Week 5 Content/Discussion

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by SodaAddict, Nov 9, 2010.

1. SodaAddict

SodaAddict Proud Hurt Locker Commish

We advanced in to week 5 a day early on account of everyone getting their games in.

Deadline for week 5 is Wednesday, November 11 at 11:59 pm eastern.

There are no user games this week.

2. AJ Hart MN

AJ Hart MN Marseille - TFL Season 1 Champions

Another question for ya Soda. Should we be putting our game summaries in the game summary thread or in the weekly content/discussion?

3. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Id much rather be putting them in the weekly threads. Thinking about doing that for redshirts in the gameday thread.

4. PAgamer07

Oh yeah, and I need to get ACC done. We move fast!

5. SodaAddict

Weekly content thread is preferred for me. I think it's really just better because it is in the flow of conversation. Everyone goes to look here and can easily make comments on the games.

It's a less formal approach that should keep the league accessible to more people and not make people feel like the league is overwhelming them.

If people want to post stuff on the traditional game summaries forum, that's fine too, just try to say something about all your games here.

6. ctvolfan

ctvolfan Vol for Life!!

Same here for the Big 12, pagamer.

7. AJ Hart MN

pretty crazy, isn't it?? we've come a long way from the middle of last year. It looks as if the new blood did some good!

8. PAgamer07

Totally agree, and it looks like Soda is around more too ;)

9. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

[​IMG]

The SEC West lost a couple of unbeaten teams this week with Alabama falling on the road to Arkansas 19-14 and LSU dropping one at home to South Carolina 28-21.

[​IMG]

Florida repelled a late charge by Tennessee to win a shootout 45-42. Going into the 4th quarter up by a score of 45-28, the Gators thought they would be able to coast to a victory, but the Vols had a different plan. They scored 14 unanswered in the 4th and closed it to 3 with 1:36 remaining. Unfortunately for the Vols, they were unable to score one final time. The Gators D was porous all day, allowing Tyler Bray to throw for 397 yards and 4 TDs and allowing Daniel Oku 137 yards and 2 TDs on the ground. However, the Gators offense was just as good, putting up over 170 yards on the ground and over 300 through the air. The player of the game was Lance West who threw for 312 yards and 3 TDs and who seems to have solidified his grip on the starting job.

This week the Gators will face off against the Kentucky Wildcats in Gainesville.

[​IMG]

Previously third ranked Alabama was shocked in Fayetteville by a score of 19-14. QB Tyler Wilson led the way for the Razorbacks, going 27-42 with 365 yards and a TD toss but it was Jewel Hampton who scored the decisive touchdown, pounding it in from 2 yards out with 1:37 remaining to put Arkansas on top. Turnovers were the story of the day with Arkansas turning the ball over only once while Alabama gave it away 4 times. Despite the loss, Curtis Murphy played very well, earning player of the game honors by catching 6 balls for 104 yards.

Alabama will get a chance to recover this week as they welcome UL Lafayette to Bryant-Denny Stadium.

[​IMG]

The Tigers dropped a close one at home, falling 28-21 to South Carolina. This loss drops them to 3-1 (1-1). Their main problem was turnovers. 4 INTs (including one returned for a TD) were the reason that LSU came up short in this game. While this loss is bitterly disappointing for the Tigers, they still control their own destiny in the SEC West and they still think they have a great shot to repeat as SEC champions.

LSU will attempt to regroup this week when the Utah Utes come to Death Valley.

[​IMG]

South Carolina scored a huge win over LSU, winning by a final score of 28-21. Their secondary played very well (despite giving up a lot of passing yards) by intercepting 4 balls. Co-players of the game are DJ Swearinger who returned an INT for a TD in the first quarter and Marcus Lattimore who had 113 yards and a TD on the ground and also had 48 receiving yards and a TD through the air. He also ran the ball for 3 consecutive first downs to end the game when LSU was frantically trying to get the football back.

This week South Carolina will travel to Nashville to play Vanderbilt.

SEC Game of the Week:

[​IMG]@[​IMG]

Coming off a big win over LSU in Death Valley, the Gamecocks will have to go back on the road to battle with an undefeated SEC East opponent, the surprising Vanderbilt Commodores. South Carolina will have to avoid the let down that so often comes with a major win like the one they had last week. Vanderbilt gave South Carolina all they could handle last year and hope to do even better this year.

