Week 4 Content/Discussion

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by SodaAddict, Nov 7, 2010.

1. SodaAddict

SodaAddict Proud Hurt Locker Commish

Yet another interesting week coming up with 3 user games:

Boston College vs Clemson
    LSU vs South Carolina
    and Miami vs Nebraska

Lots of us have already taken losses, with only 5 out of the 12 of us with undefeated teams left 3 weeks in to the season.
    Virginia Tech is ranked #13 at 3-0 and are the only team outside of the SEC that is undefeated.

The SEC is dominating so far.
    All four user teams in the SEC are undefeated, South Carolina is ranked #10 at 2-0, LSU is ranked #2 at 3-0, Alabama is ranked #3 at 3-0, and Florida is ranked #1 at 3-0.

LSU and South Carolina will take on each other and the other two user games feature 1 loss teams.

Just another exciting week of Hurt Locker football.

Have fun everyone and good luck.

2. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

[​IMG]
    The SEC continues to look like the best conference in college football. That point was made abundantly clear by some of the results from this week.

[​IMG]

The Gators narrowly missed out on an opportunity to win a National Title last year. The rest of the country might not be so lucky this year. The Gators beat down a very good Oklahoma squad 45-10 on the road. Freshman QB Lance West led the way going 12-16 for 227 yards and 2 TDs before he was (mercifully, if you are an OU fan) pulled.

This week the Gators travel to Knoxville to face their hated rival Tennessee.

[​IMG]

The Tide kept rolling, this time by a very narrow margin. Alabama left Colombia, Missouri with a narrow 26-21 victory on the strength of a late Trent Richardson 57 yard TD run. This was a game that was close throughout with Mizzou holding a 14-13 lead at halftime and a 21-19 lead in the 4th quarter. Co-players of the game are RB Trent Richardson and K (yes, kicker!) Cade Foster who was 4-4 with a long of 53 on FGs and 2-2 on XP.

This week Alabama travels to Fayetteville to face the Razorbacks.

[​IMG]

LSU beat Mississippi State 27-10 in a game that probably wasn't as close as the score would indicate. LSU controlled the game throughout and held the Bulldogs to -11 yards rushing. Only a late Mississippi State TD when the game had already been decided kept this one from looking worse. Mike Ford was the player of the game, running for 117 yards and 2 TDs.

This week LSU welcomes the Gamecocks of South Carolina into the Bayou.

[​IMG]

The Gamecocks played a close game against rival UGA and ultimately prevailed 28-24 on a late TD from Andrew Clifford to Lance Scruggs. It was a back and forth game all the way throughout with UGA taking a 24-21 lead with just 1:16 left before the Gamecocks stormed downfield to take the lead back. The player of the game was QB Andrew Clifford who threw for 410 yards and 4 TDs including the game winner.

This week South Carolina travels to Baton Rouge to play LSU.

This Week's SEC Standings:

[​IMG]

3. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

Jeez the SEC is tough. On the bright side... I guess I have the ability to play my way into the title game.

4. SodaAddict

5. AJ Hart MN

AJ Hart MN Marseille - TFL Season 1 Champions

Great job with this Ryal!!

6. Dean Evans

Dean Evans Run by Walmart and pick you up a personality!

Looks good man

7. AJ Hart MN

Actually Ryal, Lance West WAS my backup.. He will be no longer though. He replaced the struggling Anthony Davis in the 2nd quarter and the offense took off. Davis did re-enter in the 4th but it's now West's job to lose.

8. AJ Hart MN

I have a question for ya Soda.. Where should we be putting our recruit commits?? Should we make a thread about it in the scouting reports or do you plan on a sticky thread like the one we have in RMG?

9. SodaAddict

I was planning on a sticky thread. I was thinking about exactly how I want us to do it last night.

I'm thinking I will start it at around week 7 or so. But, obviously keep reporting the recruits on the weekly reports, and if anyone wants to discuss their recruits on the weekly content pages until then, that's fine too.

Once we start it, I'm thinking the plan will be to update it every real life weekend. We are at week 4 now, ADVANCING TUESDAY NIGHT, so that puts us at week 7 Saturday night, with updates at weeks 10 and 14 or so. If you guys would like more recruiting information sooner than later, I can easily alter that. Just trying to think about what is convenient for everyone.

10. SodaAddict

I will try to get most of the preview show up for week 4 today.

If we can get the ACC and Big 12 content up, then we'll have our first week of 100% coverage.

We will get a new team to replace Bud as soon as possible, hopefully by the end of this game week.

11. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

Ah, my bad AJ. Just assumed he was the starter. Probably shouldve looked at old box scores to make sure. But its a shame I face your freshman QB in the Swamp. Getting him rattled and getting a bunch of turnovers is probably my only shot to beat you.

12. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

Won a reaaaaaaaaaally tight one down in Baton Rouge, 28-21. I'll post a more in depth summary/recap of our game later (hopefully tonight, but UMD starts its basketball season tonight so its kinda iffy) but it was really close all the way through. I needed a late INT and 2 first downs on the ground late in the game to seal it.

13. BoSoxFan58

BoSoxFan58 Walk On

The Virginia Tech Hokies have a bye week this week before hosting the Duke Blue Devils next week. "We need this right now, after that last big comeback it is nice to just regroup and get everything back together" said Defensive Coordinator Bud Norris. In the off-week, all the focus was on recruiting for the coaches as they worked hard on the recruiting trail. "We are really feeling good about this class, and hope we can get 8 to 10 of our current targets that will provide crucial depth next season" said Norris. "I really need help in my secondary going forward and we will probably see a handful of true freshman getting major playing time next season" he added.

This past off-season many questioned how the Hokies offense would replace graduating Danny Coale and Dyrell Roberts at wide receiver. So far true Freshman Brian Hall has proved he is willing to help carry the load. He has tallied 9 catches for 135 yards in the early stages of the season. Senior Xavier Boyce who was buried behing the two seniors last season has blossomed in the #1 receiver role by leading the team in Receiving in the first three games with 15 catches for 231 yards and a touchdown.

Also on Offense, there could very well be a Quarterback change for the game against Duke. Logan Thomas threw 4 interceptions in the game against Georgia Tech and that may have been enough to see a switch to Senior JuJu Clayton. Clayton has minimal experience, but would provide a more mobile Quarterback for the Hokies and may prove to be a spark for the offense going forward. It will be interesting to see who starts the game next Saturday.

Virginia Tech is among only 3 teams left in the entire ACC that is undefeated through the first 3 weeks of the season with Virginia and North Carolina State.

14. SodaAddict

Quick Update on Formatting: I will merge all weekly relevant material in the Week-Specific Content/Discussion thread following the game week that the content represents. I'm doing this to prevent clutter and give people a quick access way to look at information from that week.

15. mboda

mboda Walk On

Good Idea

16. SodaAddict

We have three user games this week, with two conference battles and one out of conference match-up.

2012 User Records:
    Boston College (mboda) - 1-0
    Alabama (JOEDESIGNS) - 1-0
    Miami (Pagamer07) - 0-1
    Missouri (MexiRican35) - 0-1

--------------------------------------------------

LSU vs South Carolina

South Carolina has been knocking on the door in the SEC over the last few years and is hoping that this is the year for them to become a contender in the National picture, but they certainly have their work cut out for them, with three big games staring them down against LSU, Florida, and Clemson, with the potential for a rematch against LSU in the SEC Championship game. Still, the 'Cock fans can't wait for the football team to whip out their talents and pound the competition every week.

South Carolina head coach ryalaman had some interesting things to say about his team and the upcoming game with LSU: "I expect a 10-2 record and to finish 2nd in the SEC East. While I'd love to beat up on the Gators, that team is incredibly fast and they have fantastic skill players all over the field. It will be a challenge to say the least against them. I expect to drop one to the Gators and one to LSU with the Gators taking the SEC crown.

In order to beat LSU we must force them to be one dimensional. Their offensive players are simply just better than our defensive players so the only way we're gonna have a chance to get the stops we need in order to win the game will be by forcing LSU to have to throw the ball. That means getting pressure on the QB and some run blitzes in order to force LSU into a lot of 2nd and 3rd and long situations.

I'm fairly happy with how balanced my teams offensive attack has been. In our first game against ECU it was a steady dose of the run and Marcus Lattimore had a huge day. In our second game against UGA it was more difficult to get the run going so Clifford stepped up big with other 400 yards passing to lead the way. That said, I'm unhappy with the OL. It is very difficult to get anything going between the tackles because the OL just gets dominated at the point of attack. We've really been working on our running game in practice this week. We know we have one of the most dynamic backs in the country with Marcus Lattimore and we need to get him the ball however we can in order to win this game. Without giving too much of the gameplan away, I can tell you that we're working on some new running schemes which will neutralize the speed of the LSU defense and give Marcus Lattimore the ability to make a guy miss in the open field.

Defensively, we've been working a lot with the DL. We've been drilling them to stay disciplined and stay in their gaps. In order to force LSU to throw the ball, we must take their running game out of the picture so our DL cannot cheat for the pass with any finesse moves which might take them upfield and leave them out of the picture on big run plays.

