Week 7 - Lions at BEARS

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by AgenT Smith, Oct 9, 2012.

1. AgenT Smith

AgenT Smith Walk On

Jun 7, 2012
    [​IMG]33 40[​IMG]
    Bears D forces 5 INTs and 2 TDs, survives late comeback
    CHICAGO, IL - The Bears defense forced 5 INTs out of QB Matt Stafford - 2 were returned for TDs by CBs Peanut Tillman and Tim Jennings - en route to a 40-33 W that was closer than it should have been.
    All 5 came in the FIRST HALF, as the DBs made play after play. Tillman alone had 3 of them - two were "Top 10" worthy plays. Tillman had inside position on C. Johnson on a RZ fade, and out-jumped him for one of them; the 3rd coming on a shoestring catch as he turned around on an overthrow just in time to make the play. The 5th came as pressure got through and Stafford threw off his back foot, where nickel back Kelvin Hayden was waiting in a hook zone.
    The INTs caused Lions HC to bench Stafford and insert Hill; Stafford would finish 9/17, 5 INTs, and just 74 yards with a 24.8 QBR.
    On offense, QB Jay Cutler would a TD pass from the 1-yard line to Brandon Marshall, and Matt Forte would also add a 50-yard TD. Forte finished with his biggest game of the season, with 22 carries for 124 yards and a TD. By halftime the Bears were up 34-7, and the game looked over.
    The second half was a different story, though. QB Shaun Hill hit on many big plays; though he only threw for 53%, he finished the day with 300 yards and 3 TDs. This included a 75-yard catch and run by Calvin Johnson. The half was characterized by blown coverages and missed opportunities by the Bears D.
    The Lions would go on to score 26 points in the 2nd half, while the Bears scored only 6 points - possibly playing TOO conservatively. "I think we went out playing not to lose, and that caused us to miss some opportunities" - said HC Smith post-game.
    The defense would come through late in the 4th though, with MLB Brian Urlacher forcing a late sack-fumble that resulted in a FG. The Lions would add a late FG, but the Bears would recover the Onside Kick and kneel for the W.
    BEARS Players of the Game:
    CB Charles Tillman - 4 Tackles, 3 INTs, Defl, 1 TD
    MLB B. Urlacher - 13 tackles, 2 sacks, Forced Fumble
    Tillman on the INT over Calvin Johnson (fade route) - "Man, I told the young guys I still got it...truth be told I was a little nervous though, they don't call him Megatron for nothing."
    BEARS stats:
    QB Jay Cutler - 11/15, 116 yards, TD, 117.6 QBR
    HB Matt Forte - 22 carries, 124 yards, TD, 3 20+ yard runs
    WR Brandon Marshall - 7 catches, 75 yards, TD
    Defense - 6 forced TOs, 2 TDs
    Lions stats:
    QB S. Hill - 14/26, 300 yds, 3 TDs
    HB J. Best - 11 carries, 61 yds (long 41), TD
    WR C. Johnson - 6 catches, 137 yds, 2TD (Long 75)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  2. AgenT Smith

AgenT Smith Walk On

Jun 7, 2012
    GG HarkTheSound . I thought Matt Stafford got hurt, that's why I asked what happened. Almost let you come back, I think I played TOO conservatively on offense and defense and let some big plays through as a result. Good game though, nonetheless.
  3. HarkTheSound

HarkTheSound Walk On

Jun 14, 2011
    Haha yeah this game never should've been close. I didn't deserve to win; I think I had 6 drops or so (4 by Titus Young), Stafford couldn't throw worth a damn after being on fire all season up this point. That INT on the fade was a backbreaker. Underthrown horribly. Then on the next series I tried to lead pass, he overthrew Pettigrew by a mile and it looked like the pass was intended for CJ. It obviously wasn't, Tillman turned around and picked that off too.

Bad things seem to happen to me in rain games, both in Madden and NCAA. Ugh. GG though man.