Week 8 - New Orleans (14) @ Atlanta (38)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by BigSmooth33, Mar 3, 2010.

1. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Jan 6, 2010
    Week 8 - New Orleans (14) @ Atlanta (38)

Another big statement out of Atlanta, as Coach Smooth is starting settle into his own after taking over the Falcons franchise, knocking off Coach Nate 38-14.

In the week coming up to the game, Coach Smooth and his staff did extensive scouting of the New Orleans squad and realized to win this game, clock management and taking care of the ball would be pivotal. New Orleans had something like 16 INT's through the first 7 weeks of the season!

1st Half
    Atlanta kicked off to the Saints to start the game and rookie sensations Keller and English marched down the field and scored on a 3 yard Keller run in under 3 minutes.

With Michael Turner carrying the load, Atlanta ate up the rest of the 1st quarter and tied the score with a 1 yard Jacob Hester TD.

Second quarter was interesting to say the least. Believe this was the point where Koenen wiffed on the punt (thanks to my dog jumping into my lap during the kick), kicked it like 30 yards, and NO muffed to punt. An Atlanta fumble recovery set up a short drive topped off with a 2 yard Jerrious Norwood TD.

Michael Turner busted off an 80 yard TD after punching every Saint defender in the face in one of the more unrealistic runs I've ever seen in a video game.

Halftime score - Atlanta 24 New Orleans 7

Second continued the Michael Turner show, gaining a lot of yards on the ground after the first hit.

Pretty slow second half as Atlanta reeled back the offense a bit.

Scoring summary:
    1st Quarter
    NO 5:06 J. Keller, 3 yd run (G. Hartley kick) - NO 7 ATL 0
    ATL 0:38 J. Hester, 1 yd run (J. Elam kick) - NO 7 ATL 7

2nd Quarter
    ATL 6:01 J. Norwood, 2 yd run (J. Elam kick) - NO 7 ATL 14
    ATL 3:13 M. Turner, 80 yd run (J. Elam kick) - NO 7 ATL 21
    ATL 0:00 J. Elam, 19 yd FG - NO 7 ATL 24

3rd Quarter
    ATL 5:30 J. Hester, 14 yd pass from M. Ryan (J. Elam kick)- NO 7 ATL 31
    ATL 2:40 M. Turner, 78 yd run (J. Elam kick) - NO 7 ATL 38

4th Quarter
    NO 7:55 J. English, 4 yd run, (G. Hartley kick) - NO 14 ATL 38

Player of the game:
    Michael Turner 11 carries 267 yards, 2 TD, 2 receptions for 21 yards
    Caption: Turner breaking through Saints arm tackles enroute to his 80 yard TD scamper in the second quarter.

Good showing by the Falcons over a very young and talented Saints squad. It will be interesting to see how the rest of this season plays out in the NFC South.

Game note:
    There were questions about my gameplay made throughout the game about not following the rules (i.e. motion of WR's). I made a mistake once, the rest of the game was purely per design of the plays in the Falcons playbook. Please review these and make sure they are legal to use. Motion is a large part of this playbook and my offense. If I need to change things up, I'd like to understand the rationale for calling the Falcons' playbook cheesy. Specifically look at proform and the single back sets. There are a lot of runs and passes that by video game design, call for a TE or WR to go in motion.