Marcus Lattimore [is our] All-American Heisman candidate and the South Carolina offense runs through him. Even if he's bottled up in the run game, we need to find a way to get him the ball whether it be through screens or even lining him up wide at WR. Defensively, we need to shut down RB Mike Ford. He's fast as hell and I don't know of many guys who are as good in the open field as he is."

Meanwhile, LSU is rolling towards hopes of a 2nd consecutive National Championship berth, but they have a lot of work to do as well. First things first, they have to get by South Carolina, and it's clear that they will not be taking this game lightly.

Here's what coach Dean Evans had to say: "[We want to finish the season] hopefully with no more than 2 losses. We will see how things work themselves out. Should be able to be close enough to get to SEC championship and more than likely a BCS bowl. So far this season things are looking pretty good. We have been able to do what we have needed to in order to get the win. Weaknesses would be the passing game, not that it is bad but less used than the running game. Strengths include the running game and the D-line. [If we don't take the SEC title,] Possibly either Alabama or if South Carolina wins our matchup, then they could run the table. I expect a good hard fought game that will be pretty intense. We have spent considerable time in practice covering the passing game with both our secondary and our primary receivers. Getting good pressure with Keke Mingo and the defensive front four and having Matt Claiborne and Ryan St Julien our two best corners step up is key defensively. On the offensive side of the ball our running game is controlled by Fordzilla, Mike Ford, who has 372 yds on 46 carries with 7 TDs. Kadron Boone our QB is looking to get started early with some excellent receivers. Our TE Chase Clement is looking forward to getting back into the endzone. Stopping SCs QB Andrew Clifford from completing passes to WRs Gurley and Sanders will stop the Gamecock air attack and putting the reigns on RB Marcus Lattimore will allow us the win the game."

South Carolina continues to move in the right direction, and this one will be closer than people might expect, but I think LSU's talent is still a step above what South Carolina has to offer and that will make the difference.

My prediction: LSU 24 - South Carolina 23

Miami vs Nebraska

Miami comes in to this one off of two difficult contests, a heart-breaking loss against Boston College, and a thrilling 1-point win against Wisconsin. This game has the potential to be their third consecutive heart-stopper. The two teams match up well with each other on paper and I expect the match-up to be intense and tight for the duration of the contest.

Miami coach Pagamer07 weighed in with his thoughts on this season and the upcoming game against Nebraska: “My goal this season is a Top 10 finish and a January bowl game. I’d love to win the ACC, but it's going to be tough. [If we don’t win the conference,] I’m gonna have to go with Boston College. Yeah they faltered against Florida State's Hail Mary, but they played well and fought back to beat us. I’m really, really disappointed in the way we let Boston College off the hook. We should have won that game and blew it. I’m happy they lost to FSU.

We've been working hard in practice working on our conditioning, controlling the ball and our pass defense and pass rush. Our players got tired at the end of the Boston College game, and let them back into it. We also going through some strip drills as well as changing up some personnel to defend the pass and rush the QB. Defensively, [our game plan] starts and stops with Rex Burkhead. He leads the Big 12 in yards and TD. So we need to stack the box and make Taylor Martinez beat us. I've been unhappy with our pass rush so far this year. I don’t know how many sacks we have, but it's not a lot. We're working on that.

[On Offense,] we need to get the ball to Lamaar Miller more. Out of the backfield on routes as well as handing it off to him. He is explosive and he's just not getting enough touches. We get a little pass happy at times and try to stretch the field too much. Our strength would be our explosive offense. We only scored 21 in Wisconsin but our other games we've pretty much been able to score at will.

I've never played fuzzylogic, so I am unfamiliar with his gamestyle. The only thing I really have to say is, we need a victory. A 2nd loss takes us out of any consideration for a National Championship. We are hungry right now. [My] seasons in Georgia Tech did not see a lot of success. We've got a great fanbase and a great program [in Miami]. Now we need to bring some results.”

Nebraska was also bitten by the loss bug early in the season, getting taken down by West Virginia in a game where head coach fuzzy10gic was forced to stay home due to illness. This week, the Cornhuskers will be looking to prove that the loss was a fluke and make a National Championship statement.

