Week 8 Game Summaries

Discussion in 'Zeros to Heroes' started by Sabo, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Week 8 Game Summaries

Good Luck Everyone

2. trustandfall

trustandfall Walk On

An incredible finish leaves Houston @ SMU as an ESPN All-Time Great

"This is the game that everyone will be talking about tomorrow," Coach Brown of the SMU Mustangs said to reporters. "It was incredible. I've been around football as a player and a coach for 30+ years now, and I've never seen anything like it. It was unbelievable".

In a game that was dominated in the first half by a stingy Houston defense, the SMU Mustangs were down 14-3 with less than a minute to go in the 2nd quarter from their own 20. After being taken back to their own 8 on a sack, the Mustangs QB Kyle Padron and Wide Receiver Andrew Robinson hooked up on a 92 yard bomb. The Mustangs went into the half down 14-10 but were outplayed in the third quarter as well. Padron left the game injured twice, having thrown two picks. He was bruised and broken when the Mustangs managed to put a touchdown on the board with 5:00 left in the 4th quarter. On the next play, Padron stood in the pocket for what seemed like an eternity before delivering a strike to WR Haness, tying the game at 21 with a 2 point conversion. For the last 5 minutes of the game Padron and Houston Heisman hopeful Case Keenum were both stifled by incredible defenses. With 30 seconds left in the game, SMU was forced to punt the ball and play for overtime. What happened next, will be remembered as one of the all time greatest defensive plays ever.

With 19 seconds on the clock from their own 12, Houston was content with running out the clock. Case Keenum took a snap and scrambled left on an option play. Just before defenders could get to him he attempted to make a long pitch. The pitch would never reach its intended target as it was snatched out of the air and returned for a touch down by Anthony King, a linebacker that will forever be immortalized in Dallas football lore from here on out. In a game that looked like the Mustangs were bound to take their first loss of the season as their quarterback was bruised and beaten beyond recognition with little hope of fairing any better in overtime, SMU's defense stepped up to deliver the biggest play of the season, taking a 28-21 lead with just 12 seconds left.

"That's what these kids are about. This is what SMU football is. We're not backing down from anyone. It's not about one guy, it's about all of them. We're not done yet," Coach Brown said as he left reporters.

(I really wish I had broadcast this game.. It was incredible from start to finish. Was close the entire game. Padron injured, throwing picks and TD's, tying it in the 4th with a TD and 2 pt conversion... Man, it was just awesome.)

3. Tiger171

Tiger171 ONE FULL SEASON WITH NO TF's!! VICTORYYYY!!

Sounds like a helluva game!

4. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Wow that sounded like a hell of a game. Congrats on the hard fought win.

5. trustandfall

trustandfall Walk On

I honestly though I was going to go into overtime and lose.. their wide receivers were able to get open so much easier than mine.. Padron had been injured twice.. It just wasn't looking good when I couldn't move the ball in the last 5 minutes.. I was jumping up and down when I took the fumble to the house! :D

THE TD TO MAKE IT A 2 POINT GAME
    [YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vbm-EUOrJoY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vbm-EUOrJoY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

THE TWO POINT CONVERSION TO TIE
    [YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EWmGIoh4ejQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EWmGIoh4ejQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

THE OPTION FUMBLE FOR A TD TO TAKE LEAD WITH LESS THAN 15 SECONDS
    [YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E7u23GOn0JQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E7u23GOn0JQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

6. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

whoa, incredible game there! i would have been running all around the living room celebrating ;D

7. bdub

bdub Walk On

LOL I probably would have done the same. Now the CPU on the other hand should go and shoot themselves for running the option in that situation.

8. trustandfall

trustandfall Walk On

I definitely was.. it was an awesome, awesome game. I'm pumped for my UTEP game now.. I think if I can get through that, I'll be undefeated come CUSA championship time.

9. Tiger171

Tiger171 ONE FULL SEASON WITH NO TF's!! VICTORYYYY!!

Ohio Bobcats 23
    Miami (Oh) 0 F

The Ohio Bobcats traveled to Oxford to take on the RedHawks of Miami (Oh). The Bobcats struggled in the 1st Half of the game to continue a trend that has been all season long, the Bobcats went into the locker room with a 6-0 lead. The offense added 2 touchdowns in the 2nd half to put the game away late. The defense was lead once again by Senior Defensive End Dak Notestine who had his 2nd 5 sack game in a row. Notestine set Ohio University school records for sacks in a season and sacks in a career with 20.0 Sacks on the season. He is also 4 sacks shy of Arizona State's Terrell Suggs NCAA record mark of 24 sacks in a season. The Bobcats play host to non-conference foe UL-Lafayette next week.

