Week 9 Summary (Cincinnati at Louisville)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Jbbubba, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Jbbubba

Jbbubba Walk On

Cincinnati at Louisville
    Battle for the Keg of Nails
    In the land of the free two things are always certain. One, that we have the right to speak freely no matter what. Two, college football rivalries bring out the best in two fierce enemies who hate each other's guts. The second was proven tonight as Cincinnati slugged it out with Louisville (thumbs up if you caught the reference) for the right to carry the Keg of Nails, a trophy that signifies the recipient players are "tough as nails". Boy, would that be an adequate descriptor of the winners when the dust settled.
    The first quarter started off mostly strong for Louisville, as with the opening possession they drove the ball down the field on the heels of quarterback and sprinter extraordinare Bridgewater. They managed to get within the ten yard line before Bridgewater coughed up the ball and Cincinnati recovered, preventing any early fireworks for the Cardinal. Cincinnati started their first possession true to their roots, jamming the ball down the throats of Louisville by way of George Winn. He gained a first down but was just shy of another, causing Cincinnati to punt. Two three-and-outs for both teams ensued. The next Louisville possession brought the opening to the scoring, a twenty-five yard rushing touchdown by Wright who exploited the daylight opened by his blockers. Louisville converted the PAT to make the score 7-0 at the end of the first.
    The opening Bearcat possession of the second quarter was a quick three-and-out, and Louisville got on the board again with a short TD pass on a slant route to make the score 14-0. Cincinnati got the ball back with three minutes remaining in the half, and they used it fully to their advantage. Quarterback Brandon Kay (who come to find out is a ginger, go figure) engineered a masterful 52 yard bomb to Kenneth Thompkins on third down just shy of midfield that was stopped just short of the endzone. Two plays later, Kay and Thompkins connected again, this time for the touchdown that made the game 14-7 Louisville, the score at the half after an unimportant interception with time expired.
    The third quarter brought a return to the run first mantra that the Bearcats were predicated on. George Winn was the workhorse of this four minute drive that resulted in a two yard run for a touchdown, tying the score at 14. Louisville went three-and-out, and suddenly the Bearcats were in a position to take charge of the game with minimal time remaining in the third.
    The Bearcat's next drive started off with some steady running by Winn, and a big play off of a 22 yard pass from Kay to Andrew McClung. A holding penalty on a long run gave the Bearcats a first and twenty. Winn gained 8 yards on a draw as time expired in the third. After an unsuccessful pass, Kay connected with McClung for another huge play, this time 28 yards downfield, that was halted just short of the goal line. Next play, Ralph David Abernathy, the second-stringrunning back for the Bearcats who is showing great promise, ran the ball in to give Cincinnati the lead 21-14. The next possession for Louisville would be important in determining the outcome of the game. Their drive started off strong, with Bridgewater throwing a 35 yard pass that would have been a touchdown if the receiver didn't have to lay out for the ball. The Bearcat defense held strong, and a 52 yard field goal attempt by Louisville fell short, setting Cincinnati up to eat the clock. And eat the clock they did. Receiving the ball with 4:53 left in the fourth, George Winn repeatedly gashed the defense for 5 to 10 yard runs at a time. At this point, Louisville was dunzo, and a couple more runs sealed the win for the Bearcats, putting them at 4-3 overall, 2-0 in conference play, and brought them the Keg of Nails for another year.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Key Contributers through Week 8
    Passing: Jordan Luallen, 118.7 rating, 59/121 for 914 yards, 6 TD's and 6 INT's
    Brandon Kay, 154.1 rating, 24/47 for 443 yards, 4 TD's and 1 INT
    Rushing: George Winn, 167 rushes for 813 yards and 5 TD's
    Ralph David Abernathy 18 rushed for 65 yards and 3 TD's
    Receiving: Kenbrell Thompkins, 24 catches for 371 yards and 3 TD's
    Andrew McClung, 19 catches for 415 yards and 5 TD's
    Defense: Solomon Tentman, 51 tackles, 31 solo, 6 TFL, 2 FF and 1 FR
    Nick Temple, 33 solo, 8 TFL, 1 sack, 1 FF

• Like Like x 2
  2. Juicemann03

Juicemann03 Walk On

I normally everyone lets Jbbubba handle this but after last nights nail biting barn burner, i have to speak on it. (Not to mention I'm bored at work)

The mighty Trojans strolled into Arizona after a lopsided win over Colorado (I apologize for the blowout) riding high and expecting an easy win, but the wildcats and Coach Rodriguez had other plans in mind. USC chose to defer til halftime thinking they would be up and would have another chance to score first in the third but earlly on it wouldnt seem that way. The Wildcats came out on their first drive with a 3rd Down bomb to WR #4 Dan Buckner from QB #10 for Matt Scott for a 79 yard TD. No matter...the Trojans calmly walked (not marched) down the field and evened the score on a 1 yard TD run by RB DJ Morgan. The wildcats would drive down the field on their next drive (easily might i add) only to stall in the redzone and come away with a measily field goal. THe Trojans would go 3 n out and punt heading into the 2nd....END OF FIRST QUARTER USC 7-ARZ 10

The start of the second started like the first with Arizona's TE #83 Michael Cooper Scoring a 0 yard TD From None other than QB #10 Matt Scott to go up 17-7 over the Trojans. On the ensuing drive it took USC just 1 minute off the clock to march (they marched with conviction this time) down the field to cap it off with a 3 yard TD run by RB #22 Curtis Mcneal.
    After another stellar defensive stop by the awesome (SHAKY AT TIMES) defense of the Trojans we would score again on a 47 yard TD pass to WR #9 Marqise Lee from QB #7 Matt Barkley (Its about time he get his head in the game). The wildcats would then turn the ball over and the Trojans would capitalize and score once again on a 7 yard TD scamper by RB #22 Curtis Mcneal (LOOK MA 2 TD's IN ONE GAME) it was his first time doing this all year so he felt special...back to the game, by now the Trojans were up 28-17 over the Wildcats and was starting to sniff an easy win on the stove, but hold on to your jock straps. At the end of the 2nd the Wilcats would score on a 27 yard 4 broken takles gallop by RB #25 Ka'Deem Carey leaving the wildcats being only down by 4. the Trojans would throw in a sneak play to crawl there way into field goal range and hit to make the game 31- 24 USC at the half.

