Week 4, 2013 / State of the League

Discussion in 'Chompion's League' started by Spayer419, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

After two reboots and a lot of user shuffling we are finally in Week 4. For those of you who are new to the league, I occasionally use the week's thread to address certain things that seem important at the time.

It's pretty obvious that CL has gone through some turmoil in the few weeks since launch. In truth, I trusted some guys to be in this league that I likely should have passed on and now we as a league are paying for it. The Stanford user dropped and we will need someone to take that spot ASAP. If anyone has someone in mind please let me know.

With that being said, these issues are really just minor road bumps. In NCAA 13 Chompions League went 9 seasons, and to my knowledge, only five guys were there from start to finish. Along the way we found some of the best users that are currently in the league, namely cmassey13 and cyhiphopp. I'm confident that trend will continue, and Chompions League will always have a strong core.

One of the most important aspects of any league on TSO is communication. It's important to remember that you are operating on up to 11 other people's time, and ideally they will be respecting your time as well. If you think you might need a little more time to get a game in just let me, Cy or Jandy know and it will 99.9% of the time be a non-issue. But if you don't communicate, then we have no way of knowing when and if you actually intend on playing the game.

For user-user games communication is even more important. Once the week thread is up you should be hammering out the plans with your opponent ASAP and those plans should have no ambiguity. It's not fair to leave the other party hanging or confused.

For the most part, everyone in this league has done a great job so far with communication, content and getting their games in on time. A huge shout out to cmassey13 who has been on time and active every week of the season even though he's been moving into a new house.

We are finally back on track and past week 3. Let's regain the momentum and return to being one of the best leagues on this website. (y)

----------------------------------------

=============== #2 Ohio State Buckeyes (3-0) ===============
    Last week, Ohio State won 42-14 against California (1-2).
    This week, the Buckeyes will host Bowling Green (1-2).

=============== #4 Oregon Ducks (3-0) ===============
    Last week, Oregon won 44-10 against Tennessee (2-1).
    This week, the Ducks are idle.

=============== #6 LSU Tigers (3-0) ===============
    Last week, LSU won 38-24 against Kent State (1-2).
    This week, the Tigers will host Auburn (2-1).

=============== #9 Texas A&M Aggies (2-1) ===============
    Last week, Texas A&M lost 42-21 against Alabama (2-0).
    This week, the Aggies will host SMU (0-2).

=============== #17 Florida Gators (1-1) ===============
    Last week the Gators were idle.
    This week, the Gators will host Tennessee (2-1).

=============== Arkansas Razorbacks (3-0) ===============
    Last week, Arkansas won 35-10 against Southern Miss (2-1).
    This week, the Razorbacks travel to Piscataway to face the Rutgers Scarlet Knights (2-1).

=============== #16 Nebraska Cornhuskers (3-0) ===============
    Last week, Nebraska won 20-7 against UCLA (0-2).
    This week, the Cornhuskers will host Rice (0-2).

=============== UCLA Bruins (0-2) ===============
    Last week, UCLA lost 20-7 against Nebraska (3-0).
    This week, the Bruins will host New Mexico State (2-1).

=============== Penn State Nittany Lions (3-0) ===============
    Last week, Penn State won 31-13 against UCF (2-1).
    This week, the Nittany Lions will host Kent State (1-2).

=============== Wisconsin Badgers (2-1) ===============
    Last week, Wisconsin lost 51-36 against Arizona State (2-0).
    This week, the Badgers will host Purdue (1-2).

=============== USC Trojans (3-0) ===============
    Last week, USC won 31-17 against Boston College (1-2).
    This week, the Trojans are idle.

• Like Like x 4
  2. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

3. cmassey13

cmassey13 Walk On

I should be able to get my game in tonight after work.

• Like Like x 2
  4. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

Untitled.jpg
    Bama Hangover - A&M Wins 21-17 over SMU
    The Aggies were physically and emotionally spent after the beating they took from Alabama last week. Instead of getting their rhythm back against a less talented SMU team, they ended up going down to the wire. SMU deserves tons of credit. They did a great job limiting the run game early and forcing ATM to pass. Manziel had a horrible day, completing around 40% of his passes for only 127 yards. A few early errant passes seemed to get into his head.​
    ATM scored first with a TD toward the end of the first but SMU answered scoring their own TD on their next posession. They would go ahead 14-7 at half. ATM did their job in the 3rd by driving down to tie it up but SMU wasn't done. The Aggie defense seemed to be chasing Mustang receivers all day. SMU had a long pass and run all the way down inside the Aggie 5 but a fortuitous clipping call brought it back to the 19. The A&M defense held their ground and forced SMU to settle for a field goal.​
    With a lot of time left in the fourth, the Aggie running game was asked to go to work. SMU had stifled Manziel both running and passing all game but he was finally able to break a few solid runs on this key drive. No passes were attempted while driving down the field for the go ahead score. The original plan was to milk the clock once inside the red zone but Ben Malena broke a big run and was brought down at the 1 with about 4 minutes left. The D would have to get another stop. They were up to the task, getting one of their 3 sacks to force a 3rd and long. SMU decided to punt with just over 3 minutes left, thinking their D could get the ball back. The Aggies went to the run game again and ran the clock out.​
    Coach HipHopp said he hopes his team learned something from this game. If they play like this against conference foes, they will get beat.​

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  5. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

I will be getting mine in late tonight. Probably kickoff around 10pm CT.

