Week 5: Steelers (17) vs. Bucs (31)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Week 5: Steelers (17) vs. Bucs (31)

Buccaneers Pillage Steelers in Tampa

by Antoine Buckman
    Blogger, Tampa Tribune

In a matchup of the OMFL Bowl Champion owner Coach Jeremy versus Tampa Bay Buccaneers Coach Winuvas, this round went to the upstart. The Buccaneers shocked the heavily favored Steelers 31-17 in Raymond James Stadium this Sunday afternoon.

The game started with an exchange of possessions on both sides. Tampa Bay then began an 18 play, 6 minute time killer of a drive that ended early in the second quarter with a 1 yard touchdown plowthrough by Darren McFadden to make the score 7-0.

After a fumble recovery of Steelers quarterback Kerry Collins by Mathias Kiwanuka, the Bucs squandered a golden opportunity to go up by two touchdowns, instead settling on a Mike Nugent 22 yard field goal to take a 10-0 lead. Pittsburgh quickly made their way down the field, utilizing wide receivers Santonio Holmes and Shaun McDonald to get into Jeff Reed field goal range to get the score to 10-3.

A late two minute drive by Tampa Bay culminated with a beautiful 32 yard touchdown pass from Josh Freeman to reserve tight end Bear Pascoe, who broke a tackle and lumbered the remainder of the way to give the Bucs a 17-3 lead going into halftime.

The third quarter would see Tampa Bay open with the football, and drive down the field again on the arm of Josh Freeman, this time striking Laverneus Coles on a crossing route for a 36 yard touchdown score. Pittsburgh would quickly come back down on a quick drive that ended with a Willie Parker touchdown run through the middle of the Tampa Bay defense.

The Buccaneers never lost their composure though, even when Josh Freeman threw an ill-advised pass that was picked off by rookie cornerback Juran Riley for Pittsburgh. They used that interception to get within two scores of Tampa at 31-17. However, that would be as close as they would get when a fumble on a third down completion by Pittsburgh was fumbled into the hands of cornerback Andre Goodman.

Josh Freeman did not have a stellar day, but was effective when it counted, going 14 of 25 for 229 yards and 2 touchdowns to go with 1 interception against a very aggressive Pittsburgh defense. The running game did not fare much better, with Darren McFadden getting 84 yards on 23 carries but also netting two touchdowns on the ground. The big surprise in the receiving game was tight end Bear Pascoe, who netted 4 catches for 57 yards and a touchdown as the checkdown route for Freeman on Steeler blitzes. On defense, linebacker Barrett Ruud was all over the field, registering 5 tackles on the day. Four players got sacks on Pittsburgh quarterback Kerry Collins off the Buccaneers defense.

On the Steelers sideline, Kerry Collins was solid, completing 20 of 30 passes for 272 yards and a touchdown. His issue, however, was fumbles, as he fumbled twice, losing one to Mathias Kiwanuka which set up the only Nugent field goal for Tampa Bay. The running game was non-existent in this game for Pittsburgh due to the immense difference in time of possession, with Larry Johnson getting only 23 yards on a mere 6 carries. Willie Parker also had 19 yards on only 4 attempts.

Santonio Holmes, however, had a great game, getting 7 receptions for 80 yards and a great circus catch touchdown which bounced off two players. Left tackle Max Starks allowed 3 sacks from his position, which did not help Kerry Collins at all. Linebacker James Farrior had 5 tackles in a losing effort for the Steeler defense.

The big keys for Tampa Bay were their third down conversions and time of possession, which is starting to become Coach Winuvas' calling card on offense. The Bucs went 8 of 12 on third down conversions (Pittsburgh, consequently, went 2-7) and had the ball for 19:34 (Pittsburgh had it for 12:26). These two keys, along with winning the turnover battle, made the difference.

"I respect Coach Jeremy a helluva lot. He'll get that Steelers team on track and be a force in the AFC playoff picture," Coach Winuvas commented in his post game conference. "We just had a good gameplan going into the game, and we stuck to it. Play solid defense, get to 20 points, and we win. That's our creed, and it worked again today."

Coach Winuvas may not win pretty, but at this point he's over .500 and leading the NFC South. I know it's early, but is it too early to think....playoffs?

Keep up with all your Bucs coverage on the franchise website:
    www.traditionfootball.com

2. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

.............Dont know what to say but you played a great game Winuvas. Steelers back to the drawing board for the second straight week.

3. Big D

Big D Walk On

This game has huge implications for both the AFC and NFC playoff hunts. . .wowza.

4. Jeremy

Yup...Dunno why but I felt much more confident playing with Vikes last year. huge uphill climb. going to have to win my division,period.

5. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

You have a stout run defense in Pittsburgh. I feel like my run game is my bread and butter, and you held it in check. I just made some key reads on third down.

If you want, I can give you some pointers on the defensive side if you don't mind. I like to think my defense is one of the better ones in the OMFL (though it may not be true lol). For offense you'll have to find someone else. I'm still learning on my end as well.

6. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Wow. Now that your leading your division, their will be no more "down in the dumps" posts, right? Even though I think you post like that to not be cocky, lol

7. Jeremy

I am still in limbo with defensive strategy. I fielded one of the best defensive squads last year with less talent than these Steelers BUT the talent is in different areas. I will get this thing right. Another problem is I am not nearly having the same practice time as i did a few months ago. I was unbelievably lucky to fit this game into my work schedule. nate helped me out with a win over my division leader so Im down but definitely not out.

As a famous man once said, "I aint heard no bell.Get up and fight." or something of that nature.

8. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Sal,

To be fair I'm still 7-13 in my time in the OMFL with the Chiefs and Bucs. So while I am leading the division at the moment (by alphabetical mascot listings only), the Saints are still the better coached team of the two of us. The Falcons I am not sure about as they are under new ownership, but any new owner worries me. Especially when I play them next week.

I still have a long way to go to prove myself in the league. I just have to keep getting better every week.

9. mustang20241

mustang20241 Walk On

Awesome win for you winuvas. Maybe your best since we began. Looks like your making good progression.

Jeremy, to denounce the your ex-vikings defense is ridiculous. Champ Bailey, Atogwe, Winfield, Ray Lewis and company were an elite group. Steelers D is good but at the skill positions you were very good. I'm sure you will get it together as we meet up soon! As you will notice the AFC is the more dominant conference!!!! haha