Offensive Standouts:

Ohio Bobcats

QB Boo Jackson
    15/22 252yds 1TD 1INT

HB Joey Inks
    17 carries 67yds

WR Lavon Brazill
    9rec 108yds 1TD

Miami (Oh)

QB Austin Boucher
    4/9 100yds 1INT

QB Zac Dysert
    7/15 72yds 2INT

WR Chris Givens
    4rec 107yds

Defensive Standouts:

Ohio Bobcats

LE Dak Notestine
    8Tkls 5.0 Sacks (Ties his own school record)
    * Ohio Bobcats school record for sacks in a season & career with 20 sacks*

CB Shannon Ballard
    1Tkl 1INT

Miami (Oh)

Jordan Gafford
    7Tkls

Jerrell Wedge
    7Tkls 1FF

Ohio Head Coach was unavailable after today's game but said this on his weekly television show:

"We played a real sloppy first half of the ball and were real careless with the football. Our defense really bailed us out again today and I believe our front seven is playing some of the best football I've seen in years, really dominant performance by those guys. Boo Jackson got knocked around quite a bit in this game and I expect he's gonna spend a good part of this week in the trainer's room licking his wounds, if he's not able to go next week Sophomore Tyler Tettleton will have to be ready to go. We should be getting Senior HB Vince Davidson back in the next couple of weeks and that should help out the offense getting one of their captains back on the field. Our next opponent has had a tough year going 0-6 but we know they're going to come ready to battle and we're not in the least overlooking them in any way."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

nice shutout!

11. ChaoticUT

ChaoticUT Life is Orange and White!

Final Score:
    UTEP 38 - Tulane 14

For the first time this season UTEP's offense played its first complete game. Lead by QB Vittatoe's best game of the season passing for 200 yards on 12-17 compeletion for 2TDs and ZERO... yes I said ZERO interceptions, a first this season. The main reason behind this passing success was spreading the ball out. Three Miner's had more then 50 yards receiving, and four WR had catches of 20 yards or more. Of course the ground game was solid once again. Buckram rushed for 132 yards and 2 TDs on 23 attempts as back up RB Jason Williams put in solid time adding another score on 6 attempts giving Buckram much needed rest. It was another solid game on defense as well, as the Miners played team defense with no one player having more then 3 tackles!

Offensive Player of the Game:
    -Trevor Vitattoe: 12-17- 180 yards- 2TDs

Defensive Player of the Game:

-Entire Miner Defense: Kept Tulane under 100 passing and 100 yards rushing

12. trustandfall

trustandfall Walk On

Great game UTEP.. Eek, you guys are starting to really roll and we collide in 2 weeks!

13. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Arkansas State 42 FAU 17

The Red Wolves were happy to be home on saturday as the FAU Owls came to town. The Red Wolves drastically improved on offense this week through the air and on the ground. The Red Wolves put up 21 points in the first quarter and never looked back cruising to a 42-17 victory. This win makes the Red Wolves bowl eligible and the Jonesboro crowd couldnt be happier. Next week MTSU comes to Jonesboro. Things are shaping up to see a big showdown at the end of the season between Arkansas State and FIU. If both ASU and FIU stay on course this could be a game for the Sun Belt Conference Title.

[​IMG]

Passing ATT Comp Yards TD Int
    Ryan Aplin 17 9 205 0 1
    Andre Smith 2 1 23 0 0

Rushing ATT Yards TD Long
    Jermaine Robinson 3 64 2 59
    Frankie Jackson 16 38 3 10
    Derek Lawson 12 36 1 12
    Jeff Blake 2 20 0 19

Receiving Catches Yards TD Long
    Allen Muse 6 153 0 37
    Anthony Robinson 2 37 0 20
    Dwayne Frampton 1 23 0 23
    Kedric Murray 1 15 0 15

14. ChaoticUT

ChaoticUT Life is Orange and White!

Can't wait! It should be a good one.

Nice win Sabo. Bowl eligible is a nice accomplishment for the first season!

15. OnIowa

OnIowa Zeroes to Heroes

San Diego State Aztecs (7-0) 31 vs. New Mexico Lobos (0-7) 6

The San Diego State Aztecs remained perfect as they knocked out the Lobos of New Mexico in a lopsided battle. Although the Aztecs started off slow, leading only 7-0 and halftime, they turned on the burners in the 2nd half scoring 24 points and widening the gap against the Lobos. "At halftime I told the guys it's now or never," said Coach E, "We still have a chance at a conference title and a good bowl game, so I knew reiterating that would motivate the guys.

Ryan Lindley threw for 338 yards and 1 TD, but also threw 2 INT along the way, Doug Deakin caught 9 passes for 208 yards and 1 TD. Walter Kazee who has stepped in for injured Brandon Sullivan the past 5 weeks rushed for 132 yards on 24 carries and scored 3 times. "I don't know what we are going to do when Brandon comes back." Coach E stated. "Both he and Walter have had great seasons and it is definitely going to be a tough decision for me to make, but i feel both guys will understand I am going to do what is best for the team.

The Atztec defense stepped up and held the Lobo offense to 140 passing yards and 0, yes 0, yards on the ground. Lead by senior left end BJ Williams who recorded 2 more sacks to up his season total to 13, the San Diego State defense remains one of the top ranked in the NCAA.

Follow the Aztecs as they travel to Laramie, Wyoming to take on a conference foe and a chance to improve to 8-0 on the season.

16. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Great win for the Aztecs. Still unbeaten... very impressive