Normally USC would be up at this time so deferring to halftime would help them push their lead even higher to help them coast to victory.....WRONG!!! Coach Rodriguez had to have went in the locker room, kicked over some gatorade jugs, slapped the water boy, broke so famous signs, and gave them one hellified talking to cause they came out booming. The third quarter had no fireworks. Only a bobbled 41 yard TD catch by WR #9 Marqise Lee from QB #9 Matt Barkley, and a field goal by Arizan to make the game 38-27 USC going into the fourth and most electrifying quarter (By Arizona at least) of the whole game.

After a 3 and out USC would punt the ball and pin Arizona on their own 11 yard line. First play on their drive QB #10 Matt Scott would be sacked for a safety. With the game being 40-27 in the fourth with 4 minutes to go the Trojans set the game on cruise control (which would prove to be a terrible mistake) and start chewing clock. Three straight runs ending with my RB getting snot bubbled behind the line of scrimmage every time the trojans were forced to punt. The Wilcats didnt march, walk, nor did they run down the field but air mailed it to the endzone on a 70 yard bomb to WR #14 Richard Morrison from...U guessed it QB #10 Matt Scott. The trojans looked at their cushion and figured they could run out the 2 minutes and change that was left. A few first downs later the trojans were faced wit a managable 3 and 6 jus shy of field goal range when they decided to hit em with something they hadnt seen the whole game...PLAY ACTION. Jus like everything Coach Johnson dials up it was a thing of beauty. Linebackers and DB's alike bit hard leaving the TE open as can be making it easy for him to pick up the first down. With the ball in the air somehow this guy manages to bobble the ball and fall all by his lonesome (dropping it by the way) forcing the trojans to punt yet again. With a minute and some change left the Arizona Wildcats (whom i now have a newfound respect for) drove the ball down the field with ease using timeouts as necessary and converting third downs to score on a 5 yard TD to WR #14 Richard Morrison from some guy named Matt Scott to go up 41- 40. the Trojans recived the ball with 30 seconds left and on the first play out the gate Matt Barkley tried to hit Marqise Lee streaking down the sideline only to be intercepted by the SS. Game Over....Kiss the baby, turn out the lights, go to bed....not so fast my friends. Three and out burning all their timeouts the trojans manged to force Arizona to punt. with the ball in the air Marqise Lee had a few seconds to make a split decision as to return or fair catch. At the last second he decided to return only to see that is was nowhere to go and quickly dove to the ground. with 6 seconds left on the clock Coach Johnson grabbed Matt Barkley by his facemask before he ran on the field and said "ONE PLAY!...ONE PLAY!" Matt Barkley went into the huddle and told his offense to calm down we got this. coming out of the huddle and getting in to a five wide look the defense gave the same prevent look they gave on the last play in which Barkley threw the interception, but the difference was the FS was walking toward the line of scrimmage. After letting him get settled jus behind the ROLB Barkley audibled sending Robert Woods on a 9 route (or vertical). After snappy the ball the Fs blitzed like his life depended on it leaving his CB on an island with that man out there. With the FS inches away Barkley heaved the ball and took a bone crushing hit. with the ball in the air and receiver and DB alike jockying for the ball Woods got a step and a half in front and caught the ball on the 5. The Db dove and slapped his ankle causing him to stumble and all i could think of was please dont fall please dont fall and he did jus that....right into the enzone for the TD. Giving USC a 45-43 victory.

Now if you add the scores im telling you about then look at the summary when i post it later youll end up like me wondering how the scoring went the way it did i should have had 47 and Arizona should have ended up with 41. Cause when they scored at the end last night the game was 41-40 Arizona with 35 seconds left. I think the game gave them the points for the safety....hmmmmmm

• Like Like x 3
  3. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    It does that on the Dynasty Wire, its a bug from last season. It still gives the correct team the points in the game though.

4. Jbbubba

Jbbubba Walk On

Pretty much how I somehow won against Boise State in the first game of the season, though i got aided by a roughing the passer call lol. Nice work on the writing :cool:

5. Juicemann03

Juicemann03 Walk On

preciate it... i took notes from you lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. Juicemann03

Juicemann03 Walk On

now everyone gor vote for the game of the week....

7. cmassey13

cmassey13 Walk On

[​IMG]
    Sun Devils Top UCLA 24-0 in PAC-12 Matchup
    The ASU defense kept UCLA's offense stuck in neutral in this contest as they limited the Bruins to just 4 first downs all game. The passing game showed a little extra life as well, as QB Mike Bercovici tossed 3 touchdowns while going 13 of 24 for 192 yards. HB Cameron Marshall rushed for 110 yards on 24 carries. WR Rashard Ross stole the show this week as he caught 6 passes for 139 yards and 2 touchdowns.
    Next week Arizona State goes on the road to take on Oregon State.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. dmanno2

dmanno2 Walk On

Great job on the write ups guys, and I love the game of the week idea. Sorry I've been sluggish on the boards lately (ever since school started back up, Ah the college life). Love reading this stuff though! Keep up the good work.

• Like Like x 1