Week 9 - Atlanta (10) at Tampa Bay (7)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by BigSmooth33, Mar 11, 2010.

1. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Week 9 - Atlanta (10) at Tampa Bay (7)

What an ugly showing by both offenses, or in my opinion, a really solid defensive showing from both defenses...

Tampa Bay's defense under Coach Winuvas completely squashed any hopes for a Matt Ryan breakout game, holding him to only 55 yards through the air and forcing 3 INT's.

Michael Turner was corraled for 74 yards on his 20 carries and putting in Atlanta's only touchdown with 6:57 to play in the 4th quarter. This TD provided Tampa Bay with a 10 point deficit, but this did not shake up and coming QB Josh Freeman from effectively driving down the field and handing off to Darren McFadden for a 2 yard TD score.

The game ended late in the 4th with under 2 minutes to play, when Josh Freeman was scrambling within the Atlanta 15 yard line for a first down and put the ball on the carpet. I believe it was Tye Hill (first game against TB's player of the game) that came out from the scrum with the ball...

Matt Ryan took knees to close out the rest of the game.

Great game, as Winuvas really stressed out my offense. 7 sacks, 3 INT's, and only 144 yards of total offense! Glad to see the matchup end for now.

Again, time of possession helped Atlanta keep control of the game and the lead with a 20:44 - 11:16 advantage.

Player(s) of the game:
    ATLANTA
    Former Mizzou SS standout - William Moore
    [​IMG]
    1 tackle, 2 INT's
    Tye Hill
    [​IMG]
    1 tackle, 1 sack, 1 fumble recovery

TAMPA BAY
    Lawrence Timmons
    6 tackles, 2 sacks

Tommy Kelly
    [​IMG]
    4 tackles, 3 sacks

2. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Honestly it should have been uglier. If not for 2 of those Ryan picks coming in the red zone (one in the end zone) the game would have been a lot worse.

It's nice to see the defense show up and man up to play some ball. I just wonder if both sides of the ball would ever like to show up at the same time to the game.

3. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Regardless, Tampa Bay's defense is legitimately one of the toughest, completely sim style defenses I've ever faced playing Madden...

Takes a lot moving the ball against this squad.

4. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I appreciate the kind words, my friend. If I ever figure out how to consistently play any semblance of offense, my defense will keep me high in the NFC. However, I don't think that's happening anytime soon.

5. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Roethlisberger Benched; Bucs lose defensive battle

[​IMG]

Tampa Bay QB Josh Freeman attempts to lead the team to victory.

by Antoine Buckman
    Blogger, Tampa Tribune

The Ben Roethlisberger experiment is apparently over in Tampa Bay after a game and a half. In the worst game of his professional career, Roethlisberger was benched at halftime in favor of Josh Freeman. However, even Freeman could not overcome a tight Falcons defense in a 10-7 loss in Raymond James Stadium this Sunday.

Coach Winuvas was correct in one statement he made three weeks ago. This game was definitely a different atmosphere than the last Falcons game. Instead of an offensive explosion, both teams struggled to move the ball against stalwart defenses in a game plagued with turnovers and offensive issues for both squads.

The first scoring of the game for either team came in the second quarter, with a Jason Elam field goal midway through the quarter to go into halftime at 3-0.

Roethlisberger was benched midway through the second quarter after going only 1 of 9 passes for 6 yards and 2 interceptions. Josh Freeman's first pass under center was intercepted by strong safety William Moore. However, Freeman's best (and worst) moments would come in the fourth quarter.

The Bucs defense allowed their first touchdown of the day on a long drive by Atlanta that scored on a Michael Turner 1 yard run early in the fourth quarter. Josh Freeman then went to work.

Freeman was electric in the fourth quarter, going 7-8 in the quarter for 84 yards and hitting wide receivers and tight ends that were not being hit earlier in the game. With timely runs from Darren McFadden, Tampa Bay shortened the lead to 10-7. Coach Winuvas then chose to not go with an onside kick and instead let his defense make one more stop. The defense obliged the coach, and Freeman had the ball back with a little over two minutes left and 80 yards to go.

Freeman guided his team down the field as he's done throughout the year. However, he fell one play short, as with 25 seconds left and scrambling to get some extra yards for a possible tying field goal, Freeman fumbled the ball away to Falcons cornerback Tye Hill, ending the game.

Freeman went 8 of 10 in the game overall for 113 yards and an interception. Darren McFadden was nonexistent in the running game, carrying the ball 11 times for only 28 yards as he could not get rolling all game long. Tight end Chris Cooley had 3 catches for 37 yards.

Tampa Bay's defense, however, deserves an entire paragraph devoted to their stellar play. The defense harassed the Atlanta Falcons' offense all game long for 7 sacks, 3 interceptions of Matt Ryan, and 1 forced fumble. Linebacker Keith Rivers had 7 tackles, 1 sack, and 1 interception. Defensive tackle Tommy Kelly had 4 tackles and 3 sacks, while Lawrence Timmons had 6 tackles and 2 sacks. Defensive end Evander "Ziggy" Hood had the other sack and 2 tackles. Free safety Tanard Jackson had 2 interceptions to go with 2 tackles. Sadly, all of these awesome efforts were in a losing effort.

Atlanta, on the other hand, did not have a much better time of it offensively. Matt Ryan went 11 of 14 for 90 yards and 3 interceptions. Michael Turner ran 20 times for 74 yards and a touchdown. Ryan's favorite target was wide receiver Michael Jenkins, who caught 4 passes for 35 yards. Defensive tackle Kenyon Coleman had 4 tackles and a sack, and safety William Moore had 2 of the 3 interceptions of Tampa Bay quarterbacks.

"A sloppy offensive performance by both teams. But both defenses were stellar when they needed to be. We just couldn't make more plays than the Falcons," Coach Winuvas said, dejected after the loss which sent his team to 3-5 on the season.

Tampa Bay, mathematically speaking, still has a shot at the playoffs. However, with tough opponents coming up in division foes New Orleans and Carolina, and surprise teams like Cincinnati coming in to play the Buccaneers, can Coach Winuvas get his team back into the mix? Or is this season a lost cause?

Keep up with all Bucs coverage at the franchise website:
    www.traditionfootball.com