Week 5 Game Summaries

Discussion in 'Zeros to Heroes' started by Sabo, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Week 5 Game Summaries

Good luck everyone

2. csboiler05

csboiler05 Walk On

FIU (31) @ Pitt (38) in OT

In what became an ESPN Instant Classic (#1 on my list), both teams left everything they had on the field. Pitt took an early 7-0 lead, but FIU responded with a goaline run from their starting running back D. Perry. Pitt would add a second quarter score to make it a 14-7 game at the half. Both teams traded touchdowns and field goals in the third quarter to set up one of the most exciting 4th quarters in NCAA history. Pitt scored with just under 4 mins left in the game and seemed to have to game in hand, on the following kickoff FIU was called for holding and started it's drive from the 9 yard line. That's when W. Younger connected with WR A. Martinez for a 91 yard touchdown pass, that game the Golden Panthers hope with only 3 and a half minutes to play. FIU stopped the vaunted Pitt running game, and forced a punt, only to be interecepted. With the game in hand Pitt started running out the clock, on a questionable third down call, Pitt decided to go to the air instead of running the ball and this proved to be the opening FIU needed as they shut down the play, and had one last breath of air with 22 seconds left in the game. With 7 seconds left in the game Younger hit Martinez again for a 23 yard strike and FIU tied the game, and forced OT. In OT Pitt proved to be the stronger team as they were able to score on a 17 yard pass. FIU took the field and threw towards the endzone only to have it intercepted. We caught up with Coach Stewart after the game.

"I'm proud of my team once again, when we went on the road to Texas A&M we played hard but we didn't execute, this game we could have given up and conceeded but we showed our heart today, and our fight and didn't give up. I think we had a pretty good out of conference schedule, and I think that'll have us prepared for conference play. Our goal here is to win a conference championship, and head to a bowl game, nothing less will be acceptable. We'll get back to Miami and start preparing for Western Kentucky."

FIU/Pitt
    First Downs 14/18
    Total Offesnse 491/505
    Rushes (attempts-yards-td) 18-109-1/32-207-1
    Passes (comp-attempts-td) 15-37-3/19-30-4
    Passing Yards 382/298
    3rd Down % 20%/45%
    4th Down % 100%(1 attempt)/ 0%
    Turnovers 5/1
    Interceptions 5/1

3. Tiger171

Tiger171 ONE FULL SEASON WITH NO TF's!! VICTORYYYY!!

Sounds like one helluva game...tough loss coach...but sounds like you're building a very solid program.

4. trustandfall

trustandfall Walk On

Throughout the course of their Cindarella season, SMU has been tested time in and time out. Their yearly rivalry with Rice this Saturday was no exception.

After a first quarter in rainy conditions that saw neither team put any points on the board, a visibly concerned Coach Brown was seen stalking the sidelines, trying to pump up his players and get them back into the game.

"Yeah, I don't know if it was because of the weather or just how hard Rice played today, but we really seemed to be lackluster in the first quarter." Coach Brown said.

Even the 2nd quarter was relatively slow for the high scoring Mustangs, as they barely managed to put 14 points on the board. Rice wasn't too far behind with 7 as the teams trotted off the field for half time.

Kyle Padron, the NCAA passing yards leader sophomore standout quarterback for the Mustangs came alive in the third and 4th quarter though, throwing for a total of more than 350 yards in the game, with 3 touchdowns. He continued struggling with interceptions though, throwing 3 of them, keeping rice in the game until a brutal collision resulted in a Rice safety. SMU never looked back after taking that 16-7 lead and really started to pour it on, crushing in-state rival Rice by a total of 43-14. Next week SMU takes on a talented Tulsa team.

5. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

On Saturday the city of Jonesboro was filled with excitement as the Louisville Cardinals came to town to take on the Red Wolves. The Red Wolves came into the game riding a 3 game winning streak took the field and put 7 on the board within the first few minutes of the game. The game then turned into a defensive struggle as Louisville mounted a comeback and took advantage of the numerous turnovers commited by the Red Wolves.

