Week 7 Summary (Central Michigan vs. Cincinnati)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Jbbubba, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Jbbubba

Jbbubba Walk On

Jul 22, 2012
    Well well well...not quite sure where to start. Cincinnati came into the game on the verge of entering the Top 25 with a chance to impress numerous visiting recruits against a supposedly weak Central Michigan team. And, for a while, the game was very close.

The first quarter brought a defensive struggle, with Jordan Luallen throwing an unlucky interception that took a bounce off the hand of a Central Michigan lineman into the hands of a defender. Central Michigan capitalized and got a field goal for their efforts. Central Michigan lead 3-0 at the end of the 1st quarter.

Second quarter brought the first score for the Bearcats off a successful QB sneak to make the score 7-3.
    Both teams held each other to minimal yards on each team's ensuing possessions, with Central Michigan punting and Cincinnati fumbling the ball on a sack deep in their own territory. Central Michigan was held to yet another field goal to make the score 7-6. The Bearcats had played a great first half up until this point considering the turnovers they committed, but after playing aggressive and trying to get another score unsuccessfully before the end of the half, Central Michigan took advantage and took their drive after the three-and-out for a touchdown, putting them up 13-7 at the half and putting them into position to take a commanding lead on the opening possession of the second half.

The third quarter was where the troubles began. Both teams managed to grab passing touchdowns on their next possessions. Central Michigan scored again on their next drive, as Cincinnati couldn't stop their now-potent passing attack. Cincinnati then fumbled the ball near the redzone on a Jordan Luallen scramble (attempted to slide but for whatever reason i got tackled :(). Central Michigan scored yet again, making the score 34-14 at the end of the third quarter, which would stand as the final tally.

I'm not quite sure what happened. Cincinnati had a good running game again, but some really unlucky turnovers cost the Bearcats yet again. Defensively, nothing Cincinnati called could stop the CMU passing attack in the second half. This game was very frusterating and hopefully we can rebound next week against Toledo. It will be interesting to see how the recruiting situation unfolds, as literally 12 of my targets visited today, and this loss will definitely affect their visits. Jordan Luallen is also out for 10 weeks with a torn knee cartillage (I think), which at this point I do not mind as whatever he brings to the Cincinnati offense is not clicking and quite frankly, he is starting to irritate me to high holy heck. To add further insult to injury, Cincinnati had a potential recruit commit to Toledo and two others soft commit to Notre Dame and Ball State. Cincinnati will need to buckle down in order to keep on the road towards the Big East conference championship.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. onaradio34

onaradio34 Tryin not to show how little I know bout anything

Sep 24, 2009
    Solid as always bubba!!!
    • Like Like x 1