Week 9 Summaries

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by T2, Oct 28, 2010.

1. T2

T2 Smarter than your average bear!

post em here!

2. Big-Bear-W

Big-Bear-W Walk On

What a battle SDSU beats TCU for the first time under Big Bear's watch. Clock killing drive and the FG to win... full report to come.

3. indyballin22

indyballin22 Walk On

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"We were dominated in the second half." The Blazers where not able to keep the winning streak alive. The Blazers where handed a lose by Nevada today. Nevada did whatever they wanted to. The Blazers were hurt by the short passing game all day. "We came out very well. Our defense got a few stops. On offense we were mixing it up with the run and pass. The long ball that Nevada got right before halftime would really hurt us." The Wolfpack would heave a ball down the field with about 22 seconds left and it would prove to be a huge swinging point in the game as Nevada would go into the locker room up 13-7 instead of down 6-7. "I take the blame of this lose on myself. After they threw that big play before halftime I got a little inpatiant with the offense and tried to go for too many big plays instead of mixing it up and keeping Nevada on their toes. Next week we need to get back on track, we are 4-3 and have a shot at this Conference USA Championship and certaintly have an opportunity to become bowl eligable with 2 more wins. We will keep striving to get better."

4. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

Nevada 34 UAB 7
    [​IMG]
    Before I get into the recap, Props must go to indy. With 2 mins left in the game (i think?) i was booted out of the game with a 27-7 lead in this game. Indy was given the choice to continue the game and decided to do so, and I thank him for that.
    Nevada was on the road this week as Coach Zikry had his first out of conference game as the Wolfpack faced a UAB team that was still in the mix in the ultra-competitive conference USA. The first half was tightly contested, and the first points weren't scored until the 2nd quarter, when Nevada had to settle for a field goal as they were stopped by the UAB defense, taking the 3-0 lead. UAB responded immediately as a perfect option play sprung running back Chris Gaston loose, and he was able to take it in for the 62 yard score to give UAB the 7-3 lead. Nevada would settle for another field goal on their ensuing drive, before UAB went on offense and were forced to punt with about 20 seconds left in the half. Given the ball at their own 25, and with about 13 seconds left, the Nevada Wolfpack were down 7-6 and decided to take a chance, coming out in 5 wide and hoping they could find a mismatch on the field. As soon as Magleby saw that UAB had 4 defensive linemen on the field, he audibled wide receiver Moe Patterson on a deep streak route, hoping to get the one on one matchup. Magleby stepped back and launched the ball deep down the right sideline, and Patterson was able to make the miraculous catch and run by the UAB defense, scoring on the 75 yard bomb to give Nevada the 13-7 lead at half. Said Zikry after the game:​
    "That play was the real game changer tonight. We were thinking of just running it out and taking it to half seeing that we were doing well on defense against UAB but Magleby came up to me and said that we could catch them deep here and we went ahead and tried it. We were lucky that it worked this time and you could see the UAB kids' heads drop after that touchdown. At that point we knew that we had taken any kind of momentum that UAB had gathered away and that we could come out in the 2nd half and win this one."​
    The 2nd half was all Nevada as UAB was held scoreless in the half. Lampford Mark made his return to the team this week after a 5 week absence due to injury and he made it look as if he didn't miss a beat as he scored 3 touchdowns in the 2nd half. First, he took it in from 16 yards out in the 3rd quarter before adding a 3 and 2 yard run for touchdowns in the 4th quarter. Nevada came out and relied on their running game for most of the 2nd half and were able to really limit the passing game of UAB tonight, which was a good thing because the Nevada defense was getting hurt on the ground in the 1st half. Nevada, 7-2 (5-0) are now on a 6 game winning streak and will face Idaho, 1-6 (0-4) next week.​
    gg indy!!​
    Nevada Wolfpack Player Stats:
    QB Mason Magleby: 14-22, 245 yards, 1 TD​
    HB Lampford Mark: 30 rush attempts, 131 yards, 3 TDs​
    WR Moe Patterson: 4 catches, 126 yards, 1 TD​
    SS Duke Williams: 2 tackles, 1 interception, 1 forced fumble.​

5. Big-Bear-W

Big-Bear-W Walk On

SHOCK THE MONKEY

He shied away from admitting it. You could see it in his eyes. But he wouldn't admit it.

Coach Big-Bear wanted the win over TCU. He wanted it badly. Last year the Horned Frogs embarassed SDSU 34-15.

