Week 4 Summaries

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Big-Bear-W, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Big-Bear-W

Big-Bear-W Walk On

Week 4 Summaries

[size=+2]Utah State 21 V. SDSU 14[/size]

In a tight-fought battle, everything turned on a solid Utah running game and the ups and downs of Aztec QB Ryan Lindley.

SDSU looked sharp moving the ball on offense, primarily through the air. The timing of Lindley was well executed and he stood strong in the pocket.

[​IMG]

Lindley was the Aztec player of the game going 21/39 for 312 yds and 2 TD.

Looking to put up the first points of the game SDSU sat at the Aggies 12 yd line when a disasterous fumble was meticulously gathered by the USU strong safety Walter McClenton who took the rock 88 yds for the major.

[​IMG]

This big defensive play bouyed the Aggies who, after a stalled Aztec drive promptly marched the length of the field on the back of a strong running game. Rob Turbin punched the ball in from the 4 yard line. Giving UTah State a 14-0 lead to close the first half.

The Aztecs' starting tailback, B.Sullivan could only watch from the sidelines as he missed half of the game with a bruised sternum. When he was in the game he played well, but there was no comparison between the running games of these two sides. SDSU struggled on the ground, while Utah State moved the ball effectively.

The running game engineered a third touchdown for the Aggies to open the fourth quarter, giving them a formidable 21-0 lead.

Undaunted Ryan Lindley put the team on his back and lead a no huddle spread attack that moved the ball with a good mix of short and long passes.

[​IMG]

The Aztecs scored on two consecutive series to narrow the margin to 21-14. The defense stepped up and got Lindley the ball back with a little less than 2 minutes to play. Unfortunately the game seemed too big for some of the younger Aztecs and the passing game fell apart. Good pressure from Utah State and a few dropped passes resulted in the comeback drive falling short.

Throughout the game middle linebacker Devin Johnson lead the Utah State defense and was very solid in coverage in between making 5 tackles. Johnson had an excellent interception reading the movement of the SDSU slot receiver on a crossing route.

[​IMG]

The Aztecs remain winless. Utah State evens their record at 2-2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Great Write up and Great Game Big Bear. Your offense is tough 312 through the air is great! looking at the stats I should have lost that game!

3. Big-Bear-W

Big-Bear-W Walk On

Haha, was a great game, I enjoyed it. I think the telling stat as to why you won the game was your defense on third down. I can't believe my eyes. 10% conversion? Not good, not good.

4. Jvigorous1

Jvigorous1 Hokie

The Wolfpack traveled to BYU with a hot passing game and a very unusual sputtering run game. Once again luck was on the side of Nevada as BYU penetrated the run game at will in the first half. Defensively Nevada couldn't stop the BYU pass game as they got first downs at will.

Coach Jvigorous stated "thank goodness we have Kaepernick under center to get the ball moving because or run block game is just absolutely TERRIBLE right now! We have a very good RB in Taua but its just absolutely frustrating to watch him get smothered by 3 defensive lineman as he's getting the handoff". Once again the Wolfpack had to abandon the run game and focus strictly on passing to have any chance of winning since they were forced to punt 3 series ina row.

Rushing ATT Yards TD Long
    Lampford Mark 1 -4 0 0
    Vai Taua 7 -12 0 4

Down 24-14 heading in the 4th the defense of Nevada finally stop the BYU offense and get on the board with a 12 yard TD pass to WR Wimberly. The Cougars get the ball back and run off a minute of the clock before they were forced to punt and Kaepernick had 85 yards to give them the victory or a FG to go into OT. Expecting the pass BYU drops 8 guys back leaving a huge hole for Kaepernick to run in 15 yards for the TD and the win.

[​IMG]

Stats and Videos here