Week 5 2016 Now Open - Deadline = 4.22.11 7:00 a.m. EST

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by CLW, Apr 20, 2011.

1. CLW

CLW GBN Commish

Week 5 Now Open

Deadline = April 22, 2011 7:00 a.m. EST

GBN v. GBN = CLW v. Radio

Radio I am flying out to Philly for a few days but will pack the PS3. I will be around most of the afternoon/evening today and most likely anytime tomorrow night. Just let me know what works best for you.

Thanks!

2. onaradio34

onaradio34 Tryin not to show how little I know bout anything

I could go anytime before 6ish today or from 4-9pm on Thursday

3. CLW

CLW GBN Commish

Lets shoot for tomorrow night. I really need to get prepped for tomorrow and do some job apps at least until later tonight.

4. onaradio34

Sounds like a plan...I'll have my AIM on all day so hit me up when you wanna go

5. Roadhouse

Roadhouse Walk On

Miami is humbled by the lowly Ball Sack Cardinals. It was a boring game that I should not have played because I was doing other things at the same time, and the lack of focus killed me.

Miami raced out to a quick 21-7 lead early in the second qtr. The Cards stalled and settled for a FG, and then put together a nasty, unstoppable drive to score a TD with 3 seconds left in the half. 21-17 and the tide had turned.

Ball State owned the thrid quarter putting up 14 points and Dat U choked on its own cock. Jack Black got knocked out for a play and returned with no accuracy. 31-21 bad guys, but we got our groove back in the 4th scoring on a flip to Gary Coleman. The little man bowled his way into the end zone and we're down by 3. After another 3 and out by Ball Sack, we start to drive again.

Just like last week's game, we're looking to get in position to kick one for the tie. However, we go for the big strike when we see a linebacker on our fastest WR. Black heaves, and LB Chris Mack makes a spectacular, leaping, over-the-shoulder catch in the end zone to break the knife off in my ribs. The Cards drive and settle for a 49 yard FG with 10 seconds left on the clock. Hey, it's still a chance.

The kick comes to Dave Chapelle. He streaks up and hits traffic, he tries to wriggle free from the first contact, and drops the ball! It's a scoop and score with 1 second left on the clock. As if I didn't know who's daddy that day, EA goes for the 2 pt conversion. Fucking really? But I get a warning when I go for two to go up by 7? Obviously a 12 point lead isn't deemed safe enough with 1 freaking second left. They fail. They win. 40-28.

The Miami community is stunned. We had multiple prospects visiting and this disaster may cost us any hopes we had of landing some decent talent this year.

6. Fred Limbo

Fred Limbo MVP

We got a big win and a nice game form Olsen at QB.....we went in with a chip on our shoulder and look to make a statement...​

ScreenHunter_08 Apr. 21 11.28.gif
    ScreenHunter_09 Apr. 21 11.28.gif

7. CLW

CLW GBN Commish

FYI - apparently PSN is down and out. Saw some reports saying it could be down for a day or two. Radio and I might not be able to get our game in until Tues as he has some family stuff all weekend.

8. Fred Limbo

Fred Limbo MVP

yea saw that ...we will have to do whatever it takes....

9. Roadhouse

Roadhouse Walk On

I got an idea! Let's redo the whole week!!

10. CLW

CLW GBN Commish

Radio and I were hoping to get our game in today but its not looking good. I just got in fired up the PS3 and now get a message saying PSN is undergoing maintenance.

Obviously, we can't play with PSN being down so we are kind of in a holding pattern until PSN is back up and running.

11. Roadhouse

Roadhouse Walk On

Wow, still locked out as of 8:30 Saturday morning.

12. CLW

CLW GBN Commish

Yeah apparently the PSN got hacked into and they are trying to fix whatever back door people found. I suspect Sony would like to keep their customers' credit card #s and contact information private if possible.

13. CLW

CLW GBN Commish

Update from the folks at Sony:

14. Roadhouse

Roadhouse Walk On

Well that blows. But, a recent check of my credit card bill shows no mysterious charges. I can't complain too much. Well actually I can complain a lot, but no one wants to hear it.

Seriously, let's erase the last week and call it a do over....

15. Roadhouse

Roadhouse Walk On

And now the pisser is that I can't access Netflix through the PS3 because it's tied into the Playstation Network.

16. Roadhouse

Roadhouse Walk On

Day 5...the seige continues. Supplies are high, morale has been shaken but still solid, and we are waiting for more news when this will be over. Rumors abound, but we know much of it is deception. It is difficult to filter the lies from the truth. All we can do is hope and pray that we will be rescued....

17. soxandgators

soxandgators The Gator Nation

Plan on at least 7-10 more days of seige...They are totally doing psn over

18. CLW

CLW GBN Commish

Yep. Going to be a LONG time before the GBN is back up and runnin'

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/25/rumor-rebug-custom-firmware-enabled-free-psn-downloads-for/

19. onaradio34

[​IMG]

Anyone see "Sabatoge Annual Kent State/Eastern Michigan Game" on there? How about "Offer Online Play"?

• Like Like x 1
  20. CLW

CLW GBN Commish

FYI - personal/credit card info may have been compromised in the hack.

Keep an eye out on your CC for any fishy transactions. Some portions of PSN may be up next week.

