Week 8 Game Summaries, S7

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by IrishBearcat, May 14, 2011.

1. IrishBearcat

IrishBearcat tFC OD Commissioner

eight mate

2. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

[​IMG]

UNLV Bounces Back vs New Mexico

UNLV had a tough game after losing the Brethren Bowl. UNLV had to travel and face the Lobos of New Mexico. It came out firing. The had a great drive but it lead to a missed field goal. "Bubba Beck was recruited as a punter but the inability to recruit a kicker has hit hard. Hopefully the new recruiting advisor helps us out there." Says Coach Beardown. UNLV got a stop and then scored on the next drive. But the special teams lets down UNLV again with giving up a kick return for the second week in a row. "We definitely need to sure the special teams up. We need to win all 3 aspects of the game." Says Coach Beardown. Luckily, the defense dominated the game, only giving up a touchdown in the last two minutes of the game. "They played out of their minds, holding New Mexico to field goals all game which helps an offense trying to recover from a big blunder." Says Coach Beardown. UNLV gets Air Force next week, who has CSU this week and Air Force wins, UNLV looks like the only team who will put a stop the the Falcon's National Title race.

3. Oshiomogho

Oshiomogho Donnie Darko

Wyoming came into San Diego and I needed to prove that the way I opened was not a fluke. For the first time this year, all american WR Jon Lewis was in the starting lineup. I swear i redshirted him but then i saw him come in a few weeks back and now i have too many WRs but he needs to see the field. and see the field he did today! first play out the gate, he nearly caught a touchdown but was hauled in at the 2 but not before he got his 82 yards. He later caught an 75 yard touchdown. his only 2 catches of the game. Andrews was very sharp but missed most of the first half. instead of rushing him back, Fox came in and picked up right where he left off, hitting Lewis and then Banks grabbed an 80 yard TD. In fact, Fox AVERAGED 56 yards per completion!!
    Tate finally had a breakout game but most of that can be credited to a huge 97 yard score late in the game to seal things up. Untouched around the right edge after the defense had just grabbed their 2nd red zone INT.
    Defensively, Vaughn missed most of the game with injury but the defense was still solid. the team recorded 5 sacks and 2 timely red zone INTs.

Wyoming elected not to run the ball much though it proved to be effective at times. It allowed me to key more on the passing attack where the true freshman completed 65% of his 40 passes but wit a long of 28.

This game was all about the home runs for me. 4 plays of over 75 yards is nearly unheard of but it happened today and helped the team get over 500 offensive yards. It was a big game as a lot of recruits were visiting and this great recruiting class is starting to slip away alowly. Hopefully this can turn that around.

4. IrishBearcat

IrishBearcat tFC OD Commissioner

----------------------------------------------
    COLORADO STATE DOMINATES AIR FORCE WITH
    STOUT DEFENSE & EFFECTIVE RUSHING ATTACK
    ----------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]
    RB Adam Robertson won PTOG for his 101 yds, 2 tds, 41 rec yds, 1 td performance

Colorado State entered the contest with a 1-5 record under Coach Irishbearcat against Noffke's Air Force squad. After a 17-31 whipping the Rams had this game circled on their calendars since the release of the S7 schedule.

Punting was the theme for both squads early on as both teams were feeling each other's gameplan out. Freshman RB Adam Robertson, who had interest from AF as a recruit, started the scoring with a 41 yard touchdown run around the edge after faking out the defender. 7-0 Rams end of the first.

The CSU offense cooled off in the 2nd quarter, but the Falcons offense started to get things going. Air Force had two chances inside the redzone for six points, but settled for field goals both times. Rams led 7-6 at the half.

The defenses flexed their muscles in the third quarter and the offenses stalled. Near the end of the third quarter CSU started moving the football. On 3rd and 7 inside the redzone Adam Robertson broke free around the edge for another touchdown run. Air Force was picked off the next drive, and Robertson took a screen pass to the house on a very next play when AF sent the blitz after turning the football over. The Rams led 21-6 at the end of the third.

[​IMG]

AF RB Justin Barrett finally woke up in the fourth quarter and scamped for a 13 yard score. The Falcons converted the two point conversion to cut the lead to 7 with Rams leading 14-21. The very next series QB Austin Pittman broke a tackle around the edge and took a option play to the house for a 58 yard touchdown to seal the deal.

Fittingly, another recruit CSU won in a battle against AF made the game sealing interception as SS Joel Cleveland hauled in an errant pass to seal the 28-14 victory.

CSU dominated the entire game, and was shockingly effective on defense. Justin Barrett was held to 11 yards on 11 carries. He was tackled for no yards or in the backfield for the entire game besides the 13 yards scamper up the middle.

[​IMG]

"I'm so proud of the way the team played," said Coach IrishBearcat in his post-game presser, "we really are becoming a dominant defense and Austin Pittman played a helluva game for us!"

Colorado State faces off with another rival, Wyoming, in what will also be a big revenge game for the previous contest. Can the Rams respond to the call once again? Stay tuned for next week's Battle for the Golden Boot.

5. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

[​IMG]

Unfortunately for Coach Dman and his team, this game got out of hand quickly with costly turnovers committed by the Utah offense. BYU pulled away in the 2nd quarter, and it was never really close after that. QB Max Taylor had a very rough day, throwing 4 INTs to the Cougar secondary (Blake Smith - 2, Amir Montgomery - 1, Jimmie Williams - 1), and BYU managed to capitalize with at least a FG on all four turnovers. Charles Andrews completed 13 of his 21 pass attempts for 268 yds 2 TDs, 0 INTs. Vincent Mitchell had 22 carries for 88 yards and 1 TD. Mark Franklin had 3 catches for 146 yds and 2 TDs. It was an all around team victory, and BYU improves to 2-2 in conference play. The Cougars will travel to face #24 SDSU next week, so this celebration must be short lived.​