Week 4: Washington @ Tampa Bay

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by BirdDog1980, Sep 30, 2012.

1. BirdDog1980

BirdDog1980 Walk On

Mar 27, 2012
    Buccaneers - 33
    Redskins - 17

It was a hot and muggy day in Tampa, FL on the last day of September, 2012. It was 95 degrees at Kickoff lol.

Tampa Bay used a relentless defensive assault and recorded 10, yes Ten, sacks on RG3 on their way to a 33-17 victory at home to remain undefeated at 4-0 heading into their Bye week in Week 5. LE Michael Bennet, RE Adrian Clayborn, DT Gerald McCoy, all had 3 a piece, and DT Amobi Okoye had 1. Tampa now leads the league with 20 sacks through just 4 games.

Offensively, they were slow to start and had some miscues. QB Josh Freeman threw 2 more INTs, but he backed it up with 3 TD passes. He now has 9 TDs and 7 INTs on the season. Rookie RB Doug Martin continued to be a workhorse in the Tampa Bay backfield. He had 22 carries, 95 yds, 1 TD, and he fumbled for the first time in his career when FS Tanard Jackson hammered him in the first half.

There was a strange sequence of events in the first quarter that will be talked about in the media in the upcoming week..

Tampa Bay went up 7-0 on a very dangerous pass by Freeman to Dallas Clark, where the FS jumped the route and went for the pick... somehow the pass got in there and Clark was behind the defense and won the footrace to the endzone for the first score of the game. On the ensuing possession, Tampa got a couple of nice coverage sacks that forced Washington to punt from deep in their territory. A few plays later, Freeman went for blood. He went playaction and tried to catch the safteys cheating up. The pass was intended to Mike Williams, but it didn't have much on it. Josh Wilson I believe it was, outjumped Williams for the pick, about 3-4 yds into the endzone. Before he could take a knee, a Tampa WR tackled Wilson and knocked him forward. It appeared he was still in the endzone for the Touchback.. at the very least, they should've marked him down at the 1, just outside of the Goalline. But apparantly the Replacement Refs snuck their way into Raymond James Stadium today. Pissed off about the Referee Lockout ending and knowing that they were out of a job, they were determined to go out in a blaze of glory, like only the Replacements could, and they ruled it a SAFTEY! BirdDog and Danthraxxx were stunned.. neither could believe what just happened, or knew what to do about it.. the scoreboard now read 9-0, Tampa Bay ball. Out of goodwill, and for the integrity of the game that has recently been damaged in the Packers/Seahawks Monday Night debacle, I paused it and sent a quick message to Dan that I would give him the ball back. Following the Free Kick, I punted the ball back to him on 1st Down. Didn't know what to do about the score, I just hoped that 2 points wouldn't be the outcome of this game or all hell was going to break loose.

RG3 would crack the stingy Tampa 2 defense of the Bucs in the 2nd qtr, hitting Santana Moss deep twice on Go Routes. The 2nd one came just before half, and right after Tampa scored to make it 19-7. The extra point would make it 19-14 Bucs at the half. Moss had a huge day with 5 catches, 158 yds, 2 TDs.

In the 2nd half, Doug Martin was finally able to break some decent runs.. he was held in check for all of the first half by that nasty 3-4 defense of the Skins... They have some really nasty linebackers on that team. I think at one point of the first half, Martin had 7 carries for only like 13 yds or so. But he recovered nicely after the half, and even found the endzone late in the game to put it out of reach.

RG3 just couldn't get much done in the 2nd half, and he wasnt getting much help either. Aside from getting sacked 10 times, Tampa forced a fumble on one of those sacks, which the Skins recovered, and the Bucs also picked him off 3 times. Although they had a bad day today, Washington is a solid team on the rise. RG3 is going to be a star in the NFL real soon, and that defense is really nasty. (I enjoyed playing with the Skins in the Demo). Another year or 2 and they'll be contending in the NFC East.

Some quick injury notes:

Both teams lost their starting Middle Linebackers for just over a month. Perry Riley went down with Broken Ribs and will be out for 5 Weeks for Washington.

Tampa MLB Mason Foster went down with a Broken Collarbone, and even had to be carried off on the John Deere. He also is out 5 Weeks for the Bucs.

Sorry again about the Saftey Danthraxxx, a completely BS call. Just kinda glad it wasnt the outcome of the game. Not sure how that would've been handled lol Probably an injunction and protest filed on Washington's behalf lol. Best of luck on the rest of the season.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Mar 17, 2011

Yeah it was a good game, felt like my team almost got the momentum back after that BS safety but we had too many turnovers. Good luck rest of the season.
  3. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

Apr 9, 2009
    bucs continue to thrash the NFC East.