Week#5 Chargers 34 Raiders 31 OT

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by sammymitchell25, Sep 16, 2010.

1. sammymitchell25

sammymitchell25 Walk On

Oct 12, 2009
    Week#5 Chargers 34 Raiders 31 OT

One of the biggest rivalries in the league, Chargers go to the black hole to take on the Raiders.

To start the game the Raiders were looking good. First, they catch the Chargers off-guard with a screen pass to Brian Westbrook for 33 yds to the house to take an early lead. Then, they make the slow-starting Chargers punt and quickly score again with a 66 yard TD run by McFadden, run DMC to put them up 14-0 in the first.

Second quarter, different story. A little role-reversal as the Chargers were the ones doing the scoring, after Eric Weddle blasts Heyward-Bey to force a fumble, Chargers take the ball and Rivers connects with newly aquired TE Cameron Morrah for a 6 yard TD, then soon after, Rivers hits sproles across the middle for an 11 yard TD to make it 14-14 at the half.

In the 3rd.... Once again, the Raiders throw the screen pass (which blocking for screen passes is amazing in this game) anyway, this time to Chaz Shilens for an 80 yard TD scamper putting the Raiders up 21-14, San Diego soon takes the ball downfield and Rivers connects, this time with Mike Thomas for a 34 yard TD pass to tie the game 21-21. Soon after they get the ball back and once again drives and gets the go-ahead FG to take their first lead of the game 24-21 going into the fourth.....

The fourth quarter started with controversy, not too far in, Raiders' Campbell drops back, and as he gets hit, lets the ball go and is picked off by DE Castillo, who took it to the house to take a commanding lead 31-21 and finally getting some breathing room (P.S. I really, really hate the picks by the D-lineman, it really really took away from the excitement of this game, and I feel for Savaunte to lose because of these bullcrap picks, dont get me wrong, ill take it. But it really sucks, its happened to me also and around the league, it was a great game and I was up 24-21 at the time of the pick and it changed the game bigtime, hopefully the patch, whenever it comes out fixes this problem) But that doesn't stop the Raiders from coming back, quickly scoring, Campbell to Higgins for a 78 yard TD, once again, right through the DBs hands (another gripe) closing the gap, 31-28 SD. The Chargers then, maybe a mistake, but started to play a little conservative a little too early with too much time to go, They would give the ball back to the Raiders with plenty of time to go, who took advantage and drove downfield to the redzone with 1:00 to go, letting the clock run down, the Raiders made sure they got the last score, wanting the TD to win, but the Chargers had other plans, stopping the Raiders twice from the 2 yard line to hold the Raiders to a game tying FG.

Overtime started with a coin-toss that went the Raders way, and they chose to recieve, after a huge sack, the Raiders were forced to punt it to the Chargers, with a big return to their own 40, the Chargers had a great opportunity to put this game away with a score, relying on the run, and like the rest of the game, it payed dividends as Mathews and sproles made a few good runs and a clinching pass to always-reliable Gates to get into range, not to take anymore chances, they kick the GW 34 yard FG on 2nd down to give the Chargers the BIG win

GREAT game Savaunte, sucks that the big differnce was a crappy play like that. I was REALLY pissed about that as I messaged u right after, I helped me, but thats not the point, it was agreat game and it tainted it a little, luckily u were able to come back and tie it after.

Good luck the rest of the year......

Charger have now won 3 in a row, and are undefeated vs the spread

Rivers- 19-27 251yds 3 TDs
    Mathews 21 car 101 yds
    Thomas 3 rec 80 yds TD
    Gates 5 rec 82 yds
    Morrah, Sproles, TD rec each
    LB Applewhite- sack, forced fumble
    8 different receivers caught a pass...

Campbell- 17-28 351yds 3TDs INT
    McFadden 5 car 71 yds TD (66yd TD)
    Higgins 78 yd TD
    Westbrook 3 rec 52 yds TD
    Shilens 2 rec 83 yds TD
    9 different receivers caught a pass
    Rolando McClain- 12 tackles, sack
  2. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

Oct 9, 2009
    Wow Sam, you are playing really well this season. Good job!
  3. sammymitchell25

sammymitchell25 Walk On

Oct 12, 2009
    Thanks, this one could've went either way