Here’s what coach fuzzy10gic had to say: “Being a new coach, I am still getting acquainted with my team and really getting to know everyone. I feel like I walked into a great situation when taking the reigns over the Cornhuskers, as there is tons of talent on both sides of the ball. Taylor Martinez is the ideal dual-threat option QB, as he has great acceleration and is a very smart player. Rex Burkhead runs like he is mad at the world, and punishes opposing defenses by lowering the boom and running right over them. By the 4th quarter, I've seen defenders even shy away from contact. He is a bruiser. Our offensive line is solid, and we have a great core of receivers. As long as we play smart football, we can be a very challenging team to stop offensively. I like what we bring to the table. On defense, we have a great front 7 that can execute the 4-3, and really bring a lot of pressure to opposing offenses. I will say we are very weak at the CB position, not much experience or depth there, and we've already lost one of our backup corners for 9 weeks with a broken tailbone. There may be some shifting around of DBs to patch up weaknesses.

As a coach, I really don't like to project further than next week's opponent. I definitely see us going to a bowl game this year, but the rest is up to how well our guys play and what future injuries are suffered. We don't plan on losing. Reviewing the scouting reports, it looks as if we will have our hands full this week. Pagamer has a reputation as a great coach, and... [Coach Fuzzy10gic was called away at that moment and was not able to finish his interview for this week]."

Boston College vs Clemson

The 3rd user game this week is the 3rd meeting between coaches SodaAddict and mboda. SodaAddict's Clemson squad won the meeting between the two in 2010, avoiding a huge 2nd half comeback by mboda's Boston College team. In year 2, Boston College returned the favor and avoided a 2nd half comeback by Clemson. What will year 3 hold for the two teams?

Boston College will be looking to avoid a second consecutive upset at the hands of an ACC foe. Another loss this week would almost certainly spell doom for their conference and National Championship hopes for 2012. Thus, one could understand the importance being placed on this game by coach mboda.

Mboda provided his thoughts on the upcoming game and the season at hand: "This is a big game for us following the heartbreaking loss last week to FSU, and with the ACC being so competitive, we can't afford another early conference loss, so we will be ready. I think we still have a shot to accomplish all the goals the we set for ourselves at the start of the year, ACC Champs and a big bowl game. Clemson is a very strong team and has beat us in the past, so we know it's gonna be a tough game and we are ready for them.

[Looking forward,] the last 2 years it has been BC and Virginia Tech in the ACC championship game so if it's not us then I'd have to think it would be Virginia Tech [to win the conference].

This year our strengths have been our defense and our passing games. And our weakness being our running game. The running game took a big blow last week as starting RB Sterlin Phifer got hurt and will miss the next month with a strained back. So we are going to be leaning on our passing game even more in the next couple of weeks. This past week we have been trying to get our now starting RB Rolandan Finch alot reps in practice and trying to get him up to speed as he will probably see alot of touches the next couple of weeks. Defensively in practice we have been focusing on not giving up big plays and trying to force some turnovers.

[In the game this weekend,] offensively we are probably gonna lean heavily on QB Mike Marscovetra this week and we expect him to have a big game. Defensively I think LE Max Holloway will have to have big game and get some pressure on Clemson QB Kyle Parker. We also have to watch out for RB Andre Ellington as his speed make him very dangerous. On defense, Clemson looks like it has a good set of defensive backs including FS Rashard Hall and CB Xavier Brewer, and with the amount that we might be throwing, if we stay away from those 2 we should it should an advantage for us."

Clemson coach SodaAddict has noted that the game this week has been circled on his calendar, as well as the calendars he handed out to all his players as the game they have to win this season to get over the hump. Some local media have criticized that the coach's emphasis on this week's game led to the overtime loss against Mississippi in week one. Either way, all eyes in Clemson will be glued to the televisions as their Tigers travel to Boston, Massachusetts this weekend.

17. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

Another SEC Unbeaten goes DOWN. Bama can't rally and loses to Arkansas. Their RB was unstoppable even with 8-9 in the box. Had no answer all game long. Oh well, you can't win em all.

18. SodaAddict

Wow!! This year has been so unpredictable. There's a good chance that we could have two one-loss teams in the National Championship. Only 3 User teams left undefeated!

South Carolina, Florida, and Virginia Tech, can any of them run the table??

19. ctvolfan

ctvolfan Vol for Life!!

Thats going to be hard cause South Carolina and Florida play each other.

20. ctvolfan

ctvolfan Vol for Life!!

[​IMG]
    Really good game by the Texas defense a total team effort. Held the panthers to -1 yards rushing on the game. Coach ctvolfan after the game, "the defense played with passion and determination to prove there are worthy of there #5 ranking. We start the conference schedule next week with Baylor and I could not be more pleased with how our team is playing."
    Coach ctvolfan should be pleased with how his team is playing but is a little concerned how star rb Tre Newton continues to get hurt. He was injured on the first drive of the game and never returned. He is pleased with how the back up rb's have stepped up in his absence.

