Week 4: Giants (38) vs. Chiefs (21)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Week 4: Giants (38) vs. Chiefs (21)

Chiefs fall in Arrowhead to mighty Giants

by Adam Chiefsman
    Blogger, Kansas City Star

Okay, these days, beating the Kansas City Chiefs is not that daunting of a task. But to make it look as easy as the Giants did this Sunday is impressive, to say the least. The Giants routed the Chiefs 38-21 in a game that really was not as close as the score indicated.

In a game where the Chiefs were dominated on both sides of the ball, quarterback Eli Manning of the Giants only needed to throw ten times to get the win. He completed all ten passes for 173 yards and one touchdown. The running game was equal to the task, with Johnathan Stewart getting 129 yards on 22 carries and Andre Brown getting 42 yards on 12 carries. Overall the Giants gained a total of 339 yards of total offense.

The Giants' defense was stout all game, not allowing anything in the way of a passing game from new starter Alex Smith. Smith went a paltry 8 of 18 for 86 yards and one interception and was hurried all game long while throwing into zone coverage all day. Overall, the Chiefs managed just 254 yards of total offense.

"They schemed well for us. Had we not been so far behind, we had a good running game with (Jamaal) Charles going. But when you allow 14 points in the first quarter, and 21 in the second, you're asking for trouble," Coach Winuvas said in his post-game conference.

The offensive line played much better in all facets than in previous games, however. New starters Greg Isdaner and Barry Richardson on the right side more than held their own, and new free agent center Melvin Fowler proved to be an upgrade over underachieving Andy Alleman. Another key man in the attack was new starter at halfback Jamaal Charles, taking over for an unimpressive Earnest Graham. Charles slashed through the Giants run defense, going for 166 yards on 15 carries and 2 touchdowns. However, a costly fumble early put the game out of reach early.

"Young guys fumble. We have to go over that in practice. He's got all the talent in the world, he just needs to hold onto the ball," Coach Winuvas said when asked about the turnover early which turned into 7 points for the Giants.

The only bright spot in the receiving core was newcomer Robert Meachem, getting a reception for the only throwing touchdown in the game for the Chiefs. Tiquan Underwood, plagued by drops early, did catch the one ball thrown his way for a 36 yard gain.

The normal bright spot for the Chiefs, the defense, dimmed under the overwhelming pressure of the Giants running attack and timely passing. A bright spot was new starter Brian Johnston, starting in place of an ineffective Glenn Dorsey at defensive end. The second year player out of Gardner-Webb racked up 4 tackles and 2 sacks, and is now tied for the team lead in sacks with Demorrio Williams. Compare that with Dorsey's one tackle and zero sacks in three games.

"(Brian) Johnston has a lot of speed and is a great end rusher. I think he's a future Pro Bowler as a outside linebacker/defensive end hybrid in our system. He's got great speed to play linebacker at 270 pounds, but has the instincts to rush the passer. The only thing is he's very raw. But with our record now at 1-3, I think I would rather him make mistakes while making plays than just sitting the bench," Coach Winuvas said when asked about Johnston's stats on the game. "Look for him on the field more."

The Giants (4-0) go home to play the Oakland Raiders, while Kansas City (1-3) hosts the Cowboys next week at Arrowhead. Start time is 1:00 PM in Kansas City.

Stay up to date on all Chiefs coverage at our website:
    http://www.traditionfootball.com

2. Dean

Dean Walk On

You have some good young talent on both sides of the ball. I never thought Jamal Charles was that good, but damn he ripped my D a new one.

3. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Whole reason I traded Larry Johnson to Cincinnati was because of Charles' spot play for Johnson and being so damn good. He honestly ran more people over than LJ did.