week to see how accurate I was.

4. lilmaggie

Outstanding, castotroy, great work. That's the coolest stuff I've seen. I'm gonna pick em' to see how I can do. I won't pick my game for fear of some Pete Rose type NCAA sanctions.

UNC -14.5
    South Carolina +13
    Vandy +7.5
    Clemson +5.5
    FSU -12
    VT-3
    Pitt+10
    Florida-7

5. killajo90405

killajo90405 Walk On

Troy- The spreads R Tight!

6. lilmaggie

two upsets already, Gt over Virginia Tech and Miami losing to unranked Pitt.

7. Beazus Christ

Beazus Christ Resident Smut Peddler

GAME OF THE WEEK

#1 FLORIDA (2-0)

[​IMG]

AT

TENNESSEE (1-0)

[​IMG]

In week 3 of the college football season, the defending National Champion Florida Gators travel to Knoxville to battle against the hated Tennessee Volunteers. Last year, this game got out of hand as Florida rolled to a comfortable win at home. Will a change in scenery effect the outcome of the game? Lets check out the tale of the tape:

Florida Rushing Offense vs Tennessee Rushing Defense

Last year, Florida's RBs put up underwhelming rushing statistics. This can be attributed in part to Florida's passing attack, but also to the bruising play of Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow. Well, in case you haven't heard, Tim Tebow no longer plays in Gainesville. Although Tebow's replacement will get carries, expect Florida to put the ball in the hands of Jefferey Demps and attack the edges of the field. On the other side of the ball, the Tennessee defensive line is stacked, even with DT Victor Thomas out of commission. Although the Gator offensive line may go down as one of the best units in the history of college football, expect the experienced Tennessee defensive line to hold their own in the trenches. In the end, the success of Florida's running game will hinge on how well the LB unit of Tennessee plays.

Advantage: Push

Florida Passing Offense Vs Tennessee Passing Defense

I hate to be so dismissive, but this appears to be a major mismatch on paper. Tennessee no longer has Eric Berry to captain its secondary. Florida, on the other hand, could trot its top 5 receivers out on the field and have no problem moving the ball through the air. Look for Deonte Thompson and company to have a big game against the Volunteers.

Advantage: Florida

Tennessee Rushing Offense Vs Florida Rushing Defense

On paper, the Volunteer backfield appears to be stacked. HBs Lennon Creer and Bryce Brown are a formidable duo. When playing against Tennessee, Defensive Coordinators must take notice - or do they? For all the talent Tennessee has, its backs were extremely ineffective in week 1. Creer averaged 2.8 ypc, while Brown averaged 3.6 ypc. The cause of this problem may lie in the offensive line. Center Mason Madsen, a true freshman, has a lot to learn in order to be a SEC calibre player. Ditto for Guard Kevin Revis. Florida, on the other hand, is stacked along the defensive line. All American DT Lawrence Marsh anchors an exceptional front four. Should Tennessee find its way through a hole, expect OLBs AJ Jones and Brandon Hicks to close quickly.

Tennessee Passing Offense Vs Florida Passing Defense

Again, I hate to be dismissive, but Florida looks tough. The Gator secondary has 3 All-Americans. Read that again, 3 All-Americans. Will Hill and company will look to take advantage of a Tennessee offense that was careless with the ball last year. QB BJ Coleman threw a staggering 24 interceptions last year. In order for Tennessee to have success on Saturday, he will have to play within himself and manage the game. Coleman has an outstanding target in WR Gerald Jones and they could make some noise on gameday. Will it happen against the Gator secondary? All signs point to no.

Summary: Although the Tennessee faithful have a lot to be excited about this year, it doesnt appear that this game would be one of those moments. I predict Florida to triumph in Knoxville.

8. killajo90405

killajo90405 Walk On

Well I sure as heck didn't cover the spread! The CPU is good with these sliders. J. Jones got hurt in the 4th and I had to get a long TD at the end to eek out a win. Whew!

9. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

The "shouldn't be close" part was right, but the 14.5 point was a tad off. I beat them down 34-0 (I was scoreless through the 1st quarter).

10. BDSDIGITAL

Well you covered it then. I played this game as ECU actually in TF4 and kept it reasonably close but the Heels were just on another level.

11. BDSDIGITAL

No problem.

Just whatever you do don't run around like a jackass for 20 years telling anyone that will listen that you're innocent then admit to not only betting, but lying to the world for two decades....

12. lilmaggie

CPU games are complete

All CPU games are complete!!! Good job. Waiting on the 2 User games now. Gator and txhrns need to play tomorrow if at all possible so we can advance.

13. BDSDIGITAL

So as week 3 comes to a close let's see how we did!

All in all I'd call it a good week for predictions. I'm excited to see what week 4 has to offer! Good week everyone.

14. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Gators make it 2-0 on the season knocking off Tennessee on the road 27-7. This one was never really close as the Gators defense came away with 5 INTs. The player of the game in this one was QB John Brantley who was 17/28 197 yds TD, 7 carries 6 yds TD.

The defense is looking mighty vicious this year guys. SEC beware!!!

Good game Txshrns.

15. bfruchey

bfruchey Walk On

Here is the Power Poll for the week. Sorry it was late. I made these without taking week 3 games into consideration because technically this was supposed to be out at the beginning of the week.

(1) #1 Florida - I have to go with the reigning BCS Champion for this spot until I see a reason for them to be unseated.

(2) #3 Ole Miss - Ole Miss is back to their winning ways as they dethroned a very good Virginia Tech team by beating them 28-21. HB Enrique Davis is 2nd among Heisman hopefuls.

(3) #5 Florida State - Florida State looks to be on track with a win vs. a very good Oklahoma team, but giving up 51 points in regulation is kind of alarming. 690 yards of offense in that game for FSU though.

(4) #4 LSU - LSU's defense allowed only 1 TD versus lowly Tulane, but it did come on their first drive and they were shut out the rest of the game. The running game is strong again this season and Jordan Jefferson is a year older and wiser.

(5) #13 Virginia Tech - Virginia Tech's only loss was to a great Ole Miss team. They have mostly all of their key parts back, including a potent offense, spear-headed by Tyrod Taylor and Darren Evans.

Had all the other stuff typed out and for some reason when I post from my laptop, it sometimes says I don't have permission to post and I lose all the stuff I was working on..

(6) #10 Georgia

(7) #9 Maryland

(8) #11 Alabama

(9) #14 Clemson

(10) #18 Miami

(11) #22 North Carolina

(12) Tennessee

Look for Week 4 stuff tomorrow evening.

16. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

UNC Beats Up ECU

This was a game where the men from North Carolina took on the boys from ECU. UNC won 34-0 in a game where UNC was clearly bigger, stronger, and faster than ECU. It started off slowly as both teams went scoreless after the 1st quarter. After that, UNC would start scoring while continuing to hold ECU scoreless. UNC dominated the time of possession as they held the ball for 19 minutes compared to only 9 minutes for ECU. ECU would only convert 2 of 11 3rd downs.

Here are some examples of how UNC was just too strong for ECU. First is a TD reception by Jheranie Boyd. He took a 10 yard slant pattern, turned on the speed to pull away from the LBs. He would get caught by some DBs, but he was just too strong as he shrugged off 4 attempted tackles to score on a 66 yard TD.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sO22dRaXy1c&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sO22dRaXy1c&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

This next one is awesome! ROLB Zach Brown is blitzing. ECU's HB picks up the block on Brown just like he's been taught. Unfortunately for him, Brown posterizes him as Zach just runs him over on his way to the QB.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x-qH9M91jtw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x-qH9M91jtw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]