Week 7: Saints @ Buccs

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by CWT 3000, Oct 9, 2012.

1. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

[​IMG] 42

[​IMG]34

Brees continues to roll and Saints up-end the Buccs for division lead!

AP- Tampa Bay, FL - In what could be called the game of the week, the Saints lived up to Coach Thomas' expectations. But it didn't start that way. The Buccs took the opening possesion and walked down the field for an easy score. Already worried the Saints came out and put together a nice first drive as well to tie the score 7-7 in the early parts of the 1st Quarter. On the ensuing drive Freeman would make a bad read and throw into coverage for a interception. Saints would capitalize and go up 14-7 from there. Scoring happened in a frenzy from this point on in the 1st half. After another interception and a long bomb to Moore from Brees the score at half was 35-17. Brees had an amazing 1st half- at one point he was 16/18 for 223 yards 5TD.

The 2nd half was mostly the Buccs fighting for their lives. The Saints pulled back hoping to run the clock some, but only found themselves trying to make sure they walked away with a win. The Buccs picked Brees off early in the 3Q and turned it into a long scoring drive. By the time the 4Q rolled around Brees and company added one more TD on the ground as P. Thomas pounded one in from 20 yards out. The Buccs ran out of time in the end after a NO punt put them on the 3-yard line with 1 minute left.

GG BirdDog1980

2. BirdDog1980

BirdDog1980 Walk On

Yeah, for the 2nd week in a row, Freeman and the Tampa defense dooms the Bucs. Freeman threw 3 more INTs this week.. all in the first half. I'm starting to realize that he sucks with the deep throws. Not sure what it is really.. his throwing power is 97, but it seems that his deep balls just run out of steam half way down the field, and the Safteys are getting there and making a play on them.

Tampa for the 2nd straight week found themselves down by 15 late in the 4th and was able to get into the endzone. This week however, they would not get the onside kick.. in fact, it was a terrible kick really lol. So the defense was forced to go for a 3 & out. First play was a toss left that Tampa jumped on.. minimal gain. 2nd play was a screen right that Tampa again jumped on it. 3rd & long was a short completion over the middle for about a 6 yd gain. 4th & 4 with just over 1:00 to go, Tampa lined up for the punt return, but played the fake all the way. Saints would call timeout. Not sure if the fake was indeed on, but anyways Saints would place a very nice punt out of bounds at the 3, and Tampa could do nothing with it.. 4 straight incompletions to end the game. For the 2nd week in a row, Mike Williams would drop a critical 4th down pass to end the game.

Someone has to settle Freeman down. Back to back losses for the Bucs following their Bye week and have fallen 1 game back in the NFC South. Suddenly, the big wins over the NFC East seem pretty big right now.

GG CWT 3000 well played.

3. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

Right on man, I was totally thinking punt fake! Had the field position and didn't want to put the ball back in your hands. Had a gut feeling you had it sniffed out though when I lined up. Probably could have been a huge mistake in hindsight. My punting with Moorstead has been awesome, with him putting it inside the 20 all the time... needed to give him a chance to put inside the 5-yard line.

We should have a lot of good battles in the near future. I was worried after your first drive. You pretty much had your way with my defense, then when I got the ball back it took a huge catch near the 3 yard-line by Moore. I thought it was a lucky break for me. I do have to say Moore has been suprisingly good, his spectacular catch rating and CIT are high and he makes so many big catches. It definetly has allowed Moore to sneak up on teams.

I learned from the Chragers game to shut down the run early and score sooner (easier said , than done) to take the run game out of it for my opponent. I knew if i could get Freman to throw it more than you wanted it'd lead to a few mistakes by the young QB. In my opinion the Buccs aren't built to come from behind so taking the run game away from you is what I think was the difference. I know Mofo's are goingt to try and pound it down my throat, that's our weakness. I've been practicing my run defense more than ever.