Week 8, 2018

Discussion in 'Chompion's League' started by Spayer419, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

North Carolina vs. Wake Forest​
    #1 Notre Dame vs. #23 USC​
    #7 Texas vs. #17 Oklahoma
    #9 Georgia Tech vs. NC State​
    #12 Florida State vs. #21 Washington​
    User Game of the Week: #3 Florida vs. #5 Alabama

2. macc24usc

macc24usc Walk On

Short week lets keep up the pace boys!! Prolly get mine in tonigh or tommorrow afternoon

3. jandy

jandy Walk On

CJTHA1 When works for you? I can't play tonight, but I could play tomorrow morning/afternoon

4. cmassey13

cmassey13 Walk On

[​IMG]
    After Slow Start Texas Pulls Away From OU in Annual Rivalry Game

This year's Red River Rivalry saw both offenses start slow as defense dominated the first quarter. Both teams moved the ball fairly well on their first drives, but stalled out near midfield and were forced to punt. The defenses continued to rule the first quarter, but second quarter saw more action as both offenses made good adjustments and found better execution. Vince Woods started the scoring with a 3-yard scramble for a touchdown with 2:20 left in the second quarter. It wouldn't take the Sooners long to answer though as Eric Woods scored on a 1-yard TD plunge just over a minute later. The Longhorns knew they needed to get some points before the half since OU got the ball to start the second half. They were able to hit a big run and some nice passes to setup a 38-yard scoring catch by Terrence Dorsey with only 27 seconds left in the half.
    In the third quarter, the Longhorns were finally able to get a little breathing room by outscoring the Sooners 21-7, including another Dorsey scoring catch and Woods TD run. The Sooners wouldn't quit though as they drove for another touchdown midway through the fourth quarter when Brent Price found John Calhoun for a 4-yard scoring pass. This made it a 14-point game with 3:40 left to play, and the Sooners setup for an onside kick. The Longhorns were able to recover the kick and run some clock before adding a FG from Garry Wyatt. The Sooners were then forced to take chances throwing down the field against max coverage and Price was picked off. The scoring would be finished off when Texas' backup QB broke two tackles and rumbled for a 46-yard touchdown as the Texas coaches were just hoping to pick up a first down to run out the remaining time. "He should have slid once he had the first down, but when you're a backup and have a chance to break a big run for a score it's hard to not get excited and go for it" said coach Mack Brown. "We used it as a chance to coach our kids, and I'm confident they get it now."
    Next week, Texas plays host to Arkansas.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  5. macc24usc

macc24usc Walk On

FSU survives a close one, beats Washington 38-35.

This was a week that had the nation saying it could be a "trap game" for Coach Macc's FSU Seminoles and those who watched the game, late in the 4th quarter were very confident about their prediction. Starting QB Ryan Morgan cooled off from his explosive first quarter, throwing 4 straight interceptions to allow Washington to scofe 35 straight unanswered points through the 2nd and 3rd quarter. Morgan was benched and the HC called upon Paul Cain, a redshirt JR without any previous big game experience....and he comes into a game where his team is tied with an out of conference #22 ranked team.

Cain did his job, he moved the chains in the 4th quarter going 2 for 3 finding freshman Marcus Johnson twice for 52 yards before a 3rd and long 16 yard scramble that would keep the ball in FSU's hands, put them in FG range and chew up more time off the clock, erasing any hope for Washington to mount a drive incase the field goal unit missed. Doak Campbell Stadium was dead silent as the senior K James Perkins trotted out in attempt to break the 35 all tie.

Soon as it left his foot he began celebrating he split the uprights without a doubt from short and the arena errupted as FSU survives the late Out of Conference game collapse.

The best receiving duo in the nation Marcus Johnson and Chip Mitchell accounted for 148 (7) and 82 (5) yards (catches) respectively, but both were held out of the endzone for the first time on the year, but freshman TE Lonnie Woodson stretched 3 catches for 75 yards and 2 scores. Speaking of freshman MLB Patrick Dunbar has continued his terrific season, accounting for 7 tackles 6 solos and 2 sacks on the day.

Despite all of these players having big games gameball would be an emotional celebration as it was awarded to Traevon "Cash Money" Banks - the former 5star prep standout ATH from Dock Junction, GA was the only player on the roster who had issues when the coaching change took place last season. Coach Macc came in too late for Banks to be redshirted despite his coach having a plan for the special player seperate from the one promised to him during his recruitment. Banks would be told he would be a 4 year starter on offense for FSU, much of the reason he didn't elect to stay home at Georgia Tech and sit behind Brian Green for the eventual starting spot. When his new coach came in and told him he would be a "star cornerback", Banks apparently left his coaches office in a heated arguement and contemplated a transfer.

