Week 9: Bills (31) vs Bears (26)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Matt54987, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Matt54987

Matt54987 Walk On

Jul 23, 2010
    Week 9: Bills (31) vs Bears (26)

Bills earn a tough win at home. Full recap and highlights to come after class.
  2. Matt54987

Matt54987 Walk On

Jul 23, 2010
    Bills survive Bear attack 31-26

Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch combined for 185 of Buffalo's 199 rushing yards​

Buffalo -- Despite a lackluster passing game, the Buffalo Bills were able to steal a win at home against a very resilient Bears team.

There were numerous attempts to play Sunday's game, but Mother Nature had other plans. Ultimately the game had to be played late Monday afternoon with Bears' coach SRC unable to coach his team on the sideline.

"It's a shame it had to happen like this," Bills' coach Matt Davis said.

Even without their head coach, the Chicago Bears showed the Bills they were not to be taken lightly. Two Robbie Gould field goals (52,55) would be all the scoring in the first quarter as the Bears defense held the Bills without a single first down in 8 minutes of play.

The Bills would awake in the 2nd quarter when Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch rushed the team down the field, ending the drive with a 2-yard touchdown run by Lynch to give Buffalo the 7-6 lead. A 29-yard field goal by Ryan Lindell would put Buffalo up 10-6 with just 1:40 left in the first half. Suddenly the Bills went from down 6 to nearly having the halftime lead.

Bears' QB Jay Cutler would lead his team down the field behind great passing, concluding the drive with a 2-yard run by Matt Forte. The Bears would lead 13-10 at half as they completely swung the momentum in less than a minute.

"We pretty much trailed all game and could not find a rhythm in the passing game, nor could we stop Jay [Cutler] and their air attack," said Davis after the game.

Two-yard touchdown runs were common in this one as McIntyre got in on the action for the Bills with his own two-yard touchdown to put Buffalo back on top 17-13. But as had been the story all game, Buffalo was unable to stop the Bears and Cutler made them pay with a one-yard pass to Ta'ufo'ou. Easy for you to say.

With the offense struggling, especially Robert You's 17 for 35 passing performance, halfbacks Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch took it upon themselves to carry the Bills to victory.

Jackson, who got the start, gained 93 yards on 22 carries with 1 touchdown. Jackson said he feels refreshed to now have the chance to shine in the Bills' starting role. "I'm excited to have a shot at leading this team to victory each and every Sunday." Jackson told reporters after the game. "I just put my head down and run...run hard. It's all I know."

2nd string running back Marshawn Lynch had a similarily successful day as he rushed for 92 yards on just 15 carries for 1 touchdown. But it was the rookie C.J. Spiller's 8-yard touchdown run that would give the Bills a lead they would never lose. It was Spiller's first and last carry of the game.

"I just saw a hole and ran straight into the endzone. The o-line just blocked incredible well since the Bears stacked the box and we decided not to check out and just pound it, said Spiller.

After an Ashton Youboty interception, Fred Jackson would add a one-yard touchdown run to put Buffalo up 11 just over two minutes left in the game. The Bears would score a touchdown on a Cutler pass to Roy Williams but the two-point conversion would fail, as would the onside kick.

Other noteable stats include Lee Evans catching 5 balls for 55 yards; tight end Michael Matthews caught 5 for 46 yards; Paul Posluszny and Ashton Youboty each intercepted Jay Cutler; Torbor, McGee and Stroud each recorded one sack on the day.

It was not all good news for Buffalo on this day as they lose Roscoe Parrish for the next five weeks with a broken collarbone.

Lastly, I'd like to thank SRC for being such a great guy and a great sport. He had net problems on Saturday which prevented us getting the game in, but he was very apologetic about the situation that was out of his control. We tried again late Sunday afternoon but the lag was completely unbearable. I took responsibility for this even though I am not sure what the cause was, or if it even had anything to do with us but rather EA themselves. We tried once again at 11am pacific Monday morning but random disconnects--with no pattern whatsoever--prevented us yet again. SRC, who was losing at the time of all 3 disconnects, decided to drop and allow me to play the CPU. We both attempted to contact Jeremy as well as text Nate (sorry about that Nate), and when I finally got ahold of Jeremy, SRC was right there on AIM to send Jeremy a PM explaining his willingness to drop. SRC made a very frustrating ordeal much more tolerable and is a class act.