Week 6: Chiefs @ Buccaneers

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by JFace907, Oct 8, 2012.

1. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Chiefs Special Teams and Defense The Difference Make Scoring Statement
    Another Gray return and two Flowers pick sixes help the Chiefs in a big road win

CHIEFS 45
    Buccaneers 37

Tampa Bay, FL: The cannons on the pirate ship in Raymond James was going crazy yesterday afternoon, luckily for the Chiefs whenever it did, they had an answer. Josh Freeman was picking apart the Chiefs defense but almost on cue when a stop was an absolute must, Brandon Flowers stepped up with two pick sixes. "I was just reading his eyes, we'd be on our heels as a team but i stayed focused. Two times i was able to read him like a book, stepped up and took my picks to the house. Best feeling in a game," said the corner from Virginia Tech. The Chiefs D was shredded by the QB from K-State as he threw for 403 yards and 4 touchdowns. Rookie running back Doug Martin also rushed for over 100 yards for the Bucs. "It was a poor performance by our defensive. Gotta give the Bucs credit though, the hit us in the mouth out there and we had no response until Brandon (Flowers) bailed us out those two times," said Chiefs Head Coach JFace907.

On the offensive side of the ball, the Chiefs continued their efficient trend not turning the ball over once. That's the second straight game Matt Cassel has avoided turning it over after throwing 4 INTs against the Chargers in Week 4. "Obviously holding onto the ball helps you win ball games. Matt's done a great job of that and if he keeps it up, we will keep winning," said JFace. Cassel would have quite the odd ball distribution hitting Kevin Boss 5 times (124 yards), but then 6 other players a single time each. In total he was 11 for 15 for 279 yards, 3 touchdowns and a near perfect 154.8 QB Rating. "I just stayed within myself. Didn't force or push things. I know when i do that i put us in a bad spot," said Cassel. The Chiefs go into the bye with a 4-2 record and will prepare for back to back divisional games when the Raiders come into Arrowhead on Week 8 and then a trip to San Diego to take on the Chargers in Week 9.

Great game BirdDog1980

• Like Like x 1
  2. BirdDog1980

BirdDog1980 Walk On

This was a crazy game, full of big plays. On the 3rd play of the game, Freeman hit Vincent Jackson on an in-&-out route for an 80 yd TD. On the insuing kickoff, the Chiefs returned it 103 yds for a TD. 1:30 into the game and it's 7-7. On the very next series, I hit Jackson again for about 35 yds.. this time however, he gets injured on the play. Bruised shoulder.. out for game. Then came the back to back Pick 6s.. that absolutely killed me. I don't think the Chiefs offense took the field till about 2 minutes to go in the 1st lol.

From then on, it was back and forth. The Bucs finally started to chip away at the lead at the end of the first half and into the 3rd qtr. A nice, calm, methodical 2:00 drive just before the half got Tampa back into it, even though they had to settle for 3 points.

Both defenses started to settle down and make some stops. Tampa continued to chip away at the lead but they just could not stop Cassel in this game. Fast forward to the 4th. Tampa down by 15, they get an early 4th qtr score to make it an 8 point game. They needed a big stop. But Cassel would lead KC on a long time consuming drive. Tampa tightened their defense up in the redzone and forced a 3rd and Goal from just inside the 10. But Cassel came up clutch again and hit a TD pass just over the middle and out of the reach of Tampa MLB Adam Hayward. Hayward was clearly dejected after the play. He saw the play all the way.. knew who and where it was going.. but he just couldnt get there in time. KC takes the 15 point lead back 45-30 with just over 3:00 to play.

Freeman and the Bucs would'nt go without a fight however. Freeman led another calm methodical drive down the field.. even mixing in a few draws and screens still, even though they were down 2 scores. They would get into the endzone again with about 1:30 to play in the game and still had all 3 timeouts. They still had a chance. It was decision time. Kick it deep and hope for a 3 & out, or try the onside kick. Berding opted for the onside kick and the Bucs would recover it after it took a bad bounce off of one of the Chiefs' foot. Freeman would string together a couple of passes and get the Bucs across midfield. With 2nd down and 10 w/ :30, Freeman found a WIDE OPEN Doug Martin about 35 yds downfield.. I mean no one was within 15 yds of him.. it was a sure TD.. but he dropped the ball. Hit him square in his hands and fell straight to the ground. Coach Berding couldn't believe it. 3rd down was incomplete, so the game rested on a 4th and 10 with :20 seconds to go. Freeman spotted Mike Williams on a deep in route with a step on the defender... Freeman turned it loose.. the KC CB made a dive for it and disrupted Willams just enough to lose concentration and he also dropped it. The undefeated streak was over and Tampa would fall to 4-1.

Turnovers and drops killed me in this one, and the Tampa defense wasn't all that great either. This was a great game to play and it came down to the final series. Well played JFace907 and good luck the rest of the way.