• Like Like x 1
  6. guitarDADDY1208

guitarDADDY1208 Walk On

Damn I hate bye weeks!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

WILSON'S STAR RISES IN BUCKEYE ROUT​
    [​IMG]
    63 - 28
    When Dontre Wilson signed with Ohio State in February, many pundits predicted that he could become college football's next Percy Harvin. It's fair to assume that four years from now when a high school speedster is preparing to make a decision on where to play college football, those same pundits will be comparing that kid to Dontre Wilson.
    In Ohio State's first three games of the season Wilson showed flashes of his elite speed, agility and acceleration which make him the perfect player for the hybrid/pivot position in OSU's spread offense. Against Bowling Green Wilson officially broke onto the scene by exploding for more than 150 yards of total offense and two scores.
    Wilson is listed as a running back in the official team program, but much like with Percy Harvin at Florida, it's not fair to pigeonhole the role he plays in the offense by defining his position as a traditional one. The Buckeyes' consider him as a pivot player, or someone that is used all over the field for runs and short throws. Against Bowling Green Wilson did most of his damage out of the slot where he was able to catch bubble screen and swing passes, but also run jet sweeps and load options. If Wilson can continue to torch defenses in this role it will certainly open things up for the rest of OSU's offense, particular the power running game as defenses can't load the box when Wilson's on the field.
    The freshman athlete was hardly the only Buckeye to standout in this blowout win. Braxton Miller had his best statistical game of the season, throwing for a season-high 312 yards and rushing for 185. In his return to action off of suspension, Carlos Hyde also surpassed 100 yards rushing and scored twice.
    Next week Ohio State renews its rivalry with the Wisconsin Badgers and Glen Cieske, in the B1G opener for both squads.
    Game Notes
    = Braxton Miller was 23-27 for 312 yards and 3 TD. He also carried the ball 10 times for 185 yards and 2 TD
    = Carlos Hyde carried the ball 15 times for 100 yards and 2 TD
    = Dontre Wilson caught a career-high 8 passes for 104 yards and 2 TD
    [​IMG]
    Dontre Wilson spent most of the day racing toward the endzone with defenders at his back

8. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

A couple of nice, close wins by Wisconsin and Arkansas.

Glen Cieske, has McEvoy taken over as starting QB? Meanwhile Alex Collins is working his way into the Heisman discussion cmassey13

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  9. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Whenever you want to try out the fix for the coach skill bug let me know

10. guitarDADDY1208

guitarDADDY1208 Walk On

Ok I can now just give me a sec to get into the league

11. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Text me at 419-260-2342 and we'll talk it over step by step

12. Glen Cieske

Glen Cieske Walk On

As of right now McEvoy is the starter, but he is on a short leash. Don't be surprised to see Stave again at some point, he's more of an ideal QB in my system but whoever plays the best is getting the playing time

• Like Like x 1
  13. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

MrWitness36 will you be getting your game in tonight?

14. CJTHA1

CJTHA1 Walk On

UCLA got their 1st win of the year!! Finally!! The running game was clicking very well while the D forced 3 turnovers!! Full recap on the way.

• Like Like x 2
  15. MrWitness36

MrWitness36 Walk On

I'm on my way home now will definitely play tonight

• Like Like x 1
  16. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Thanks to everyone else for playing. We're waiting on Jbek who didn't post anything on the forums about when he was expecting to play. Would have advanced past this week but I didn't have time before work this morning. Expect a mid-afternoon advance today

17. guitarDADDY1208

guitarDADDY1208 Walk On

Sweet. But I'm hating USC right now due to the fact that I have another BYE in week 6!

18. MrWitness36

MrWitness36 Walk On

Tigers put a beat down on Auburn to open up conference plsy 41-3. Another Heisman like performance from Mettenberger with the #2 passing attack. Auburn had one first down the entire game while LSU went 7/10 as if nothing could go wrong offensive wise. Total offense for tiger 455 yardsand Auburn 103 thats the type of game was played for them. Tigers are getting better offensive wise only giving up one turnover compared to auburn three.

Stats

Mettenberger 16/28 282 yards 2td

Hill 13 att 103 yards 1 td

Boone 8 rec 175 yards 1 td

• Like Like x 1
  19. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

cmassey13, Can you please correct AJ Derby's name on your roster? The roster guy must not have known anything about him. Not saying that he is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but he should be higher than a 67 speed as well. Dude is an athlete. Reminds me of the Bell kid out of Oklahoma.

20. Jbek

Jbek Walk On

Hey all. I have been uber duber busy lately, hence the inactivity on these boards. I am still in the process of switching residences, but will finish up in a few days. That being said, I am firing up the 'station and am about to whoop some Golden Flash behind!!

• Like Like x 1
  21. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

No worries, good to see you back on here. Zwinak killed it this week!