Week 4, 2018 GOTW+Predictions

Discussion in 'The Dirty Dozen' started by Steamer43, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Steamer43

Steamer43 Cleveland Steamer

Week 3's GOTW was a stinker. Idaho dominated UL Lafayette once gain. The Cajuns never really stood a chance against the Potatoe magic. UL Lafayette's got to have the self-esteem of a 3 foot man with a 1 inch penis after their recent failures. Anyway... Week 4 brings a whole new set of exciting match-ups. Will Redd's new offense lead an upset over the Qwon? Will Bl0nde's team respond after being neglected the last two weeks? First We'll focus on the marquee match-up featuring an inter-division game:
    (btw thanks to the 6 non-user game ppl who got their shit in already)

#16 Utah State [​IMG]@ [​IMG]#11 Western Kentucky

Ratings: TIE
    B- B-
    B- B-

B- B-

Offense: [​IMG]

Scoring: (38) (53.3)
    Yards Per Game:
    Total: (438) (497.7)
    Passing: (264) (407.7)
    Rushing: (174) ( 90.)

What do the stats tell us? It tells a story of two different offenses: WKU likes to move the ball through the air, while USU like to move it on the ground. Either way, there's no denying the DirtyCash's offense has been dominant and any defense will not look forward to facing an offense who has posted scores of 66 and 56. Look for WKU QB Nate Barbour and USU RB Jason Robinson to lead their respective teams.

Defense:[​IMG]

Scoring: (12.5) (11)
    Yards Per Game:
    Total: (275.5) (369.3)
    Passing: (224) (278.3)
    Rushing: (51.5) (91)

Ratings-wise both defenses are pretty similar. WKU may have a slight edge. Utah State's defense has the stats to back them up though. Although WKU held opponents to 0 and 3 points, they also gave up an alarming 30 points to Texas. Utah State's defense has been impressive, with the 1st team D not giving up one Touchdown yet this season(One 1 total TD in the 4th quarter vs scrubs). The Aggies have proven thier redzone D to be a major factor holding opponents to 6 field goals, despite turnovers.

Previous Match-Ups:
    2010: Utah State W 44-14
    2013: Western K W 45-42
    2014: Western K W 34-27
    2017: Western K W 41-31

Steamer's Pick:[​IMG]
    At the end of the day, its just foolish to try to pick an East team over a West team. WKU enters as the favorite and should continue their winning trend over the Aggies. Even when USU has had better talent, WKU has always jumped out to an early lead that the Aggies could not recover from. If WKU can do that again, this USU team will have no chance to recover, but a new gameplan will slow the game down. Final: WKU 30 - USU 24

Other Predictions:

Bl0nde wins in a close one over JohnGalt.
    JQwon destroys Redd in a blowout.

• Like Like x 3
  2. TheCrumbIsHere

TheCrumbIsHere Walk On

Should we turn this into a bit of a predictions contest? Perhaps we could also add in a couple of top 25 games each week from the CPU to go along with the head-to-head. Seems like it would be relatively easy to have like 5-6 games each week total(especially considering the schedule for the year is available). It would be something I could take the lead on if there is interest.

After all, I've done so damn well with my NCAA Basketball predictions that I figured this ought to go just as well. ;)

I love these previews each week. Just another thought that came to mind.

3. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

The Qwon likes this...

• Like Like x 1
  4. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

Steamer what's ur record so far this yr on the predictions?

5. Steamer43

I would like everyone to post their predictions for conference games in here like we had been doing in the weekly threads before. If you want to add in with the cpu games I would be all for it.

6. Steamer43

Before this week I was 3-0 on GOTW picks and also undefeated in the "others" section. However, that damn Steamer made me 3-1 this week ;)

7. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

You beat DCD?

8. Steamer43

Ya- won 35-27 after trailing 17-0. Writing my recap now...

9. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

Fuck, nice win dude. I wonder how much yelling and cursing he did in the second half.

10. nikpin

nikpin Universitas Brunensis

Never enough,...never enough.

11. Steamer43

Lol ya he was got some random penalties in the 2nd half and a few WTF moments from CPU AI. Resulted in quite a bit hehe

12. CoachRedd

CoachRedd I come through in something real foolish

can i amend my power poll?

13. Steamer43

So it was YOU who voted me 9th lol. I'm still curious to know who voted me 3rd as well lol.

