Week 5

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by lilmaggie, Sep 26, 2009.

1. lilmaggie

lilmaggie Rocky Top Tennessee

Week 5

WEEK 5

CPU GAMES

Virginia Tech @ Louisville
    Mississippi State 36 @ LSU 69
    Marshall 28@ Ole Miss 31
    Miami University 7 @ Tennessee 55
    Clemson 70 @ Wake Forest 14
    UNLV 7@ MIami 49
    Arkansas 28 @ Georgia 56
    Maryland 52@ Virginia 26

USER GAMES

Florida 30 @ Alabama 21
    North Carolina 37 @ Florida State 31

2. Beazus Christ

Beazus Christ Resident Smut Peddler

GAME OF THE WEEK

#1 FLORIDA (4-0)

[​IMG]

VS

#10 ALABAMA (3-1)

[​IMG]

PREVIEW

As we move into the second month of the college football season, the nation will bare witness to a battle for SEC supremacy. The number one ranked team in the country, the Florida Gators, heads west to Tuscaloosa for a game against the Alabama Crimson Tide. Florida is a confident team and rightfully so. The top ranked Gators (4-0) have already beaten quality teams like Oregon and Tennessee. Alabama is ranked #10 in the nation, but nevertheless feels like it has something to prove. Alabama (3-1) is playing its first home game of the season and the Alabama players will surely feed off the energy of the crowd, but will it be enough? Lets check the tale of the tape:

TALE OF THE TAPE

Florida Rush Offense Vs Alabama Rush Defense

As mentioned in an earlier publication, Florida has one of the best offensive lines in the history of college football. Led by the Pouncey twins, Florida should be able to bully any defensive line they come across. SHOULD. For reasons this writer cannot pinpoint, the Florida running game has been remarkably average over its first 4 games. HB Jeffrey Demps currently owns a 3.6 yards per rush average. Look for Demps, who possesses track star speed, to bounce outside in anticipation of breaking a long run. This is probably a good thing for Florida because Alabama is stout up the middle. DTs Josh Chapman and Kerry Murphy are both NFL prospects who possess an ideal blend of speed and power. The MLB, Rolando McClain, is an extremely fast specimen who floats from sideline to sideline like Derrick Brooks. In the end, this battle comes down to who controls the outside. Even if the DEs fail to contain Florida, look for the fast LB core of Alabama to frustrate Jeffrey Demps and company.

ADVANTAGE: ALABAMA

Florida Pass Offense Vs Alabama Pass Defense

Florida QB John Brantley is off to a fast start this year. To date, the Junior QB has been the very definition of productive, averaging 259 yards per game with an impressive 9/2 ratio. His main target, WR Deonte Thompson, has also prospered in the absence of Tim Tebow (24 receptions/ 259 yards/ 2 TDs). On the other side of the ball, Alabama has the makings of a solid defensive secondary. Bama’s strength lies in its depth. Redshirt Freshman Dre Kilpatrick, the nickel back, is a star in the making (2 interceptions). Having said this, Florida also has an embarrassment of riches in its receiving core. Deonte Thompson, Aaron Hernandez, TJ Lawrence, Omarius Hines, and Jeffrey Demps are all legitimate threats to score every time they step on the field. Kilpatrick and the starting CBs can cover three of these targets, but can the safties pick up the pieces? Im guessing not.

ADVANTAGE: FLORIDA

Alabama Rush Offense Vs Florida Rush Defense

The Tide are anchored by an experienced offensive line with 3 seniors and 2 juniors. The Tide offensive line, ranked a notch or two below Florida’s, does a solid job of opening holes for RB Mark Ingram. Ingram, who has 6 rushing TDs (#3 NCAA), has excellent speed and a nose for the endzone. On the defensive side, Florida has a talented and deep defensive line led by DE Justin Trattou (5 sacks). Unfortunately for the Gators, All American DT Justin Marsh is off to a slow start (7 tackles, 1 sack). Like Alabama’s LBs, Florida’s unit possesses a lot of speed and can contain the outside runs. Look for DT Justin Marsh to step up his efforts and put together a quality game. Despite the talent of Florida, this writer has too much respect for the Tide ground game to give Florida the outright edge.

ADVANTAGE: PUSH

Alabama Pass Offense Vs Florida Pass Defense

Junior Julio Jones may be the best WR in college football. Certainly, no one can argue with the statistics. Through 4 games, he has averaged 146 yards per game and has scored 6 touchdowns (both #2 NCAA). Senior QB Greg McElroy is #5 in the NCAA in passing yards per game (330) but has been inconsistent (9 interceptions). Unfortunately for Alabama, Florida’s secondary feasts off inconsistency. With 3 All-Americans, Florida can solidly lay claim to the unit in the country. Look for CB Joe Haden (2 defensive TDs) and company to bait McElroy into throwing multiple interceptions.

ADVANTAGE: FLORIDA

OUTLOOK:

Make no mistake about it, Alabama is a very good team. This team will be energized and eager to face the Gators in front of the home crowd. Despite this, I just don’t see Alabama pulling off the upset. A long time ago, a fellow sports writer stated the obvious when he said “don’t bet against the National Champions, especially when they are more talented than the other team.” I’ll follow this wisdom and pick Florida.

3. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

UNC Physically Beats Up FSU, Then Survives Scare At The End

[​IMG]

North Carolina and FSU had a well played and hard fought game tonight. It started out close as both teams went back and forth in the first half and went into half time all knotted up at 17-17. In the 3rd quarter UNC seized control as they outscored the Seminoles, 10-0. UNC would strike first in the 4th thanks to a 68 yard TD run by HB Shaun Draughn to put UNC up by 17. FSU would march down the field and would score again on a 7 yard pass from Manuel to Easterling to pull to within 10.