Prediction: Vanderbilt 27-South Carolina 24

This Week's SEC Standings:

[​IMG]

10. SodaAddict

Two leagues disbanding helps some with that... but the biggest thing was that I took over this league right as I was starting a new job... and the first time in more than 5 years that I have had to work 40 hours a week. So, I had a big life change there and it took me a few weeks to get everything sorted, like how to manage my limited free time and everything.

Then, we had the turnover and trying to get to the end of last season with getting to 12 committed members while all the other stuff was going on was a difficult challenge, but I had a feeling that we'd be ok once we got to the beginning of this season.

Nevertheless, great job so far everyone. You're making it hard to keep up with content and that's not a bad thing :)

11. PAgamer07

yeah work sucks. Try 40-50 hours a week a wife a toddler and a newborn :p

12. AJ Hart MN

Wow, predicting Vandy to beat you.. Quite the confident coach. ;)

13. PAgamer07

14. SodaAddict

Yeah, I mean, I know I don't have it as hard as some by any stretch. It was just a shell shock going from having (for the most part) nothing but free time for several years to working 40 hours a week.

15. SodaAddict

I think that's taking being humble to a different level.

16. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

I mean, Vandy isnt really that bad. I think we're both B overall.

17. ctvolfan

ctvolfan Vol for Life!!

[​IMG]

This week in the Big 12 we are going to look game by game at each matchup and predict the outcome. With the weeks games being played at a faster the content is not going to be as good. I think we all can live with that.

[​IMG]@ [​IMG]

First big game of week five the Baylor Bears are traveling to Austin, TX to take on the 3rd ranked Longhorns. After pitching two straight shutouts the Longhorn defense is eager to play against a conference opponent and continue there dominance. Look for the Longhorn defense to have there handsful with Robert Griffin. Although he is a special player I just do not see it being enough to pull of the upset.

Baylor 13
    Texas 24

[​IMG]@ [​IMG]

Here in recent years the Red Raiders of Texas Tech have given many of the Big 12 teams all they can handle. Look for this game to be no different. The Red Raiders have there typical high powered passing game in full gear all ready this season. Look for the usual tough and nasty OU defense to slow it done and get the big W.

Texas Tech 21
    Oklahoma 31

[​IMG]@ [​IMG]

The Missouri Tigers are one of the more battle tested teams during this early part of the season. The have played touch games but always seem to be right there in the 4th quarter. The Tigers are favored in this game despite the two losses and I see the game playing out that way as well.

Colorado 17
    Missouri 28

[​IMG]@ [​IMG]

Lincoln, Nebraska is one of the tougher places to play in all the nation. The Jayhawks of Kansas will know exactly what that is like as soon as this game kicks off. The Cornhuskers have also been victim to a tough early schedule. However, do not take this two loss team for granted as they are one of the more talented in all the nation. Look for a dominating performance this week by Nebraska.

Kansas 14
    Nebraska 38

This weeks confernce games are just a preview of what is to come this Big 12 season. However the game that is on most peoples minds is:

[​IMG]

18. AJ Hart MN

You're really doing a great job with this ctvolfan.. Don't look now, but those Longhorns are already up to #3. That game against OU is gonna be awesome.

19. AJ Hart MN

C'mon Ryal, Vandy doesn't have a shot.

20. AJ Hart MN

We're already licking our chops over that week 6 game against LSU.. Bring your "A" game Tigers. We have payback on our minds.

21. PAgamer07

Well my season is officially fucked... We lose at home to Florida State with a shitload of recruits in attendance. I totally dominated them the whole game, but just couldnt punch the ball in the endzone. They score 17 in the 4th quarter. They tie it up with 12 seconds left, I have 2 timeouts, try to run a play and all my guys are covered. Try to run for some stupid reason and then fumble with 2 seconds left. They then proceed to kick the game winning FG.

Total disaster.

22. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

GO NOLES.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CMf2Apihd0&feature=related

23. ctvolfan

ctvolfan Vol for Life!!

Yea I know I cant wait hopefully I can get this user game in and have it go in my favor this time.

24. ctvolfan

ctvolfan Vol for Life!!

Huge win this week for the Texas Longhorns. Forced baylor into 8 turnovers.... yes I said 8.... If it were not for a pick six we would have pitched our third straight shutout. Kinda upset at myself for that. But we got the W 51-6. Huge game next week and you can tell all the players are excited and ready to go.

25. SodaAddict

Ouch! Man, Florida State.... wow. They're pissed off at all of us.