14. Steamer43

GOTW RESULT:

Steamer Strikes Back!!! Utah State Wins 35-27!

Western Kentucky opened the game with a long 4+ minute drive that the Utah State defense stopped to a field goal. On USU's opening drive, Butler went to pass and got hit, with the ball flying right into the hands of a WKU lineman. 2 plays later the Hilltoppers were up 10-0. Utah State offense looked to get things going but a pass on third down went wide and the Aggies had to punt.Three plays later WKU broke a 50 yard pass for a touchdown. Boom! WKU leads 17-0. Once again the Aggies had givin up a big early lead to WKU. Once again Utah State would drop their opening conference game with two of the best on the horizon. Once again USU would face dissapointment... But maybe not, this year. Jason Robinson put the hopes of the Aggies on his back and carried them for 69 yards for a touchdown to get Utah State back in the game. Up 17-7, WKU moved the ball downfield, but a Utah State stop on 3rd and 1 at the 16 yard line forced WKU to settle with another fieldgoal. With 4 minutes remaining, down 20-7, the new-life Aggies moved the ball with ease, and capped the 3:30 drive with a 1 yard run by Robinson-- going into half trailing 20-14 and getting the ball to open the 3rd.

Utah State took possession with the momentum to open the third. The run game had been successful, and QB Butler was now in rhythm. An effective drive got them into the redzone, but a sack looked to halt the drive. On 2nd and 19 at the WKU 32, Butler found the speedster Aaron Palmer streaking over the middle to complete the pass and Palmer outran the defenders into the end-zone, giving the Aggies their first lead of the game; 21-20. It would not last for long though, as Western Kentucky was driving again, and converted a big play of their own on first and goal from the 14 for a touchdown.

The 4th quarter opened with Utah State trailing by 6 with the ball just inside the 50. Utah State moved inside the 10, but looked as though they might need to settle for a field goal on 3rd and goal from the 8. But with the WKU D dropped back in the zone, Butler found WR White in front of the D just inside the endzone for a touchdown. Utah State forced WKU into a 3-and-out, and took just 5 plays to put together a touchdown to take a 35-27 lead. The play of the drive occured on 2nd and 10 from the WKU 45 when Butler threw a ball up for grabs that WR Watson picked out of the air just before a mis-air collision at the 1 yard line. Western Kentucky had one last chance, trailing by 8 with 2:15 to go. They got the ball inside the 40 with just 22 seconds to go, but an interception by USU CB Schmidt put the game to rest, and 3 kneels later the Aggies walked out with a win.

Player of the Game goes to QB Gerald Butler for going 14-18 for 298 yards and 2 TDs with 1 INT. RB Robinson also carried 17 times for 106 yards(96 in the 1st half). It doesn't get any easier for Utah State next week, as they face West division favorite Idaho in the Kibbie Tent.

Turning Point: Jason Robinson's 69 yard TD run to cut the game to 17-7.

Keys to the Win:

1) Will- Utah State could have given up after a rough start, but kept on playing hard.

2) Gerald Butler- The Aggie run game was decent, but it was not enough to depend upon as they would like. Had it not been for Butler's 14-18 passing performance, USU would have had a lot more broken drives.

Scoring Summary:

First Quarter

03:47 FG Western Kentucky Jeremy Humphrey K #8 42 yard field goal
    02:17 TD Western Kentucky Isaac Jean WR #10 20 yard pass from Nate Barbour QB #15

Second Quarter

07:25 TD Western Kentucky Brent Jenkins WR #88 50 yard pass from Nate Barbour QB #15
    06:44 TD Utah State Jason Robinson HB #32 69 yard rush
    03:58 FG Western Kentucky Jeremy Humphrey K #8 32 yard field goal
    00:33 TD Utah State Jason Robinson HB #32 1 yard rush

Third Quarter

04:16 TD Utah State Aaron Palmer WR #3 32 yard pass from Gerald Butler QB #7
    01:11 TD Western Kentucky Sam McDonald TE #82 14 yard pass from Nate Barbour QB #15

Forth Quarter

05:12 TD Utah State Nick White WR #80 8 yard pass from Gerald Butler QB #7
    02:14 TD Utah State Terrence Cowan HB #23 1 yard rush

15. Full Moon Fever

Full Moon Fever Champion of Standards

WEST!

• Like Like x 1
  16. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

Al Pacino to me in the locker room after the game:

You are not...FUCKING...FOCUSED!
    [​IMG]