Week 8: Jaguars 49, Titans 31

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Big D, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Big D

Big D Walk On

Oct 8, 2009
    Week 8: Jaguars 49, Titans 31

Williamson 'Returns' Jaguars to Respectability
    by: Harry Stone, Jacksonville Post-Intelligencer

Those in attendance at Tennessee witnessed one of the most remarkable feats in NFL histrory Sunday.

Jacksonville's Troy Williamson set a league record with three kickoff return touchdowns, two of which were over 90 yards. He also set an NFL record with 328 kick return yards in the game.

"It's unbelievable," says Williamson. "I know the skill I have, but man. . .three touchdowns. I guess I made history didn't I?"

Indeed he did, and it was those three scores that propelled the Jaguars (3-4) to victory over the Titans 49-31. The win puts them in 3rd place in the AFC South and back into the coversation of potential playoff teams.

"What Troy did today, I don't think we will ever see again in our lifetimes at this level of football," remarked Coach Dunlap. "I think everyone in attendace today got the price of admission at much more."

Williamson even had a touchdown return off of a squib kick, or a kick designed by teams to bounce well in front of the returner to prevent any long runs.

It was one of those rare moments where team allegiances were put aside and fans truly enjoyed the greatness they witnessed.

"I don't think I'll ever forget it," said 92 year old Titans' fan Oliver Henn. "My goodness, I think that's the fastest kid I've ever seen."

A much younger fan, Jake Smiley (6 years old) may have summed it up best. "Why can't he be on our team? He is awesome," said the boy decked out in Titan blue.

Taking a backseat to the Williamson show was the highly anticipated matchup of two of the league's premier running backs; Jacksonville's Maurice Jones-Drew, and Tennessee's Chris Johnson.

Both backs had flashes of brilliance but it was Jones-Drew who again put his stamp on a Jaguars victory with 147 yards rushing and 36 yards receiving. Johnson finished with 97 rushing yards and 15 receiving.

"I think Maurice has really shown the league why he is the best back in fooball today," praised Dunlap. "I know there is that Peterson guy in the NFC, but if you look at these past 4 weeks (since Jones-Drew returned from injury) I don't think there is any doubt who the most complete back in the NFL is."

It was hard to remember the start of this game, when teams exchanged punts on their opening possession. Jones-Drew didn't have a touch on the Jaguars first series, but the second time Jacksonville got the ball he would touch the ball on the first five plays resulting in 54 yards from scrimmage to set up a David Garrad sneak into the endzone for the first points of the game.

Another Titan's three and out would give Jacksonville the ball back and this time they would need only four plays to score, as Jones-Drew would go off of left tackle for a 42 yard scoring run.

The 14-0 lead wouldn't last for long and Chris Johnson would show his explosiveness taking a pitch to the left 68 yards to the house for the Titans first points.

Then the record setting day for Williamson would start, as he took the ensuing kick-off 94 yards for a touchdown putting the Jaguars up 21-7.

The play would get a bit sloppy for both teams as Vince Young was picked off once and Garrard twice in the quarter, and each team would exchange touchdowns, including a 63 yard run by Jones-Drew to make the score 28-14 with 1:10 remaining in the half.

But as fans headed for the concession stands the explosive second quarter continued with Vince Young leading the Titans on a nice drive capped off by a touchdown pass with only 4 seconds left in the quarter.

Thinking the half was basically over the Titans squib kicked the ball to make sure Williamson couldn't get any kind of return. However that plan backfired as Williamson took the ball off the bounce, broke two tackles, and raced his way up the left sideline for a demoralizing score.

The Titans would come out of the locker room understandably deflated. Although they managed to get a field goal on their first drive, they unfortunately had to kick-off to Williamson again. And for the record-setting third time the speedy second year player would take the kickoff back for a touchdown.

On the next drive Jaguars free agent aquisition Fakir Brown would intercept a Vince Young pass and return it for a touchdown, putting the game out of reach after the extra point 49-24.

The Jaguars would pull most of their starters in the 4th quarter and coast to their third win of the year 49-31.

"It feels awesome to get that first divisional win under our belts. And frankly I showed my team some pretty damn good bulletin board material before the game. So called 'expert' Winuvas picked us to lose. The Titans owner told us he'd beat us easily if we tried to replay the early season game that was a bit controversial. Both of those gentlemen are solid people, and they are entitled to their opinions. But I think my guys used that motivation to help in today's game."

The Jaguars go home to face struggling Kansas City (1-6) next week as they attempt to even their season record.

See Williamson's Record Setting Day
    1st Touchdown, 94 yards
    Squib kick returned 78 yards for a touchdown
    3rd Touchdown, 97 yards

Jacksonville Jaguars
    D. Garrard 7-12, 122 yds, 2 INT
    M. Jones-Drew 16 car, 147 yds rush, 36 yds rec, 2 TD
    G. Jones 2 rec 33yds
    L. Castillo 4 tackles (2 for loss), 1 sack

Tennessee Titans
    V. Young 18-26, 210 yds, 1 TD, 2 INT
    C. Johnson 9 car, 97 yds, 2 TD
    N. Washington 5 rec, 62 yds, 1 TD
    G. Dorsey 8 tackles (3 for loss), 1 sack

Jacksonville Jaguars
    Rush Yds - 160
    Pass Yds - 111
    3rd Down - 3-8 (37%)
    TO - 2

Tennessee Titans
    Rush Yds - 132
    Pass Yds - 266
    3rd Down- 3-10 (30%)
    TO - 2
  2. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

Oct 8, 2009
    what can i say? dunlap's defense and special teams scored 28 points!!!! Whats is even more crazy is i only hit the strip button on one of those returns and each one he broke 2 + tackles.... Me and the boys partied for a week straight during the bye week after the new england win and i even cut practice short on the days we did practice which was a big mistake. We felt invincible after that game and relaxed a little going into this game. Feelings got hurt out there and im not blaming anyone but myself. My players arnt going to like the 2 a days during the season but im not going to lose another game like that. once again gg dunlap.
  3. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

Oct 8, 2009
    oh yeah winivus and nate, feel free to jump off the wagon again but just know im locking the doors after you get out. haha