Up Next: Baylor

• Like Like x 1
  21. ctvolfan

ctvolfan Vol for Life!!

[​IMG]
    The Big 12 conference is off to a great start with two teams currently in the top 10 in the polls. The tough early conference schedule has led to a couple losses but do not expect too much more of that as they try and prove why they are still one of the top BCS conferences around.​
    [​IMG]
    The Oklahoma Sooners come in this week ranked 8th in the polls after suffering there first loss last week in the swamp to the Gators. Drew Allen seems to be the bright spot to this talented offense, he has thrown for 657 yards and 5 touchdowns already on the season. Look for this experienced Sooners team to rebound under the new head coach and make a big splash come seasons end.​
    Up Next: Bye​
    [​IMG]
    After taking an early season loss at the hands of Alabama, the Texas Longhorns came back strong against another SEC opponent the Ole Miss Rebels. The Longhorns played lights out defense on there way to a 27-0 victory. Jordan Hicks has been a monster at lb early on the season tallying 16 tackles and 3 sacks already. Look for the Longhorns to continue to play great defense as the Big 12 schedule starts next week.​
    Up Next: Baylor​
    [​IMG]
    The Missouri Tigers have played one of the tougher non-conference schedules in the country in this early part of the season, with Florida st and Alabama on back to back weekends. Although, they came up short in both games they did not go lightly as they pushed both teams to the wire and could have easily went there way. Look for the Missouri Tigers to build off this tough early season schedule and win those close games come season end.​
    Up Next: Bye​
    [​IMG]
    The Nebraska Cornhuskers are still trying to find there identity on the season. With beating Stanford in week 1 and coming back and losing to West Virginia in week 2, the Cornhuskers used there bye week to focus on the fundamentals of the game as they prepare for the Hurricanes of Miami this week. Rex Burkhead has been a force in the backfield for the Huskers as he has 4 touchdowns already on the season.​
    Big 12 Standings
    [​IMG]
    Images
    [​IMG][​IMG]

22. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ¿Te quieres naranjas?

Looking good man

23. SodaAddict

Good job. Thank you!

24. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Sorry I couldn't send you any content for this week, I will be helping as much as possible in the future when I have time.

25. AJ Hart MN

Week 4
    Tennessee @ Florida
    Tennessee traveled to the swamp in what many experts thought would be a Florida romp.. The Vols had other ideas as this game was almost eerily similar to the SEC championship game in which the Gators dropped their only game of the 2011 season.​
    UT came out flying, throwing 2TD passes in the first quarter. The problem for the Vols was that they just could not stop the Gator attack. New QB Lance West was sensational in the game throwing beautiful long bombs and precise short passes. At the break it was Gators 31 Vols 21.​
    Florida would not let up in the 3rd quarter adding 2 more Td's but the Vols answered with a David Oku 3yd TD of his own. Going into the 4th, the Gators had a seemingly comfortable 45-28. A funny thing happened in the forth quarter, UT's defense began to make stops and the Gators just could not get the Vols and Tyler Bray off the field. The Vols would convert on all 4 of their 4th down conversions to cut the lead to 3 late. The Gators now were on their heels. The Vols were now stacking the line so the Gators got a little cute and tried to hit a quick pass only to see it picked off. The Vol crowd was now going nuts with the #1 team in the land on the ropes. The Vols drove the ball to about the Gator 20 when the defense finally made some plays to force a FG attempt from about 39yds with 30 seconds to play. The Vol kicker would hit the right upright and bounce back into the field of play.. Rejoice Gator nation, your squad just survived a early season nightmare 45-42!​
    Next season, can we please find a USER to take the Vols as we handled them the first two seasons, this was not any fun sweating this passing attack. The defense tried everything but Bray was confident in the pocket and hit his receivers in stride all day. It was a fantastic game but I'm glad I was able to leave Knoxville with the W.​
    Scoring Summary
    First Quarter
    05:23TDTennesseeZach Rogers WR #83 6 yard pass from Tyler Bray QB #8
    05:08TDFloridaAndre Debose WR #4 77 yard pass from Lance West QB #19
    03:08TDTennesseeJustin Hunter WR #87 25 yard pass from Tyler Bray QB #8
    Second Quarter​
    07:45TDFloridaLarry Archie FB #18 1 yard rush
    03:17FGFloridaRandy Dorsey K #1 32 yard field goal
    02:04TDFloridaJordan Reed TE #11 38 yard pass from Lance West QB #19
    00:54TDTennesseeDaRick Rogers WR #21 8 yard pass from Tyler Bray QB #8
    00:18TDFloridaAndre Debose WR #4 4 yard rush
    Third Quarter