Week 9 Season 2

Discussion in 'Legendary Veterans' started by IrishBearcat, Dec 31, 2011.

1. IrishBearcat

IrishBearcat tFC OD Commissioner

[​IMG]
    Advance Max: Monday @10PM EST
    =============== #21 Washington Huskies (5-1) ===============
    Last week the Huskies were idle.
    This week, the Huskies will host Utah (4-2).
    In recruiting news, the following Washington targets have announced their decisions:
    - (****) FS Tom Harris has committed to Notre Dame
    - (***) CB Lewis Bryant has committed to Washington
    - (***) RG Steve Miller has committed to Oregon State
    - (****) RE Mike Townsend has committed to Oregon State
    =============== #1 UCLA Bruins (7-0) ===============
    Last week, UCLA won 30-27 against Stanford (5-2).
    This week, the Bruins will host Arizona (4-3).
    In recruiting news, the following UCLA targets have announced their decisions:
    - (***) LE David Mitchell has committed to UCLA
    - (***) C Derrick Estes has committed to UCLA
    - (***) SS Ryan Hardy has committed to UCLA
    - (***) FS Andy Davis has committed to UCLA
    - (***) LG George Leak has committed to UCLA
    - (***) CB Ryan Mason has committed to UCLA
    - (***) HB Alex Brown has committed to UCLA
    - (***) WR Anthony Moss has committed to UCLA
    =============== Cal Golden Bears (4-2) ===============
    Last week, Cal lost 49-21 against Oregon (4-2).
    This week, the Golden Bears will host #12 Arizona State (5-1).
    In recruiting news, the following Cal targets have announced their decisions:
    - (****) WR Sean Pino has committed to Oregon State
    - (****) RT Eric Montgomery has committed to Cal
    =============== #20 Oregon State Beavers (5-1) ===============
    Last week, Oregon State won 31-21 against Washington State (4-3).
    This week, the Beavers travel to Stanford to face the #14 Stanford Cardinal (5-2).
    In recruiting news, the following Oregon State targets have announced their decisions:
    - (***) RG Steve Miller has committed to Oregon State
    - (*) FB Billy Brown has committed to Oregon State
    - (***) RE Brian Merrick has committed to Oregon State
    - (***) MLB Eric Mills has committed to Stanford
    - (****) RE Mike Townsend has committed to Oregon State
    - (****) WR Sean Pino has committed to Oregon State
    =============== Utah Utes (4-2) ===============
    Last week, Utah won 51-35 against BYU (1-5).
    This week, the Utes travel to Seattle to face the #21 Washington Huskies (5-1).
    In recruiting news, the following Utah targets have announced their decisions:
    - (***) CB Lewis Bryant has committed to Washington
    =============== #12 Arizona State Sun Devils (5-1) ===============
    Last week, Arizona State won 47-30 against USC (4-3).
    This week, the Sun Devils travel to Berkeley to face the Cal Golden Bears (4-2).
    In recruiting news, the following Arizona State targets have announced their decisions:
    - (***) CB Donny Lewis has committed to Arizona State
    - (****) WR Marco Ryan has committed to Arizona State
    =============== Arizona Wildcats (4-3) ===============
    Last week, Arizona won 49-42 against Colorado (2-5).
    This week, the Wildcats travel to Pasadena to face the #1 UCLA Bruins (7-0).
    In recruiting news, the following Arizona targets have announced their decisions:
    - (***) CB Josh Romero has committed to Colorado
    =============== Washington State Cougars (4-3) ===============
    Last week, Washington State lost 31-21 against Oregon State (5-1).
    This week, the Cougars are idle.

2. IrishBearcat

UCLA has a HUGE week in recruiting and rises to #1 with their win over Stanford. Congrats -Cougars-

- (****) WR Sean Pino has committed to Oregon State :mad: MNoffke

• Like Like x 1
  3. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

Thank you kind sir

4. IrishBearcat

CALIFORNIA: 14
    #12 ARIZONA STATE: 21

Cal still isn't quite there yet. I've been really just dropping back and running plays this season, and this was the first game I tried to play really sound. I had focused on defense because that's what I always struggle with, and I was quite pleased with the results. The next step will be to tune up the passing attack, but it could take some time with the backup QB being thrown into the starting spot.

I was down 0-7 in a very defensive game. Felt like ASU was a few plays away from blowing the game wide open. We battled back and were tied at 7-7 after the 2nd quarter. I was playing great defense, but the offense was sputtering. I threw an awful pick right to the defender on a WR screen so the backup was rattled. Tried to hide him after that, and it was producing mixed results.

Second half we got into field goal range and then proceeded to get sacked on 3rd down. We missed the 50 yard field goal which was big. I had a really sexy pick six where I somehow broke free out of huge pile for a touchdown. Up 14-7 things were looking good. The next play my MLB should've picked it off again, but he didn't jump up and pick it for some reason. The safety whiffed on the tackle, and ASU to the hizzy. I hate when plays like that happen, especially when you call Cover 3!

14-14 Redd was in 3rd and 10 and burnt me on a WR screen for a touchdown. I saw the play but my MLB was blocked nicely. Down 14-21 with a minute left it was time to chuck it. We were driving down the field and looked like we may tie it. I hit a post over the middle and it was one of the those immediate big hits that looked like it should've been an incomplete pass but it was a fumble. Game over.

The pieces are moving into place. If we land the targets we should in recruiting S3 should be a breakout year for Cal. It's important we wrack up as many wins as possible this season as well. 9-3 here we come!

GG CoachRedd

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  5. CoachRedd

CoachRedd I come through in something real foolish

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Arizona State 21
    California 14
    The #12 Arizona State Sun Devils escaped with a win against a fiesty Cal team on Saturday. Cal came into the game lead by backup QB Kyle Boehm after starter Zach Maynard suffered a season ending injury. Boehm struggled mightily going a measly 5-16 for only 98 yards with 2 INTs. The Sun Devil defense took advantage of the inexperienced QB and harassed him all day forcing bad throws while also recovering 3 turnovers off the Cal offense. On offense, The Sun Devils struggled as well but were aided by a couple big plays in the passing game. QB Brock Osweiler only completed 45%(10-22) of his passes but hit on 75- and 81-yard TDs to wideouts JJ Holiday and Jamal Miles respectively. 2011 Pac 12 RB of the year Cameron Marshall could not get anything going all day as he was the focus of Cal's defensive gameplan. On 16 carries he managed a putrid 39 yards.​

Game Changing Moment: Tied at 14 with 1 minute to play, QB Brock Osweiler hit WR JJ Holiday on a WR screen that went 75 yards to the house for the lead.​

Player of the Game: Punter Andrew Garoutte played a huge role in the defensive game by flipping field position. He had 5 punts in total that averaged 41+ yards.​

Status: The Sun Devils are 2nd in the Pac 12 South at 6-1(3-1)​

Up Next: @ Oregon State​

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
    • Like Like x 1