Week 5, 2017

Discussion in 'Chompion's League' started by Spayer419, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

I'm extending advance deadline an extra day (everyone has until the end of the 27th) because of Christmas. I hope that everyone has a good time with their families. Do what you can to get everything done in a timely fashion, if we can advance per usual that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world! I apologies that some of you are playing 2-3 user games in a row, I know that's a tough pill to swallow both from a record and personal time standpoint, but it's sometimes unavoidable. Nonetheless, A couple of very nice user matchups this week...good luck!​
    #23 Florida vs. #18 Southern Miss​
    Florida State vs. NC State​
    #11 Oklahoma vs. #19 Arkansas​
    #7 Texas vs. Mississippi State​
    #2 Georgia Tech @ North Carolina
    #3 Notre Dame @ #17 Michigan
    #6 Wisconsin vs. #21 Boise State​
    #8 Alabama @ South Carolina​
    User Game of the Week: #1 Ohio State @ #14 Iowa

2. macc24usc

macc24usc Walk On

Seminoles Stingy Defense Leads Team to 2-3, 34-14 over NCSU.

It would be tough defense that lead to the FSU victory today at Bobby Dodd, to the tune of allowing just 65 yards of total offense, 55 on the ground and one pass completion for 10 yards. The reckless Seminoles sacked oppsing NCSU QB J. Jones seven times! He was on his back all day and terrified to throw the entire game. Many of his 6 incompletions were from having to get rid of the ball without his feet set with pressure in his face and it showed. NCSU legitimately quit throwing the ball by the 4th quarter.

NCSU looked strong early on, talking a 14-3 lead and having Bobby Dodd awfully confused and quiet. QB Steve Pennington was chucking the ball in awful conditions in heavy rain, and threw 3 early interceptions that kept NCSU in it. FSU would score after a big completion down field to senior wideout M. Robertson that lead to one of JR RB Brandon Hurst's two carries that went for pay dirt on the day, making it 14-10 NCSU. The Seminoles would force a punt on the ensuing drive and Pennington would find slot receiver true FR Chip Mitchell from 36 and FSU would go into the locker room with a 16-14 lead and tons of momentum.

The defense held strong at this point and didn't budge in the second half as WR Steve Black was found from 33 yards out in the endzone and Brandon Hurst punched his second on the day in not long into the 4th. Pennington really calmed down by this point tallying 400 yards passing on 19 comp 34 att, 2TDs but an awful 4INTs making his QB Rating about his season average - 150.5.

Chip Mitchell was todays player of the game with a 165 yard 9 catch 1TD day, Chip the Ripper was on a tear and found open space in the middle of the field all game. He would've had 200+ yards had it not been for slips in the wet terrain or passes that got broken up at the very last second by NCSU defenders. He looked like a man on a mission and through 5 games the true freshman sensation has 18 catches for 375 yards and 5TDs. Mitchell's on pace to break freshman ACC records so keep and eye on him the rest of the year as he's really made a case for the 5 recruits on campus visiting for the lopsided victory.

"They're team really dominated today. I liked what I saw and I like FSU more and more every time I watch them because I can see myself being able to be a big contributor in their offense. I saw Steve get sacked way too many times, I wanna battle next year for that starting LT spot - I think I could do a better job of protecting FSU's QB" Thomas Wynn told SeminoleNation when we caught up with him after the game. Wynn is the 4th ranked Tackle in the country and he's been an avid FSU recruit and recruiter as he tries to bring to Talahasse with him a strong class.

It was the first time SS Dee Robertson got to see Bobby Dodd Stadium and he came away extremely impressed.

"Man I love how their safeties play and interact. It's awesome seeing them out there do that, I want to have that type of role. I can stop the run and make plays behind the line. I love their system and I had a great visit" Robertson told reporters, he's from Lawrenceville, GA so he would be a big recruit for FSU... in more ways than one - establishing a strong connection with the state of Georgia, and his 6'5 frame walking thru the tunnell would be menacing. The fact that this kid has an entire senior year ahead of him and allready looks as impressive on the huff as he does, this kid could be a stud.

"I wanted to take my State visit early, because I want to focus all of my attention onto my high school career. We are going for state this year so that's what I'm going to focus my mind on. I've got calls from some schools but right now FSU is my #1 especially after my visit. I may commit and get it out of the way soon," Robertson also said.

FSU also made a big impression on TE Scott Clay the 3rd ranked TE, from Upper Providence, PA. Clay saw the Seminoles beat his hometown Pittsburgh Panthers two weeks back and took his official this week. Clay's also been an avid recruiter for the program early on this year, communicating with current commits RB Matt Alexander and DE Maclom Cook.

