Week 8: Panthers comeback in 4th quarter over division rival Bucs.

Discussion in 'Game Summaries & Team News' started by ncsu12ddr, Sep 27, 2013.

1. ncsu12ddr

ncsu12ddr Walk On

The Panthers bested the Bucs 28 - 17 in a tale of two halves.

After two straight 3 and outs for the Panthers the Bucs took an early 7 - 0 lead. Christian Ponder had gotten lucky on a couple of bad passes early in the game, but on a drive that was deep in Panthers territory his luck ran out and he threw an INT to Jon Beason. Cam Newton and the Panthers offense proceeded to drive down the field and tie the game up early in the 2nd quarter. After a late field goal from the Bucs the half ended with a score of 10 - 7 Bucs. After trading TDs in the 3rd it was a 3 point game in the 4th quarter. The Bucs who completely dominated time of possession (17:45 to 10:15) continued to use a run the clock approach and took the ball into Panthers territory. However, the defense made a stop and the Bucs were forced to punt with just under 4 minutes to go in the game. The Bucs were able to pin the Panthers deep in their own territory; however, with the Bucs loaded up in a pass defense formation Cam Newton audibled to a run play on 1st and 10 from the 11 and DeAngelo Williams ran for 15 yards to the 26. A few plays later Greg Olsen caught a pass an took it deep down the field for a huge gain that put the Panthers deep in Buccaneer territory. After a successful 3rd down play that put the Panthers on the 1 yard line Cam Newton was able to sneak it in for the go-ahead TD. On the next drive by the Bucs Panthers 2012 Defensive Rookie of the Year Luke Kuechly was able to pick off Christian Ponder for a TD that sealed the deal. Another INT by Captain Munnerlyn ended the game.

The Panthers have now improved to 5-2 and tied for first in the NFC South. This is a surprise to most everyone as the Panthers started out 1-2 and after a huge loss to the Giants in Week 3 everyone had pretty much given up on the Panthers. They have been able to take advantage of the weak teams on their schedule with 4 straight wins, but now comes the big test for the Panthers as they are set to face the Falcons, Patriots, 49ers, and Dolphins.

• Like Like x 1
  2. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

Thanks for the write up David. Congrats on getting things going in the right direction!

I just have a couple of constructive criticisms as far as your recap:

Rather than telling us that the opposing QB "got lucky", go into a little detail. What happened? Did the defense drop picks? Did receivers make amazing catches? Just saying the opposing team's QB got lucky seems to discount the fact that they took an early lead.

This statement sticks in my craw a little bit, as there are no WEAK teams in The Q. Perhaps you faced a run of teams that have been struggling thus far in the season? You get what I'm saying?

I am not trying to beat you up or take away from your win streak at all. There is sometimes a fine line between talking a little trash and being disrespectful. I don't believe you had any malicious intent at all, and believe this was just a case of a poor choice of words. Hopefully you understand where I am coming from.

It is not my intention to put you on blast or anything, but I feel this is something to be shared publicly so the league as a whole can learn from it.

Once again, great job on turning your season around thus far, keep up the good work!

Thanks!

• Like Like x 3
  3. ncsu12ddr

ncsu12ddr Walk On

Thanks for the advice. I meant dropped passes by my defense when I said lucky. I also meant no disrespect of the owners I have faced recently I was just reiterating what was said in the most recent power rankings about my team.

• Like Like x 3