This year the Aztecs got revenge.

There was a clear disparity in talent between the squads. However, SDSU managed to keep up through the first quarter. TCU started to pull away, and the hearts of Aztec fans began to sink. The Horned Frogs built a 24-14 lead through the second quarter. Then the Aztecs came alive, and the spark was an unlikely source...

HB Ronnie Hillman had a breakout game last week against New Mexico. He planted his feet and formally announced his arrival in this game against TCU. Ryan Lindley breathed a sigh of relief that the cavalry had arrived. Coach Big-Bear had never completely given up on the run, and the persistence paid off here. Ronnie Hillman marched the ball like a determined soldier, and occassionally broke some plays outside for substantial gains.

[​IMG]

On the strength of Hillman, the Aztecs put two majors on the board to close the first half. 28-24 in SDSU's favour heading into the break.

In the third quarter TCU put up two field goals as both defenses decided to contribute to the cause. The score was 30-28, advantage TCU. A fumble return for a touchdown by TCU was called back when evidence clearly established that Hillman had hit the ground before the ball popped lose.

Another touchdown by Hillman's backup, Walter Kazee, put the Aztecs ahead 35-30. TCU responded, but missed the two-point conversion attempt. With time trickling away, the Horned Frogs lead 36-35. Coach Big-Bear started to look like his golden chance was slipping away.

With a newly revived offense, now operating with a ground attack, the Aztecs made their comeback. Hillman was pivotal. Just trying to get in field goal range SDSU kept rolling and the clock kept draining as they drew nearer and nearer to FG range. The Aztecs have had dreadful luck with field goals this year. The drive was extended on a clutch throw from Lindley on 3rd and 8, which shows that he is still the lynch pin of the offense.

With the final seconds ticking away, SDSU notched the field goal to win 38-36.

Ryan Lindley finished 23/36 for 335 yds with 2 TD's and 2 INT's
    Ronnie Hillman was stellar with 116 Yds on 17 attempts and 2 TD's.

[​IMG]

6. bamagrad

bamagrad Back to Back British Amateur Champion

Tech shocks Hawaii 64-63 in Ot, i'll let Bob provide the write-up to this truly amazing game.

The stat that stands for me is this for Moniz

Bryant Moniz 28 24 571 5 1

That 1 Int coupled with my team fumbling the ball 3 times in this game is what provided the comeback in this game.

7. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Great win Bear. Just what I did not want to hear, you now have a running game to worry about. That TCU squad is tough. You have beaten both them and Utah so far this season. Nice work. Looks like I am next.

Bama, that is an impressive state line. You have some amazing receivers it looks like.

8. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    Amazing isn't the word. Bama played great. I just got lucky with his fumbles, I believe two were on the sideline after 40+ yard gains. I will post a recap. Want it to be legit!

9. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    EPIC!
    LTU comes back from the dead to win 64-63 in OT
    [​IMG]

This was a game for the ages. A great coach in Hawaii came to Ruston, La..and the Bulldogs provided a diaper dandy(literally). The game started with the Bulldogs receiving the opening kickoff and then marching down the field behind the legs of Lennon Creer. Creer would cap the drive with a 1 yard TD. Less than 20 seconds later Hawaii and their stud QB Moniz would score a touchdown on a 73 yard catch and run by Darius Bright. This would become a theme on the day. Not to be outdone by the powerful flyin Hawaiian offense, LTU came right back down the field and Creer would score his second of the game. 14-7, and only 3 minutes into the game. Hawaii would do it again, come right back down the field and score on a 4 yard touchdown run to make the game 14-14. The fireworks have just begun.

The second quarter provided tons of sparks, but only by the visiting team. 34 points scored in the second, and 28 by the Warriors. LTU K Matt Nelson kicked off the points battle with a 37 yard FG. After that Hawaii would score on a 18 yard pass, a 62 yard pass, a pick six for 33 yards, and 58 yard rush by Rosenhill. 42-20, and the Bulldog nation began to leave the stadium. Halftime couldn't come fast enough for LTU, adjustments needed to be made. Even though they gave up 42 points, the Bulldogs knew they could move the ball on the Warriors. They just needed to relax and take a deep breath.