His Coach stood tall, didn't budge and allowed the team who was really gelling around their new coaches system and eventually Banks realized he wanted to be apart of the movement. He eventually came back to his coach and told him he would be ready to redshirt his 2nd year, learn the corner position and come in his 3rd year with 3 remaining years of experience to be a starting CB. There was no question Banks has ever had the athleticism, so he began working with the DBs during spring workouts and his coach took notice to how quickly he was picking up the position and called him into his office to explain to him he doesn't think a redshirt year would be beneficial.

"Last year coach's idea for me to was to play Nickle corner, which covers slot receivers and outside on base sets. He also said I could have the opportunity to return some kicks. When he told me he had visions of me being in the endzone and often - it was the final straw. My recruiting pitch was that I would be scoring touchdowns and I was a selfish freshman at the time. I didn't react properly. I contemplated quitting outright and going back home that day. Chip Mitchell had a convesation with me, whose been coaches main advocator and he told me if I want a shot at the pros, that I will stick it out.

"I didn't realize what he saw in me was a player who could contribute to the defense with a cerebral offensive approach, interceptions and returns. I can diagnose plays well, which allows me to use my speed and technique to make plays."

Banks has been one of the defenses bright spots early in the season. He's been the second best player on the entire unit, a close 2nd behind JR Dwayne Gamble. Banks has 32 tackles on the year, 20 solos and 5TFL.... all better than Gamble, who in respect to him plays On an Island as opposed to in the middle of the field. Banks is much more active and found in different spots around the field and today vs Washington he took two missed field goals back to the house. Banks has added 3 interceptions on defense, one going back for a touchdown and 471 yards on the kick return team, serving as the full time kick and punt returner.

"I love my role on the team now, scouts have been comparing the position I play to a Tyrann Mathieu, physical and behind the line of scrimmage despite being a corner. I've also heard comparisons of a young Charles Woodson the way I bring an offensive approach to the corner position. I think its way too early for any of those comparisons but this is all an ode to how happy I am I swallowed my pride and stayed in Tallahassee."

• Like Like x 2
  6. CJTHA1

CJTHA1 Walk On

jandy hey whats going on. I just got back from being out of town. Is it possible to get the game in before or after the Super Bowl?? Or we can do it around 11am tomorrow morning. Let me know what time is good for you sir??

7. jandy

jandy Walk On

I could play in the next couple hours before the game

8. CJTHA1

CJTHA1 Walk On

What time is good for you?? im on Eastern standard time

9. jandy

jandy Walk On

3:30 EST?

10. CJTHA1

CJTHA1 Walk On

Sounds good

• Like Like x 2
  11. Antonio T.

Antonio T. Walk On

North Carolina celebrates their 52-14 home victory over rival Wake Forest

Chapel Hill, NC - The UNC Tar Heels looked the best that they have looked all season, crushing the Demon Deacons at Kenan. Despite the driving rainstorm, FR QB Chris Archer had his best game of the season so far, passing for 368 yards and a school record 7 TD passes, 3 of which went to WR Michael Coley, who this week looked much better after dropping countless passes this year.
    UNC used a balanced attack this game, finishing with a 37 to 36 run to pass ratio. The attack was aimed primarily at keeping the Tar Heel defense off the field, which has suffered by far the most injuries of any team in the nation. With starting CBs Trey Rivers and Ray Harris out with season ending injuries, SR Steven Carter and JR Freddie Sims stepped up admirably in the game to hold the Wake Forest receivers.
    UNC relied mostly on the run in the first half, having RB Philip Fuller carry the load, it was Fuller's first game back from injury after missing the last 2 games. Fuller would on to rush for 113 yards on the day. Sophomore Derrick Clayton would add another 61 yards on the ground as UNC's first two possessions would culminate in Archer TD passed to Coley and TE Andre Hammond. Wake Forest would respond with two TD drives of their own, riding the legs of HB Damon Sims who beat the Tar Heel defense for 115 rushing yards. UNC would make and miss FGs before the half as UNC led 17-14 at the break.
    The second half Coach T decided to see what his freshman QB could do. Archer responded beautifully, hitting receiver after receiver, leading Carolina to two scoring drives and a 31-14 lead going into the fourth. Behind, the Demon Deacons decided to stack against the UNC run, and Archer would respond as his last 3 TD passes all came on play-action throws. UNC now looks to regain a position in the top 25 next week.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  12. CJTHA1

CJTHA1 Walk On

jandy that was a tough defensive game. You won the turnover battle and in turn you won the game. Your secondary made my QB look real average out there. Look forward to playing you again sir.

13. jandy

jandy Walk On

I was pretty worried after that pick-6 but my defense was able to step up for the rest of the game. It was a defensive battle for sure, great playing you CJ. I'll see you in Gainesville next year

• Like Like x 1