Week 4: Broncos (14) vs. Titans (45)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Week 4: Broncos (14) vs. Titans (45)

Fumbles Kill Broncos in Tennessee

by Myles Gelding
    Blogger, Denver Post

A wet stadium in Nashville was the site of the Broncos-Titans matchup this Sunday. Apparently, the ball was very slick, as four fumbles by Denver, 2 of which were lost to the Titans, and two interceptions killed any chance at a three game winning streak for the Broncos as they were destroyed 45-14.

The first quarter's only scoring was on a screen pass from Titans quarterback Vince Young to running back Chris Johnson for a 41 yard score. In the second, a mistake toss by Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton was intercepted by Titans cornerback Cortland Finnegan and taken back for a touchdown to make the score 14-0 Titans.

Denver recovered a bit, driving down the field and scoring on a Kyle Orton pass to rookie Demaryius Thomas to make the score 14-7. Then, special teams let the Broncos and Coach Winuvas down, as return man Tye Hill took the kickoff back 98 yards for a score and a 21-7 lead with less than a minute to go in the first half.

Denver then went into their two minute offense and quickly moved down the field, scoring on another Orton pass to newcomer Terrell Owens to make the score 21-14 at halftime.

The second half was all Titans, as fumbles by Knowshon Moreno continued to mount to the point where Coach Winuvas yanked him from the ball game, replacing him with Lendale White. Turnovers on downs allowed the Titans to score 17 more points late, sealing the game at 45-14.

"Absolute horse(expletive). These guys claim to be (expletive) professionals. Professionals don't fumble the ball FOUR (expletive) times. FOUR (expletive) TIMES. Are you (expletive) KIDDING ME??? You aren't gonna beat a (expletive) PEE-WEE team with FOUR (expletive) FUMBLES. Thank GOD we had some decent receivers and a decent quarterback out there. Cause our (expletive) running game was absolute horse(expletive)," Coach Winuvas yelled at his post game conference when asked about his team's performance.

For the Titans, quarterback Vince Young went 5 of 12 for 109 yards and 3 touchdowns. Backup Kerry Collins was inserted late and went 2 of 4 for 28 yards. In the running game, Titans coach Ox played it light with Chris Johnson, coming off an abdominal strain. Johnson ran 14 times for 60 yards, but with the exception of a 47 yard jaunt late, was pretty well contained. Backup Javon Ringer carried the ball 8 times for 41 yards, and reserve running back LaGarrette Blount ran 8 times for 34 yards and a late touchdown. In the receiving game for the Titans, the main target was tight end Bo Scaife, who caught 3 passes for 47 yards. Defensively, linebacker Stephen Tulloch had 7 tackles on the day for Tennessee.

For Denver, quarterback Kyle Orton went 20 of 32 for 260 yards and 2 touchdowns to go with 2 interceptions. In the running game, Knowshon Moreno had 16 carries for 45 yards but 4 costly fumbles. Three Broncos receivers had 5 catches, including Terrell Owens, newly acquired in a trade from Cincinnati. Defensively, linebacker Jason Taylor had 5 tackles before leaving in the fourth quarter with a mild strain of his ACL. He is currently day-to-day, according to trainers.

In a game where the Broncos outgained the Titans by 80 yards, the turnovers and fumbles killed any rallies that Denver tried to muster.

"Coach Ox has a good squad, but I felt like we had a good gameplan against his defense today," Coach Winuvas said. "But when you have 4 turnovers, and you give the defense two more chances to get the ball in fumbles we were lucky to recover, it don't matter WHAT kind of plan you got - you ain't gonna win."

Knowshon Moreno was contrite after the game, knowing he was now in the coach's doghouse.

"I deserve it," Moreno said to reporters in the locker room after the game. "I cost us the game."

Denver now searches for answers against Baltimore and the Ravens next week. The Titans, rejuvenated, travel to Dallas to take on the Cowboys.

Will Coach Winuvas find the answers? Or will he once again fall to the bottom of the OMFL?

Keep up with all your Broncos coverage on the franchise website:
    www.traditionfootball.com

2. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

To those of you that think I am better than I am, this report proves it. GG Ox.