The comeback begins in the third quarter. The Warriors couldn't get anything going on the first few drives of the third and after a fumble, LTU pounced. Quarterback Colby Cameron would use the pass to get down the field, and WR Cruz Williams was open quite a bit. This would get them down the field, and Creer would cap off the drive to make the score 42-27. Maybe there is a chance...On the very next offensive possession for the Warriors, Muniz would drop back on a third down and try and throw a quick pass to the WR in the flat. CB Terry Carter had other ideas and he stepped in front of the pass and raced down the field to make the score 42-34. The momentum and the fans were back in the favor of the Bulldogs. Hawaii RB Rosenhill would add his third touchdown of the day right before the end of the third, to lengthen the lead for the Warriors. 49-34, and the announcers are saying the Bulldogs are down for the count.

What they didn't realize is, this team has fight. Knowing the score, and the probability of not stopping the Warriors, the Bulldogs went to a one dimensional offense. Colby Cameron would hit Cruz Williams for a 73 yard score to make the game 49-41 with 6:29 to go in the game. Hawaii would then fumble the kickoff, and LTU tied the game at 49, when Creer scored his 4th Td of the afternoon. In the great words of Keith Jackson...WHOA NELLIE..we got a damn ball game now. 6:15 to go, and Hawaii easily drove down the field to go up by 7, with 5:29 to go. The pace of the game slowed, and after a failed fourth down deep inside the Warriors territory things looked bleak for the Bulldogs. Then the unthinkable happened. After a huge pass play, the Hawaiian WR was stripped of the ball, and the Bulldog defense scooped it up right before touching the sideline chalk. The play was reviewed and reviewed on TV, but the replay booth never sent the call down to the referees. LTU still has a surviving chance. After using a 3 min drive to put themselves in a fourth and goal from the 10, QB Cameron threw a pass that looked tipped, but WR Fortson came down with the ball and the game was tied at 56. Only :10 seconds left, and the game inched towards Overtime.

Overtime was crazy. After winning the toss Hawaii chose to play offense first. Advantage then went to LTU. Hawaii did score on a nice touchdown pass to the HB. 63-56. At this point the coaches at LTU decided to gather the team together and tell them that if we score a touchdown we are ending this bitch (true words..haha..lol). One way or another..win or lose, the coaches told them we are going for two. The Bulldogs used a different strategy during the overtime period. They pounded the ball up the gut, something that wasn't really there earlier in the game. With a 5 yard run, 6 yard run, 3 yard run...they inched toward the goaline. 3rd and goal from the 3 yard line, Cameron handed the ball off to Creer and he used the center's block to score the touchdown..63-62..and then the biggest play in Louisiana Tech football. The coaching staff decided to call yet another running play figuring the Hawaiian defense was worn out. The Oline really showed what they have by holding their blocks, and Creer would get the ball..and then...THE BULLDOGS WIN, THE BULLDOGS WIN, THE LTU BULLDOGS PULLED OFF THE SHOCKER!

Holy hell, that was a game....great game Bama..it will go down as one of the weirdest, funniest, mistake proned games I have ever played. Blown assignments, fumbles, dumb play calls by me, I felt like the AI was wayyyy offf..

Hawaii QB 24/28 571 5 TDs
    LTU QB 25/44 464 2 TDs
    Hawaii RB Hogan Rosenhill 9 car 90 yards 3 TDs
    LTU RB Lennon Creer 25 car 89 yards 5 TDs

Hawaii WR Darius Bright 4 catches 134 yards 1 TD
    Hawaii WR Joe Avery 3 catches 115 yards 1 TD
    Hawaii WR Branden Moore 6 catches 106 yards 1 TD
    Hawaii WR Ryce Pollard 4 catches 103 yards 1 TD
    Hawaii RB Rosenhill 3 catches 80 yards

LTU WR Cruz Williams 13 catches 307 yards 1 TD
    LTU WR Carey Fortson 5 catches 66 yards 1 TD

..no need for defensive players..there was no defense...

[​IMG]

10. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Defense (clap, clap) Defense (clap, clap) Defense (clap, clap) Defense (clap, clap)

11. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

After the loss in their last game played the Cowboys had an attitude this week. It didnt start of well for the cowboys as they found themselves down 10-0 against the Utes early. After trading touchdowns in the 2nd quarter Wyoming would score 21 unanswered points in the 2nd quarter to take a 28-17 lead into halftime. Wyoming would dominate the 3rd quarter as well scoring 21-7 and making it a 49-17 lead into the 4th quarter where thw cowboys would only give up 1 td and kick a fg for themselves winning the game 52-31.

Samuels 26-41 458yds 4tds 0ints
    McNeil 9rec 146yds 1td
    Brown 5rec 142yds 1td