Early into the 2nd quarter the starting qb for the Red Wolves was sidelined for the remainder of the game due to injury. The Red Wolves held on tight to a 14-10 lead going into the 4th quarter. Lead by the rushing attack the Red Wolves took the lead to 11 with 2 minutes left in the fourth quarter. The Cardinals ran an outstanding 2 minute drill and put 8 points on the board. Now with under 50 seconds remaining in the game Louisville trailing only by a field goal, attempted an onside kick. The onside was unsuccesfull and the Red Wolves escape with a victory 21-18. The Red Wolves improve to 4-1 on the year and 3-0 in Sun Belt Conference play.

Pictures for this game will come later.

6. dubb40

dubb40 Sideline Football, We Rock!

La Tech vs. Hawaii

Honolulu

The Bulldogs dream of a perfect season is over.

The Rainbow Warriors came out 31-28 winners of a pure slugfest.

The Warriors went up 10-0 early and looked like they would blow th Dogs out early, but a Tyrone Duplessis TD to close the 1st out pulled the Dogs in striking distance. The Bulldogs went up by 4 with 4:14 left but couldn't stop Hawaii as they moved down the field and scored a TD with 1:37 left. The Bulldogs moved into FG range, but Colby Cameron was sacked to move them out late and they lost the game.

"Very bitter taste, we had the game but made too many mistakes" Coach Darren Douglas said after the game.

7. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Damn thats a tough loss, your team will climb back, im still trying to recover from my week 1 thrashing by Auburn

8. Tiger171

Tiger171 ONE FULL SEASON WITH NO TF's!! VICTORYYYY!!

Week 5:Ohio Bobcats @ Eastern Michigan Eagles

Ohio Bobcats 34
    Eastern Michigan 9
    F

The Ohio Bobcats traveled to Ypsilanti, MI this Saturday to take on the Eastern Michigan Eagles. The Bobcat offense struggled all day with turnovers (3 Fumbles Lost, 2 Ints) and putting the defense's back up against the wall for much of the game. Thankfully the Bobcat defense was up to the challenge time and time again. HB Joey Inks coughed up the rock 2 times in the 1st half, one of which led to the Eagles scoring on a 33yd TD strike from Shelby to Thomas. QB Boo Jackson continued to struggle with interceptions throwing 3. The Bobcat defense played an exceptional game letting the Eagles only get into the end zone once and holding them to a FG after the Eagles drove down to the 13 yard line. Bobcat WR Brazill continued to dazzle in the passing game, clocking in for 12 receptions with 179 yards and the weekly trip to pay dirt.

Offensive Standouts:

Ohio Bobcats
    QB Boo Jackson
    24/37 303yds 3TD 3INT

HB Joey Inks
    13 carries 133yds

WR Lavon Brazill
    12rec 179yds 1TD

WR Steven Goulet
    4rec 42yds 1TD

Eastern Michigan Eagles

QB/WR Julius Shelby
    6/18 112yds 1TD 2INT

HB Dwayne Priest
    20 carries 67yds

WR Kinsman Thomas
    1rec 33yds 1TD

Defensive Standouts:

MLB Noah Keller
    7Tkls

LE Dak Notestine
    4Tkls 3.0 Sacks

CB Shannon Ballard
    1Tkl 2INT

Eastern Michigan Eagles

CB JaRon Gillespie
    7Tkls 2 Forced Fumbles

SS Ryan Downard
    2Tkls 1INT

CB Arrington Hicks
    5Tkls 1 Forced Fumbles

Our reporters caught up with Bobcat Head Coach Robbie Garrison after the game as he was walking off the field giving QB Boo Jackson an earful and this is what the 1st year Head Coach had to say follwing the victory:

"Well, We won today but it wasn't for the lack of trying to give the game awat it seems. We HAVE got to do a better job of taking care of the pigskin and that's the point I was trying to get across to Boo a second ago. It's not all his fault our RB put the ball on the turf a couple of times as well. We're lucky to walk out of here with the W today. turning the ball over 5 times is just not acceptable to me and it shouldn't be acceptable to these guys either. I mean after one of Boo's interceptions he was laughing as he was coming off the field. So, we'll see how much he has to laugh about this week in practice. We're getting to the meat of the MAC schedule now and the other teams are gonna be gunning for us since we are in 1st place so we have to ready and that's my job to get them ready!"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. trustandfall

trustandfall Walk On

Brutal loss.. I feel for you man. How many undefeated's are left anyhow? 2? SMU and Memphis? CUSA title game could be huge.....