The win pumped some new life into FSU as they move forward as they head into Clemson next week for a huge rivalry game between the two schools. State heads back home to host BC and then Idaho before taking a two week hiatus and gearing up for the final stretch of their season. Coach Macc is hopeful he can be headed into the week 14 marquee matchip with in state rival Florida with 8 wins on the year as he makes a push for a BCS Bowl game.

3. cmassey13

cmassey13 Walk On

It will likely be Thursday before Texas will play their game. Could possibly get it done late Wednesday.

4. Glen Cieske

Glen Cieske Walk On

I should be able to get my game done late Wednesday

5. Crumbler81

Crumbler81 Walk On

Hey cyhiphopp, when is a good time for you?

I have to work the rest of the week so I won't be available until around 9pm est tonight and tomorrow.

6. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

Can we shoot for 9PM CST tonight? Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

7. Crumbler81

Crumbler81 Walk On

9pm cst works for me!

8. CJTHA1

CJTHA1 Walk On

GATORS WIN 2ND IN A ROW!!!

The Florida Gators won the second game in a row defeating #18 Southern Miss 38-24. For the 3rd game in a row the Gators scored a defensive touchdown, this time Brian Strickland returned the ball 71 yards for the 1st touchdown of the game. The offense was once again well balanced getting 209 thru the air and 192 on the ground. James Lewis got his 1st 100-yard game of the season gaining 133 yards on 20 carries along with a touchdown. Tanner spread the ball around hitting 8 different receivers with TE Erik Mosley leading the team with 5 receptions for 96 yards and a touchdown. Rodney Fields became the Gators all-time leader in receiving yards today in the 3rd quarter. Next week is the last of a 3 game homestand as the Gators take on the Missouri Tigers.

9. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

Crumbler81, Spayer419

I am not going to be able to play tonight as planned. Any way we can play tomorrow night? I am having some family issues and am not going to be able to play tonight.

10. Crumbler81

Crumbler81 Walk On

Sure man, I will be available tomorrow night around the same time.

11. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

We are just waiting on cmassey13 and the user game. Will be advancing tonight after Michigan-ND is done, so Texas please have your game in before that.

12. Crumbler81

Crumbler81 Walk On

Hey cyhiphopp, 9pm cst still good for you tonight?

13. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

Yessir

14. macc24usc

macc24usc Walk On

So geeked for this adv! I need some big time help in this recruiting battle with GT/AUB for Cavlin Johnson's lil cousin! Kids a BEAST

15. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

name?

16. macc24usc

macc24usc Walk On

He's the #1 overall recruit and WR, Marcus Johnson. Man he would look so good in our receiving corps! I don't think there's ever been a recruit I've NEEDED more

17. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Yeah he looks legit, hoping one of the users get him

18. macc24usc

macc24usc Walk On

Auburn and GT are in the drivers seat this week, I'm hopeful he doesn't commit either place before his week 8 visit to Bobby Dodd god I wish I scheduled it week 7 now,,, aghhh

19. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

[​IMG]

Quick rundown of the the ND vs Michigan battle.

This one was a slobber knocker. Both teams came to hit and the defenses really were the stars of the show. Notre Dame was lucky to get some big plays early to get a decent lead because Michigan didn't want to give up anything. Fortunately for Notre Dame, their defense didn't want to either.
    On the first drive of the game it looked like the Irish would roll. They efficiently drove the ball down the field. However, the Wolverine D stiffened significantly in the redzone and forced a field goal. The TD of the game came on a long scamper by, you guessed it, JR Gant. However Michigan looked to answer soon after. They got their power running game rolling strong and methodically worked their way down the field mixing in efficient passing. But this time it was Notre Dames turn to stiffen up in the Red Zone. A play action pass was picked off in the end zone for a HUGE momentum swing. A possible 10-7 score disappeared and ND did not give up any points in the first half. In fact, they pounced on the Wolverines and put two more TDs on the board including a bomb with 5 seconds left int he half. The half time score was 24-0 but could have been much closer without the crucial turnover.

The second half was a slugfest. Notre Dame was foiled in their attempt to grind it out with the power run game and Michigan was able to get on the board for their first score, 24-7. The Michigan D did their job in the second half pounding the ND offense and limiting them to just two field goals.
    Unfortunately for the UM faithful, turnovers would be their undoing. The Wolverines needed to get multiple scores and were forced to pass. The ND defense came up with 3 more interceptions in the second half. All 4 interceptions were to the same redshirt freshman safety (whose name escapes me here at work). Needless to say, he was the player of the game for the defense.
    Final score, 30-7. Turnovers kept this from being a nail biter. Both team look forward to taking on their next conference opponent and hope there isn't any hangover from this tough game.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
    • Like Like x 1