This outage has pretty much cost us 1 season. My best guess is at this rate we now have this season and one more which will likely put us into the end of June. At that point I really don't see the need to try to cram one last season into 12 days.

21. soxandgators

soxandgators The Gator Nation

Sounds like a plan a 2 week break plus 2 weeks waiting on the patches too the new game gives us a nice breather

22. Fred Limbo

Fred Limbo MVP

its all crazy

23. CLW

CLW GBN Commish

Yeah. From what I am reading we will be lucky if PSN is back up and running at the beginning of May.

I traded my NCAA in some time ago and got the rental via GameFly. However, if you guys want to trade NCAA in before it completely becomes worthless let me know. We have had a pretty good year and I have enjoyed playing with/against you all and as far as I am concerned we can call it a year whenever the majority wants to.

As you guys may remember I am moving to Houston, TX mid-June (wife graduates from her OBGYN residency at Brown on June 18th). As such, I will likely be out of commission for an undetermined amount of time. #1 Gotta drive from The People's Republic to the land God Blessed; #2 Gotta get unpacked/situated and all utilities up and running; #3 Gotta get a job that will pay for #2. (had a good interview yesterday and i am hoping for a job offer in the near future)

I'll transfer Commish duties to Roady (the last original standing other than yours truly) before things become too crazy for me. We should also discuss how we want to run in 12.

As you may know, we lost our Premier Status next year at TF. I don't blame the powers that be as there just wasn't much interest in the GBN (probably that horrible commish we have).

GBN 12 FORMAT?

Some ideas I thought of: (the #s are sort of my general thought process right now in order of preference)

#1 "Original GBN Format" - for everyone other than Roady and myself I'll give a brief explanation. Originally, we we got up and runnin' back in the day we all took B- or lower teams from BCS Conferences. I had Stanford as an example. My thought process would be to limit the GBN next yr to the: PAC 12; SEC; ACC; Big 10 (all 4 are BCS and all 4 have title games). Additionally, we would limit the teams to the worst teams from those conferences:

PAC 12 = Colorado; Washington State; UCLA

SEC = Ole Miss; Vandy; Kentucky

ACC = Duke; Wake Forest; Virginia

Big 10 = Purdue; Minnesota; Indiana*

*Teams would be subject to change depending on EA ratings.

IF we decided to go with this format there would still be 1-2 guaranteed user games per year in conference with possible conference championship user v. user games. Additionally, you could always schedule additional HUM v. HUM games OOC (Duke v. Vandy series as an example). Moreover, if we get the sliders right the CPU would be more difficult that our current MAC CPU. The 12 teams we use would be decided by the mighty commish. However, I would of course draw names out of the hat and we could have a draft to pick our new school. The rest of the GBN you know and love would remain the same 48 hour rule etc...

#2 "Same Format" - We could basically keep the GBN "as is". In other words, everyone in the MAC (or some other non-bcs conference preferably with a championship game). I enjoyed the MAC this year and never even sniffing a BCS bowl much less the title (thanks Sox!). However, I think this format MAY have been one of the major issues to us losing some of the TF guys that we did and not drawing much interest when we needed new blood.

#3 "ANY Team Format" - Basically no holds barred anything goes. You want to run with Ohio St., Alabama, etc... you can. You want to role with Duke you can. I tend to not like this dynasty format for a few reasons. #1 there are a TON of other dynasties where everyone is a POWER to start so the GBN loses some of its "creativity" / "uniqueness". #2 I get bored quickly with each season boiling down to only a handful of HUM v. HUM games for the BCS title where all 12 of us end up being ranked 1-12 in the polls.

POSSIBLE NEW FORUM?

Let me start off by saying I like the guys here at TF and I think they run a good site. However, IMHO there are 2 "problems". #1 it is predominately a 360 site and we are a PS3 dynasty. #2 most of the TF PS3 guys like "Any Team Format" so they can take their favorite school (which is usually a powerhouse program) and compete for BCS titles every season.

I am also a donating member at thegamingtailgate.com The site is run by the guys who used to be very heavily involved with NCAA Strategies (think the guys that did the Utopia Podcasts/Youtube videos. They are great guys. #1 their site is predominately a PS3 site. #2 they have guys that are fans of programs like Arkansas State and allot of the guys would probably really like our lesser team format. Basically, I think it will be easier to get and more importantly keep 12 guys in the GBN if we make a switch. You would not have to pay to join the site. My donation entitles me to host a section of the forums for my OD (just like we have here at TF).

Any thoughts/concerns about a possible switch of forums? Everything would be the same with the exception of the location of the forums.

In sum, let me know what you think about the following three issues: (1) when to end the GBN 11; (2) Format preference for 12; (3) Possible switch to TGT.

Thanks!

24. Fred Limbo

Fred Limbo MVP

1. I am down with playing GBN till 12 drops....I like the challenge that this league provides with recruiting and playing against top teir teams. So if we keep playing I am down if not just let me know.

2. I like #1 Original Format that you explained.

3. I am in severl TF leagues and plan on staying a active user on this site. I am also a member of GBN and plan on playing it no matter what site you decided to host it from. Just let me know what to do when the time comes.

25. CLW

CLW GBN Commish