Week 6: Bears (34) vs. Falcons (38)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Oct 8, 2009
    Week 6: Bears (34) vs. Falcons (38)

Falcons win on wing and a prayer

by Jorge DeSantos
    Blogger, Atlanta Journal-Constitution

*NOTE: Article is written with information from Falcons coach with his permission.*

Word of note to Falcons fans: there are defibrillators located throughout the Georgia Dome. You probably need them after today's game.

The Falcons pulled off a miraculous win, 38-34 in front of a standing room only crowd at the Georgia Dome against the Chicago Bears. This game had it all: field goals, turnovers on both sides, high octane offense late, and good defense early. Anything you like about football, you found at this game.

All the major scoring was done in the second and fourth quarters. Chicago managed a late first quarter field goal by Robbie Gould to go up 3-0. The Falcons then maneuvered down the field to get into position for a Jason Elam 37 yard field goal to tie the game up at 3. Then, the offenses woke up a bit.

A key interception by Atlanta cornerback Chevis Jackson got Atlanta into position to get a drive going for a touchdown, with the capper being a 4 yard pass from Matt Ryan to Michael Jenkins.

The Bears, not to be outdone, marched down the field and scored a touchdown of their own on a 44 yard pass from Jay Cutler to Garrett Wolfe. A costly kickoff return fumble by Atlanta running back Jerrious Norwood gave he Bears more life, and a late Matt Forte run for a touchdown sent the Bears to the half ahead 17-10.

"Our special teams play was awful this game," Coach Wajy was quoted as saying during the post game conference. "We will have to re-evaluate some personnel and get people who can make plays on the field in all areas, including special teams."

The third quarter saw little action, with Chicago getting another Robbie Gould field goal to go up 20-10. Then, the fourth quarter saw the Bears score again to take a commanding 27-10 lead.

Someone then finally informed the Atlanta Falcons offense that there was a game going on and that they were losing in the fourth quarter, and Matt Ryan went to work. He ended the day with 387 yards passing on 23-36 with 3 touchdowns and 2 interceptions. With no running help to speak of (Matt Ryan was the teams leading rusher with 13 yards), Ryan had to take his team down the field time and again. With a 16 yard strike to Marty Booker with 5 minutes left, the score was 27-17. Atlanta's defense let the team down, however, allowing a touchdown run by Matt Forte to get back again by three scores at 34-17. But there was no give in the Falcons offense. They seem determined to pull the victory out.

A 2 yard run by Michael Turner (his longest gain of the day) got the team within 10 with four minutes to play. A three and out and another touchdown drive by Ryan and the Falcons got the team to 34-31 with 1:32 left. Then strangeness happened. Atlanta had only one timeout left. Chicago was stuffed on 1st and second down, forcing the Falcons to use their final timeout. On 3rd down, the Bears ran the ball instead of kneeling it with 44 seconds left. A holding call then stopped the clock, and Chicago, not getting the first down, was forced to punt to a very hot Matt Ryan. And Ryan made them pay, with a little help from Roddy White.

With no time left on the clock, Ryan threw a desperation pass to Roddy White. White had three defenders on him. White caught the ball. White broke one of the defenders' tackles. And proceeded to take it to the house. Ball game. 38-34. White had 3 catches for 114 yards, but none were bigger than that one catch.

Michael Turner, while not running well, had a good game catching the ball, with 8 receptions for 137 yards. Tony Gonzalez contributed with 6 catches for 51 yards.

In a losing cause, Jay Cutler, Bears quarterback, threw for 251 yards on 13-25 passing, with 1 touchdown and 1 interception. Halfback Matt Forte ran 20 times for 68 yards and 2 touchdowns. Forte also had 4 catches for 52 yards as well.

Coach Wajy, while happy with a win, was very critical of his team.

"Well, I guess a win is a win right? To be successful in this league, you are going to have to find a way to win games like this. Good teams are going to come together and find ways to win. I'm going to be honest. We played terrible in every facet of the game for 3 quarters. Our defense was not able to make the stops on 3rd downs," Coach Wajy said during the post game interviews. "I want to give a lot of credit to the Bears, they really beat us up all day. We are lucky to be coming out of this game with a win."

Too true, Coach. Too true. I don't have the heart for this type of game.

Keep up with all your Falcons coverage on the franchise website:
  2. wajomatik

wajomatik Magister De Puer De Vacca

Oct 8, 2009
    GG chrisdstan that game was yours. Excellent job Winuvas hopefully I can get this teams D together in time for the Cowboys
  3. mustang20241

mustang20241 Walk On

Sep 24, 2009
    A lucky catch and TD? Falcons deserved it since they lost to the Pats on a play just like the one described. I've never had one done to me or done it myself, odd circumstances I guess.