Week 4: Jags 38, Colts 7

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Big D, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Big D

Big D Walk On

Week 4: Jags 38, Colts 7

Machine Gets Offensive

[​IMG]

September 9, 2010

By: Harry Stone, Jacksonville Post-Intelligencer

JACKSONVILLE, FL- Three turnovers, only 56 yards passing, and less than 200 yards of total offense for Jacksonville.

Final score 38-7.

Jaguars.

Rarely have such putrid offensive numbers resulted in a rout the way they did in rainy Jacksonville last night.

However, the Jacksonville 'Green Machine' defense forced six turnovers, all interceptions thrown by all-world quarterback Peyton Manning, and also scored two touchdowns of their own to help Jacksonville to improve to 4-0 this season.

Defensive lineman Shawne Merriman and newly aquired Pat Simms both intercepted Manning passes and returned them for touchdowns. Merriman and Simms were beneficiaries of heavy pressure on the opposite side of the line by Aaron Kampman who hit Manning right as he was releasing the football each time. Kampman finished yesterday's game with three sacks and five tackles.

"It's one of the best defenses I've been a part of in my career," said Kampman. "It's fun to play with Shawne (Merriman). Not very many guys have a motor like mine, but he does."

Cornerbacks Rasheen Mathis, Derek Cox, and Scott Starks has another marvelous outing with four interceptions and 10 pass deflections combined. Starts had two of those interceptions, a career high for the nickel corner.

Offensively the Jaguars are still looking for answers, and although Maurice Jones-Drew continues his feverish early season pace (122 yards, 3 touchdwons) the passing game again was nearly non-existent. Quarterback David Garrard has escaped critisicm in the early season as his team has played well in route to an undefeated start. However the lack of production at the QB spot is troubling to Coach Dunlap.

"Right now, we've got some serious issues we are trying to address. Just because we are winning doesn't mean we are satisfied," Dunlap lamented.

"I kind of feel like we are cutting a chickens head off, putting a band-aid on it, and then calling it good. Yeah, sometimes the chicken will run in the right direction and get where you want it to go, but you'd be fooling yourselves to think that will happen consistently. With our schedule coming up, it's going to be tough for us to compete without some threat of the pass."

The Jaguars #1 ranked defense will be tested next week in Buffalo. The Bills recently defeated the three time defending AFC East Champion New England Patriots. Coach Dunlap is 2-0 against the Bills during his tenure in Jacksonville.

--------------------------------------------------

GG Dave. This was a much closer game than the final score. Was 17-7 until late third quarter. You're gonna beat some good teams this year, mark my words.

2. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

plus, it was a hurricane; must've been a weather cheat code

until anyone proves otherwise, Jags are the team to beat in the AFC

3. Big D

Big D Walk On

All FOUR of my games so far have been in torrential downpours. Three in Jacksonville, one in San Diego.

Jaguars love the rain! My Machine doesn't get rusty!

4. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

the weather certainly didn't favor my receivers, or any really, they were slipping on all their cuts, and Peyton was just sitting there in the pocket waiting to get hit. Against that front 7, that means bad news