UNC would play it conservative then entire 4th quarter as they ground out the clock with their power running game. They scored a FG to put them up by 13 with 1:03 remaining. On the ensuing drive, UNC somehow let someone get deep on their quarters defense and this would ultimately result in an FSU TD with 9 seconds remaining to pull FSU to within 6. FSU would recover the onside kick, but, after having to burn all 3 TOs on UNCs previous drive, 9 seconds was not enough time to score again.

This game was determined by 2 things; 1. the war in the trenches, and 2. big plays. Both of UNC's lines dominated the game. UNC's defense would sack Manuel 5 times and UNC's ACC leading rushing defense would hold the Seminoles to only 24 rushing yards on 19 carries. On the other side of the ball, UNC's offensive line would dominate as they would open holes in the FSU defense all game long. This allowed UNC to rush for 289 yards on 37 carries. It also allowed UNC to only have to pass the ball 9 times during the game and only have to punt once. UNC would also get some key big plays as 3 of their 4 TDs were for 50+ yards.

Here is the kind of power football that UNC used to win this tightly contested game. Watch as 206 lb HB Shaun Draughn just out muscles 242 lb DE Jamar Jackson and 188 lb CB Ochucko Jenije at the same time:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AmX1sTDJggk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AmX1sTDJggk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Box Score
    Team 1st 2nd 3rd 4th Final
    UNC 10 7 10 10 37
    FSU 7 10 0 14 31

Game Statistics
    Stat UNC FSU
    Score 37 31
    First Downs 13 19
    Total Offense 445 394
    Rushes-Yards-TDs 37-289-2 19-24-1
    Comp-Att-TD 8-9-2 24-33-3
    Passing Yards 156 370
    3rd Down Conv 5-9(55%) 4-8(50%)
    Turnovers 0 1
    T.O.P. 16:27 11:33

Players of the Game
    FSU - E. Manuel, 24/33, 370 yards, 3 TD
    UNC - S. Draughn, 18 car, 225 yards, 2 TD

4. killajo90405

killajo90405 Walk On

"Senior QB Greg McElroy is #5 in the NCAA in passing yards per game (330) but has been inconsistent (9 interceptions). Unfortunately for Alabama, Florida’s secondary feasts off inconsistency. With 3 All-Americans, Florida can solidly lay claim to the unit in the country. Look for CB Joe Haden (2 defensive TDs) and company to bait McElroy into throwing multiple interceptions." Beazus-

You hit the nail on the head with the game outlook. I threw 3 INT's including a pick 6 in each half, the last one to seal the game when I had a chance to win it. I sacked his QB 5 times and Ingram ran for 125 with 2 TDs, but Shem held Jones to 28yds and got 14pts of INTs.

I guess I should just run it every time....
    Great Job from Sherm mixing up the D-

5. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Gators Squeak Out a Win at Bama!

The Gators had their hands full in this one at Alabama Saturday. Florida was ahead by 2 late in the 4th quarter with Alabama driving inside of field goal range. With :30 left on the clock, Bama's McElroy dropped back looking to find Superstar HB Mark Ingram in the flats but All American Joe Haden read and diagnosed the play. He jumped the route and pick sixed the nail in the coffin to send Bama home losers and keep the Gator winning streak alive.

The Bama offense was nearly unstoppable on the ground as Ingram racked up 123 yds on 25 carries along with 2 TDs. Thankfully the Gator defense was able to force McElroy into some tough situations. Then they would continue their ball hawking ways intercepting McElroy 3 times, 2 returned for TDs.

"I'm really hating myself right now" said McElroy after the game when asked about that last pass. "The DBs at UF are sick!"

Coach KSherm had this to say "We knew we had to take away Julio Jones and we did that successfully. Joe Haden played phenomenal to matchup with that guy." Julio only caught 3 balls for 28 yds.

"They really put us to the test today. They dominated us defensively. To force 3 turnovers and win by that small of a margin isn't something we're used to. This was the first week we truly missed 15's running game. Great game Killajo! I think I'm going to have to come up with a better gameplan because I think it's likely I'll be seeing you again in Atlanta." -Coach KSherm

Notable Stats:
    POG: Bama Ingram 25 car 123 yds 2 TDs, rec 10 yds
    UF J. Haden Tkl, INT, TD

Bama outgained UF 321 - 234
    UF netted 16 yds rushing to Bama's 115
    UF forced Bama into 3 turnovers. UF didn't turn the ball over.

6. killajo90405

killajo90405 Walk On

7. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I agree, that prediction couldn't have been more accurate. I don't think either of us could have foreseen how dominant your ground game would be versus my defense though.

Great game, that was one for the ages.

8. txshrns

txshrns Guest

Tenn- 55
    Miami U - 7

Tenn. rebounded from two straight losses to throttle Miami U. The Vol offense was unstoppable racking up over 700 yds from scrimmage. Coleman was 21-28 for 478 yds and six tds. Bryce Brown pounded out 100 yds on the ground.

9. lilmaggie

lilmaggie Rocky Top Tennessee

Week 5

I'll get my game in sometime today, hopefully so will LSU, then we will advance.

10. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I'll take some notes on week 6 when I get home for a write up. I was out of town all weekend.

11. bfruchey

bfruchey Walk On

I'll play my game as soon as I get home from work. I'll probably skip this weeks power poll because it won't mean anything. Very busy weekend.