Week 6 TB (31) @ Atlanta (34)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by BigSmooth33, Feb 27, 2010.

1. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Week 6 TB (31) @ Atlanta (34)

Geared up for the OMFL premiere, I had the boys ready to play today.

Atlanta 34 Tampa Bay 31

Key Players
    Atlanta
    Matt Ryan 16-21 288 1 TD 2 INT
    Michael Jenkins 5 for 109 - had a David Tyree type snag that kept the game alive for me with 0:30 to play and down 4.
    Roddy White 4 for 123 1 TD (92 yards off playaction in 3rd qtr)
    Tye Hill - Player of the game 5 KR for 272 yards 1 TD

Tampa Bay
    Josh Freeman 17-27 267 3 TD 1 INT
    Aqib Talib 3 solo tackles, 2 assists, 2 INT
    Glenn Pakulak 3 punts, all inside the 20, 43.3 net avg

Special teams and a miracle comeback orchestrated by Matt Ryan and helped by Jenkins Tyree impression helped me capture my first OMFL win.

Great game Win and I must say, it's nice being able to play sim Madden somewhere.

Thanks for allowing me to join the league. Hope I bring a little something different to the table.

2. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Bucs' mistakes cost them first place

by Antoine Buckman
    Blogger, Tampa Tribune

In a battle in Atlanta this Sunday, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' youth and lack of experience on the winning side of games was beaten by an Atlanta team that knew how to win more. The Falcons had a late miraculous drive and overcame the Bucs' youth 34-31 in what could honestly be the best game of the OMFL season to date.

The scoring started on a Darren McFadden 3 yard run in the first quarter to take the lead at 7-0. Then the first special teams mistake for Tampa Bay occured, as poor kickoff coverage allowed Tye Hill to run it back 98 yards to tie the game at 7-7. A late, long field goal of 54 yards by Jason Elam ended the first quarter at 10-7.

"I honestly didn't think (Falcon kicker) Jason (Elam) had that kind of leg anymore. Shocked the hell outta me," Coach Winuvas commented during his post game conference.

The second quarter saw Tampa Bay move the ball well in the passing game, with Josh Freeman hitting Antonio Bryant on a 16 yard touchdown pass to give the Bucs a 14-10 lead. As the defenses began to slow down the attacks of the offenses, the scoring slowed, with late field goals by Jason Elam and Mike Nugent being the only scoring remaining to take the game to halftime with the Buccaneers leading at 17-13.

The opening kickoff of the second half saw another huge special teams error by Tampa Bay as Tye Hill got all the way down to the 2 yard line before being leg tackled by backup safety Sabby Piscitelli. One play later saw Falcons halfback Michael Turner rumble through the hole for a touchdown and a Falcons lead at 20-17.

Another big play for the Falcons came midway in the third quarter as Roddy White beat Buccaneers cornerback Aqib Talib in man coverage for a 92 yard strike from Matt Ryan to put the Falcons ahead 27-17. Josh Freeman led the Buccaneers back, however, with a beautiful catch and run by Sammy Stroughter for 53 yards and a touchdown to get the game at 27-24.

The fourth quarter saw little offensive excitement, but it all happened late, which is the most exciting thing in professional football. A drive by Atlanta with less than three minutes to go in the game was stymied for points when Matt Ryan threw a pick at the two yard line to Aqib Talib, who returned it to the 35 yard line of Tampa Bay. Josh Freeman then led the Bucs down the field with a crisp, quick-strike passing attack that led to a Chris Cooley touchdown with only 37 seconds left on the clock. Unfortunately, that was 10 seconds too many, as Matt Ryan completed a miracle pass to Michael Jenkins for 60 yards. Then, with all his receivers covered and seconds left on the clock, Ryan ran 5 yards for the go ahead touchdown and the win, 34-31.

"Special teams....special teams....what the *expletive* are we DOING out there???? What kind of *expletive* horse*expletive* is THAT? Who the *expletive* CLAIMS to be coaching these guys? The bye week will see some changes in that side of the coaching staff. PERIOD," Coach Winuvas fumed after the game.

For Tampa Bay, Josh Freeman's last game as a starting quarterback (according to what we've heard from Coach Winuvas) was not bad. He went 17 of 27 for 267 yards and 3 touchdowns to go with 1 interception, which was the first pass play of the game. Of course, after the game, the coach was asked why he didn't put newly acquired quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in the game late.

"Ben (Roethlisberger) knows this, and Josh (Freeman) knows this: Ben wasn't ready to go this week. He's been in our system for less than a week. He didn't have our terminology down yet. He's assimilated about 10% of the playbook, which is a credit to him as a professional that in less than a week he's got that much. I told you (the media) Ben was number two on our depth chart this week. Unless Josh got hurt, or just was completely ineffective, he wasn't getting benched. PERIOD. Josh Freeman didn't cost us this *expletive* football game, folks. Defense and special teams did. Next *expletive* question."

On the running side, an effective interior run defense by Atlanta forced more of a passing attack by Tampa Bay. Darren McFadden ran 13 times for 53 yards and a touchdown, and Rashard Mendenhall got 5 carries for 26 yards. On the receiving side, tight end Chris Cooley caught 5 passes for 72 yards and a score, and backup wide receiver Sammy Stroughter showed some wheels and skills after Eddie Royal limped out in the second quarter with a lower ankle sprain that he could not play through. Stroughter caught 3 passes for 93 yards, including a 53 yard touchdown that got the game within 3 in the third quarter.

"Sammy (Stroughter) stepped in when Eddie (Royal) got hurt and played great. Awesome effort there," Coach Winuvas said.

The defense, in their first game without defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka, struggled to find their footing with new starter Trevor Scott. Scott did get a forced fumble and a tackle in this game. The star though, was Aqib Talib, who got 2 picks of Matt Ryan, including one to give the Bucs a chance to win the game.

"Talib got burned, and then he burned them. A wash, in my book," Coach Winuvas commented.

For Atlanta, Matt Ryan was crisp, going 16 of 21 for 288 yards and a touchdown to go with 2 interceptions. The offense remained pretty balanced throughout, with Michael Turner getting 16 of the 20 total carries for Atlanta for 67 yards. Roddy White and Michael Jenkins were the stars on the receiving end. White caught 4 passes for 123 yards and a touchdown, and Jenkins caught 5 passes, including the miracle one late, for 109 yards.

"Great plays overall," Coach Winuvas said when asked about their performances.

On the defensive side, John Abraham was a beast, getting 2 sacks of Josh Freeman and 3 tackles overall. Rookie Alain Jackson proved his worth as the Falcons' first round selection by getting 4 tackles in the interior.

"Falcons played better than us today. Take away some of our mistakes and I think it's a totally different game. But that is why you play the games. You (the media) give the Falcons this message: it'll be a whole different game in Tampa later on this season," Coach Winuvas promised at the end of his press conference.

Going into the bye week at .500 is as good a result as could be realistically expected, given the team's 4-12 start last year. With a bye week to integrate new quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and a week to figure out some new schemes on defense, can Tampa Bay realistically keep up in a division with foes like New Orleans, Atlanta, and Carolina? We'll all find out together.

Keep up with all your Bucs coverage on the franchise website:
    www.traditionfootball.com