Week 8: Panthers Stay Unbeaten With 4th Quarter Comeback

Discussion in 'Game Summaries & Team News' started by LtJustice, Mar 1, 2013.

1. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

Despite a woeful passing game, where quarterback Cam Newton would only complete five passes on the day, the Carolina Panthers outlasted the rival Atlanta Falcons to improve their record to 8-0 on the season. The Panthers defense would continue to drive this team, as they harassed Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan all day and forced 3 fumbles for turnovers.

The Panthers offense nearly gave the game away in 4th quarter, as Newton made an ill advised pitch attempt on an option play that was intercepted by the Atlanta defense and returned for a touchdown. The score gave Atlanta their first lead of the game, but the Panthers offense bounced right back with a touchdown drive of their own to take back the lead and win the game.

The Panthers now head into their week 9 bye as one of only two unbeaten teams left in the league, along with the Indianapolis Colts. Following their bye, Carolina will play host to the Green Bay Packers for a long anticipated matchup.

Note:
    Some may notice that the Falcons went for it on 4th and 8 in the 2nd quarter, a clear violation of our 4th down rules. I just wanted to make it clear that it was a violation and I have spoken with Rod about it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

GG Rod! (Gutcheck64)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Michael Overman

Michael Overman Walk On

Great Video Jim

-Nice punt return
    -Injury to Reese…another broken jaw…these injuries are everywhere need to have guys work their jaw out harder
    -4th and 8 combined with a 15 yard dropback yikes
    -Great movement in the pocket on the TD pass in the 3rd quarter ( I believe to Olsen maybe Virgin)
    -Ha is ATL’s RB named Little Kim? He runs like a beast
    -ouch Cam Newton run and toss right to a Falcons player
    -wow great run with Minor

Good Game Guys

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gutcheck64

Gutcheck64 Walk On

great vids jim,...i love it .lot's to see,it's the only time i can go over game film....i gotta start recording my games..lol great game jim i dont know what else i can do to beat you after holding cam to 5 comps and no rushing yds and thats not an easy task and then have no int's by matt ryan.and a lead late in the game....all i know is ware gonna be bringing it week 16

• Like Like x 1
  4. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Thx for the highlights, Jim. Great game guys!

Everyone please make sure you adhere to the league rules. They are there for a reason!

Rod, make sure to review the 4th down rules if you haven't done so already. Gutcheck64

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gutcheck64

Gutcheck64 Walk On

well lets have your QB get sacked 5 times with 3 fumbles lost and see how far you drop back,as for 4th down i was well across the 50(34 yd line)under 2min in the half down by 10 against a team that has swept me in the div 2 seasons in a row and now 5 games in a row and i got 2 wins baby,its time to pull out the stops

6. CHUNKNESS

Rod, 4th down decisions are not a coach's call until the fourth quarter. I think what Michael Overman was pointing out was a couple of those sack fumbles occurred because you dropped back so far (15 yds) instead of taking a normal 5-8 step drop back. It allows the DE's easy access around the OT's.

7. Gutcheck64

Gutcheck64 Walk On

i never know how far i drop back because im looking down field but it happens AGAINST me all the time i never whine about it.i have 2 wins and am getting grief for my game play.next time keep your unproductive comments to yourself.....thx:)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  8. LtJustice

Thanks Michael! The Reese injury hurts, but gives more playing time to the fastest linebacker in the league to develop ;)

9. CHUNKNESS

I don't view it as whining though Rod. It is criticism that is being directed toward you as a suggestion to keep an eye on it. Granted, there may have been a better way to have approached it, but it was a notable concern. My constructive suggestion regarding 4th down would be if you want to go for it on 4th and 8 in the future, please contact your opponent BEFORE making the call to go for it. If they agree to allow you to do so, have at it. However, if it is against the written rules and your opponent does not agree with going for it, please refrain from doing so. Otherwise it gives everyone else in the league the belief that they can go for it on fourth down whenever they see fit and/or they can stretch the rules to benefit themselves whenever they like. I know you meant well and I know you are trying to make something happen for your team. I don't want to take away from that. Your actions did not cause any turmoil with Jim or any other members of the league for that matter. Just take a look if you get a chance because if it is an issue in the future where it determines the outcome of a game, it will cause unneeded/unwanted turmoil.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  10. Gutcheck64

Gutcheck64 Walk On

I will say this.that was unwarranted criticism at a person that's never been known to break rules and done in a very public fashion that adds insult to the injury of losing considering I try to treat every situation with respect even when I lose. You should have hit me up on YIM.all i did was try to post something positive about the vids and before I can post it I have somebody calling me out.even when watching the vids I was saying to myself that is a deep dropback I need a shallower pocket my guys can't block that deep but I had no idea until I saw the video I was just trying to get the pass off.jim did mention the 4th down play after the game and I don't have a problem with that but made no mention of my drop backs and said he wasn't going to say anything about it because it wasnt a big deal just wanted to let me know that other owners would complain.which is fine I really thought it was a go for it situation being that my choice was a 51yd FG WITH 79ovr kicker. And give him the ball at the 50ydline with 1:20 leftif I miss or net 14 yds on the punt.I'm not above the rules just tell me privately like we normally do thats all I'm saying

11. CHUNKNESS

Not calling you out Rod. Transparency, that is all. No ill will intended behind it whatsoever. Our league is more tangible now with video. Therefore, we want it to be a learning experience for you and anyone else who views it. This discussion was not intended to make you feel singled out, nor was it to take away from your game. Rather, the intent was to allow for everyone to see what was discussed and why.

12. Gutcheck64

Gutcheck64 Walk On

Well its the 1st time I have went for it on 4th down in 3 seasons of this years madden and now im poster child with the lesson for all to learn by.there have been many issues in league this season and I dont remember anyone else being a video example by name afer having a private posgame discussion.........am I a problem player?..with my record I dont think im generating alot of gameplay complaints so where are the other examples of transparency?....thats all im saying

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  13. LtJustice

I hope you don't think I was trying to call you out Rod. I did discuss it with you after the game, said I was ok with it because I understood and agreed with your reasoning, but also said it could be a problem if you were playing another owner who wasn't so agreeable. I did not mention the drop backs, because I didn't really see them until putting together the video, as I am usually keeping an eye on receivers in those situations.

The entire reason I mentioned it was because it was a pivotal play that I felt should be in the highlight video, but I couldn't see leaving it in there without addressing it at all. That was the purpose of my disclaimer about having discussed it with you. The intention wasn't to call you out, but to make clear to anyone whom it may concern, that the situation was acknowledged and addressed.

14. CHUNKNESS

^^^^^ this... ^^^^^ Gutcheck64